Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:31 AM

23,243 posts, read 29,098,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Unlike a lot of women, I have zero empathy. Logic keeps me in line, doing the right thing.
I think someone should, at some point in time, study up on the Projection Theory! You could be a Projector!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:00 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,187,716 times
In the real world, the death penalty is rarely if ever a deterrent. Death sentences costs the state more than life without parole. And as a decider of anything, the criminal justice system is woefully biased and inaccurate.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
In the real world, the death penalty is rarely if ever a deterrent. Death sentences costs the state more than life without parole. And as a decider of anything, the criminal justice system is woefully biased and inaccurate.
That's be cause of poor execution. We can't deter people who are natural born killers because of their genetics and environment. We have to exterminate those for the greater good of society. Reproduction is pathetically easy in this world.

Gun shot to the head cheaper than keeping the jails running and the criminals from hurting the innocents.

If there not be death sentences in other parts of the world, we all be carrying guns around protecting ourselves. We cannot allow criminals who will become repeat offenders to keep repeating the same crime. Not all life is valuable, only the good souls.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,187,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's be cause of poor execution. Gun shot to the head cheaper than keeping the jails running.
The costs come from defending against appeals (many of which are mandatory) in capital cases and the separate standards of housing and care for death-row inmates. Like it or not, we are not going to be doing some "Back to Barbarism" thing at this point, so death sentences will continue to cost more taxpayer dollars than simple time in prison. We would of course be much better off in simply joining the rest of the civilized world in getting rid of the death penalty altogether. It does us no actual good at all.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:41 AM

50,932 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Question to those saying we are no better than them. Then do you think after WWII had Hitler been captured it would've been better to just keep him locked away till he died, or in ultimate poetic justice how would you feel had they captured him, interrogated and tortured him then put him in one of his own gas chambers and film him being gassed and dying and broadcasting it?

Also, hypothetically speaking let's say we did summarily execute every person in the U.S prison system convicted of the crimes I have stated above, morals and ethics aside, would it not be much better for everyone? MUCH fewer people to go re-commit their crimes, MUCH money saved from housing/feeding these wastes of flesh that could be used to go to those that are actually part of the human species, less prison riots, etc. etc.
Gee, why don't you pick a more extreme example?

It's sad that some people think that morality ~ money.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I'm against the DP because we can't get it 100% right, 100% of the time. Too many innocents have been on death row. As for Hitler, even considering if he's a special case, and I'm ok, with his execution, I would not be okay with torture, and televised torture and execution. We have to be better as a society than he was.
Well said. In fact we have to be the polar opposite of him.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Unlike a lot of women, I have zero empathy. Logic keeps me in line, doing the right thing.
Logic keeps you in line. Well, criminals have logic, too.

One person's logic may be perceived by others as something quite different.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And how is "said review" going to work out when the real perpetrator is found later, or the prosecutor is proven to have withheld evidence? ...
Well, I guess by the people that use that logic, then everyone of those people involved in the wrongful conviction and who participated in the death panel would need to be put down, as well.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
That's be cause of poor execution. We can't deter people who are natural born killers because of their genetics and environment. We have to exterminate those for the greater good of society. Reproduction is pathetically easy in this world. Gun shot to the head cheaper than keeping the jails running and the criminals from hurting the innocents.
It's not a deterrent, it will never be a deterrent. Think about it. Homicide committed against a stranger is an act that is abhorrent to most people, the perpetrator of such an act clearly is a sociopath or a psychopath. Their 'wiring' is such that they have no regard for the punishment for their act because they are unable to consider that they could possibly be caught. Homicide committed against a person who is known to the offender is generally a spontaneous act brought on by extreme feelings of hatred or jealousy. People who commit spontaneous acts have clearly not considered the consequence of their act.

Our love affair with the death penalty is derived from our Calvinistic roots, which espouses a theory that some people are so inherently evil that they deserve extreme forms of punishment, i.e. witch burning. The more conservative a person's politics the more likely they are to subscribe to at least some of the tenets of Calvinism which supports extreme, vengeful punishment as a means of social control.

PublicEye.org - The Website of Political Research Associates

Regarding this:
Quote:
If there not be death sentences in other parts of the world, we all be carrying guns around protecting ourselves.
" There were only 20 countries were known to have put prisoners to death in 2011. The United States was the only country in the Western hemisphere or among the G8 nations to carry out executions, and was the fifth country in terms of known executions carried out in the world, behind China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. China. With 13 executions, Texas would have ranked 7th as an independent country, between North Korea and Somalia"

"China, together with Iran, North Korea, Yemen and the US (the only G7 country to still execute people) carried out the most executions last year. Excluding China, the report says"

Old 10-08-2015, 03:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,349,061 times
I saw the title of this thread and was ready to extol the virtues of humanity till I opened it up and realized you're talking about sub-humans. Bullets are cheap.

And another thing. These scumbags (and that's an insult to scum) affect the lives of their victims FOREVER and frequently affect the lives of the victim's loved ones and future loved ones. Oh no. I'd gladly pull the switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates