Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 08:39 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The kind of Christian who believes that charity should be done in the manner prescribed by the Bible:

1. by individuals, families, and churches (not by government)
2. willingly (not under force of law)
3. motivated by love (not by pity or guilt)
4. to those who cannot provide for themselves and their families (not to those who can, but refuse to, provide for themselves and their families)

Is welfare scriptural? - Christian Finances, Money Management, Debt
I would like to see charity done in this manner also. But let's face it, if the churches were really filling the needs of people, would we be having the problems in our society that we do in trying to shelter the homeless and feed the hungry?

I would love to see the tax exempt status on churches taken away, but I would also like to see it given back to churches that donate a certain percentage of their money to charity, as long as it's not their own charity. That would do two things: 1) reward the churches who do donate and 2) bring in some much needed money into the government coffers. And hope the Pentagon doesn't use that money to start another war.

And then there's these Christians:

Megachurch Megabusiness

Scroll down and check out the Megaprosperous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Bigoted against Christians much? Make sweeping generalizations much?
This is just a stab in the dark, but I'd bet at least 90% or more of those opposing abortions are Christians. And I further bet all of those Christians oppose abortion, not because they feel it's wrong, but because they have told by pastors and parents all their lives that it should be wrong.

It's not Buddhists and Confucians who are out there protesting in front of the clinics. It's Christians. So if the shoe fits......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
The kind of Christian who believes that charity should be done in the manner prescribed by the Bible:

4. to those who cannot provide for themselves and their families (not to those who can, but refuse to, provide for themselves and their families)

Is welfare scriptural? - Christian Finances, Money Management, Debt
Wow, that article is very ill-informed. One thing I'll note is that it claims you have to prove you are not working to receive welfare. False! That is only disability, that you CAN'T work. Over 80% of people on welfare have a job, most are only on it for a year.

I hate to break it to you, but you live in America which means you have to pay taxes. There is no getting around that. When you vote, you are CHOOSING how those tax dollars will be spent. When you vote Republican you are voting to give money back to the uber wealthy and away from the hands of the poor (and I am not just talking welfare, I mean fair wages, healthcare, fair taxes, education etc). When you vote Democrat, you are voting for money to help those who need it most, low and middle income families, veterans, the elderly, the disabled etc. It is a CHOICE you are consciously making.

But let's see what the Bible says about it:

First you must pay your taxes and government leaders are God's servants which means you should elect people who would do as He would.

"This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

People who make unjust laws are bad and we should not oppress the poor. Today the poor are being oppressed by low wages and the widening gap between classes as well as unfair advantages in regards to education. All these things are championed by Republicans.

"Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.” -- Isaiah 10:1-2

A leader who keeps poor people down accomplishes nothing.

"A ruler who oppresses the poor is like a driving rain that leaves no crops.” -- Proverbs 28:3

So yeah, it is the government's job to help the poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why don't churches do more? churches, collectively have enough wealth, ten times over to solve the hungry, homeless AND poor mothers with dependent children. but they don't. churches should be forced to use a larger percentage of their bounty for this purpose or be taxed. willing? if you are so stingy not to want to help people in need. you should fined.
They are too busy building mega churches and buying mansions and riding in limos to help the poor.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Two can play this game.

Since you insist that killing a fetus is not a sin unless the Bible specifically states that it is, please show me where the United States Constitution specifically states that a woman has the right to have an abortion.
Where does the Constitution mention abortion at all?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:06 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here in Ohio the most you get for abusing or killing a dog or cat is a suspended sentence and a small fine, usually only a few hundred dollars.

Kill an infant or a child and you get life in prison or the death sentence.
But a fetus? A free pass.

Most cases here in Alabama are a misdemeanor for animal abuse, but some can carry a class C felony charge.

It even gets more hypocritical. If someone harms a pregnant woman here in Alabama and the baby dies, that could be considered murder. If a fetus has no rights, then how is it murder?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:

Why aren't all Christians "one of these charitable individuals or families or churches?" Hypocrisy. #4 is the typical dodge used by hard hearted cheap-o's that want an excuse to not do the right (Christian) thing. Someone blind can provide for themselves and their families. So can someone crippled. About the only people who cannot provide for themselves are the dead. So therefore, no one living really needs Christian Charity. Nice. Slick. We'll keep our tithes and use them in a proper Christian manner, thank-you. The good work of feeding the (lazy) poor and seeing to their other needs can be done by those others not under a higher authority.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
But a fetus? A free pass.

Most cases here in Alabama are a misdemeanor for animal abuse, but some can carry a class C felony charge.

It even gets more hypocritical. If someone harms a pregnant woman here in Alabama and the baby dies, that could be considered murder. If a fetus has no rights, then how is it murder?
If abortion is murder, then how can you legally terminate a pregnancy in the case of rape or incest?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
No, I do not support abortion being illegal. Why? Because women are going to have them whether they're legal or not, and it's better that they are safe, legal and affordable.
Its illegal for women to kill newborn babies but it still happens. So should we get legalize infanticide too because people do it anyway?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Its illegal for women to kill newborn babies but it still happens. So should we get legalize infanticide too because people do it anyway?
A full-term newborn baby can live outside the womb. A 20 week old fetus can't. What's your point?

Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDog1993 View Post
If a woman knows she needs one, she should be able to have one.

If a woman knows she wants one, that means jack doodoo. I care about protecting life, the life of the woman and the unborn person that is the child. The life of the child is a world more important than the quality of life of the woman. Abortion is only acceptable if there's a risk the mother might actually die or maybe in cases of proven rape or incest.
Have you heard of hypermesis gravidarum? It can cause death if left untreated. Even if treated the "quality of life" that you think is unimportant for the woman is severely diminished. I'm not talking about your average morning sickness. These women can lose up to 40% of their body weight from severe morning sickness. I lost nearly 30 lbs in my first trimester and I wasn't a big girl to begin with. Women who suffer from this typically won't die, but they are incapable of doing anything. They will be frequenting the hospital for things like dehydration, blood pressure problems, heart rate issues, and all those other issues that arise when your body is starving and you can't eat. Working? Impossible. Some days you can barely move you're so sick. Taking care of your other kids? It's hard to do when you're in the hospital or incapable of getting out of bed because you're so weak.

So, should a woman be able to consider abortion in this case or because she can probably live through it with a greatly diminished quality of life should it not be an option? Should she have to destroy her body to carry the baby to term? Just imagine hardly being able to eat for several months and the toll it would take on you physically. Then add being pregnant to it.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
My wish would be that abortion be legal, safe, very rarely used and performed early when used. Any abortions after the 1st trimester should be only to save the life of the mother and then everything should be done to save both lives if possible.

And FTR back before Roe vs. Wade my mother's doctor suggested a D&C when she turned up pregnant with my youngest brother because he believed she might not survive another pregnancy. Fortunately, both she and my brother were fine. There have always been doctors who would help women who truly needed an abortion. The problem has always been the ones who just want one for convenience sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates