Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 02:40 AM

17 posts, read 9,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
False. All humans are dying, some more slowly than others. And "only needs time inside" is the very crux of the matter. So much for "it's just nutrients." We do not force our citizens to allow other people to use their organs or tissue without their consent. If there were a viable alternative to the uterus, where a fetus could be supplanted and exist without her, that would be an interesting debate. Until then, no. Bodily autonomy trumps it.

Well, murder is illegal, so legal abortion is not murder, but I recognize you are speaking emotionally. There are several instances where homicide is legal. I don't like abortion either, but that's why I haven't had any.

Again, irrelevant. If I tie my father up and poison him, causing his kidneys to shut down and the only way he will survive is if I give him a kidney, there is no law that can make me. I can be tried for murder and you can possibly kill me as punishment, but you still cannot take my organs, even after I am dead.

Not be in favor of life would be in itself a hypocritical act, since we are denying others a right that we enjoy ourselves. It would be a selfish act, since we care so much for our lives, but the lives of others we despise. Abortion is suffering for a being who did nothing to suffer. Legalizing the practice is to accept injustice against those who only crave the fair right to be born.

Abortion is not even self love, on the contrary, love consists of courage and sacrifice, and abortion is the woman assuming that she is weak and selfish, weaker than the society that will judge her for no reason. Abortion is degrading act, worse than any circumstance.

As for your dad, even if you couldn't be forced to donate him your kidney in this case, you would be held liable if he died. Woman who commit abortions should go to jail for commiting the crime of killing their fetuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 03:28 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhyanne View Post
Not be in favor of life would be in itself a hypocritical act, since we are denying others a right that we enjoy ourselves. It would be a selfish act, since we care so much for our lives, but the lives of others we despise. Abortion is suffering for a being who did nothing to suffer. Legalizing the practice is to accept injustice against those who only crave the fair right to be born.

Abortion is not even self love, on the contrary, love consists of courage and sacrifice, and abortion is the woman assuming that she is weak and selfish, weaker than the society that will judge her for no reason. Abortion is degrading act, worse than any circumstance.

As for your dad, even if you couldn't be forced to donate him your kidney in this case, you would be held liable if he died. Woman who commit abortions should go to jail for commiting the crime of killing their fetuses.
oh so youd jail women who are already worried and traumatized , now arent you the caring one.. how about the doctors and nurses performing the aborition , do you want to lock them up too..... Its a woman body and at last she has the chance to actually decide what she wants to do with it..... have any of you went though a pregnancy for nine months either knowing at the end the pressures you might be under ...or having to give the baby away..... women have died in the past through shame by other women in being pregnant and not married, by going to illegal backstreet abortionists.... can any of you imagine what it must have been like for young girls in these circumstances.... remembering that some were thrown out the house by parents, some especially in Ireland were put into intitutions for their sins... I watched a small gathering of protesters outside our big main hospital here in Glasgow all shouting about Murder with placards... most were men.... funny that isnt it....

Old 03-04-2016, 05:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
It doesn't justify killing an innocent. The right to life trumps the right to bodily autonomy.

And please, don't use organ donation as argument because pregnancy is totally different. The woman doesn't lose anything by being pregnany and the fetus doesn't take anything but nutrients.
WRONG. Women risk their lives with pregnancy.

There can be permanent damage done to a woman's body from carrying a pregnancy. Everything from urinary incontinence to death.

Fact Check: Yes, Pregnancy Can Kill | Joe Walsh

Quote:
In fact, conditions ranging from ectopic pregnancy, in which an embryo implants outside the uterus, to preeclampsia, which causes skyrocketing blood pressure and can lead to strokes and seizures, can and do threaten the lives of pregnant women. Preeclampsia and gestational high blood pressure occur in about 6 percent to 8 percent of U.S. pregnancies, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Quote:
Statistics tell a different story. In fact, though pregnancy-related deaths fell dramatically in the 20th century, they have been on the rise since 1987, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There were 7.2 deaths per 100,000 live births in 1987. By 2003, that number had risen to 14.5 deaths per 100,000 live births. [6 Politicians Who Got the Science Wrong]

No one should force a woman to risk her health or her life to carry an unwanted pregnancy.

Not your body, not your choice.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:49 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
And please, don't use organ donation as argument because pregnancy is totally different. The woman doesn't lose anything by being pregnany and the fetus doesn't take anything but nutrients.
Pregnancy is significantly more dangerous than abortion.

As far as not losing anything, tell that to my ex-boss who developed complications during pregnancy and had to go on bedrest for the last 3 months of her pregnancy where she was unable to continue working AND could not take care of her older daughter at all. The baby was born premature, she suffered some serious blows to her own house, AND she ran out of FMLA coverage so she lost her well-paying job. Her job was the better paying with the better insurance of the couple, and now they are struggling to pay for both her and their son's significant health challenges as well as figure out how to pay for normal things like mortgage and food with the loss of income. Not to mention finding a new job when you need to go to half a dozen doctor's appointments a week for either yourself or your child isn't exactly fun and games.

Granted, this was a planned-for child and they had also saved a lot in preparation for the birth. What if this was someone who didn't want a child? Maybe a single parent who suddenly found herself jobless because of pregnancy? It happens.

I had a medical abortion at 6 weeks (essentially inducing a late period - it looked no different) after my birth control failed. My oncologist told me it would be dangerous for my health and future fertility, and continuing a pregnancy would have meant spending at least the last trimester (if not more) on bed rest, losing my job as a result, and being unable to pay for my rent, utilities, food, existing cancer debt, or just about anything else living with meager savings following serious illness. Are you really telling me I would have lost nothing? Really? I would have lost EVERYTHING, including a semblance of normal health that I have worked so hard to achieve following stage IV cancer.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
My cousin developed blood clots in her lungs during pregnancy and had to go on complete bed rest, despite having three small children already. Her life was in serious danger, and her doctor warned her this was the last time she should become pregnant.
Has Maternal Mortality Really Doubled in the U.S.? - Scientific American

Maternal mortality is higher in the U.S. than China or Saudi Arabia.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM

17 posts, read 9,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
WRONG. Women risk their lives with pregnancy.

There can be permanent damage done to a woman's body from carrying a pregnancy. Everything from urinary incontinence to death.

Fact Check: Yes, Pregnancy Can Kill | Joe Walsh

No one should force a woman to risk her health or her life to carry an unwanted pregnancy.

Not your body, not your choice.
I just said I only favor abortion in cases of risk of maternal death. But the overwhelming majority of pregnancies don't represent a threat to the woman's health, therefore if a woman has good health she is not justified to abort.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
I just said I only favor abortion in cases of risk of maternal death. But the overwhelming majority of pregnancies don't represent a threat to the woman's health, therefore if a woman has good health she is not justified to abort.
Do you think there should be some arbitrary definition (i.e., decided through legal arbitration) of how in-danger any woman should be before being allowed to abort, and this definition would apply to all women, or should this be a decision made between an individual woman and her personal doctor?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:03 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Sitting talking to a woman about her background doesnt show the big picture about perhaps her abusive husband. poor housing. poverty.. all these cause illness and stress but would a doctor ask about these things..

Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
If abortion was declared illegal what would you do to care for all the unwanted children?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:

NEWSFLASH: Most of the time you cannot tell ahead of time that a woman is going to develop life threatening complications during pregnancy.....and most of the time it happens late in the pregnancy.

If they could tell ahead of time who is going to die, why would there be women dying? Think about that.

Just look at JustJulia's cousin....she never had a problem until her 4th pregnancy.....and that pregnancy could have easily killed her by the time they realized there was a problem.

So......the FACT is......anytime a woman becomes pregnant it could kill her.....there is no crystal ball that is going to tell you who is going to die.

Every woman has the right to decide if she wants to risk HER LIFE to carry a pregnancy......NO ONE ELSE should have anything to say about that decision.

It always amazes me that so many people who don't have a clue about women's health think they know it all and are in a position to dictate what women should or shouldn't do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates