Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 05:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,664,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no women don't change their mind and want to abort a healthy fetus at 8 months along. besides in most LTA you need two doctors to sign off on it and you won't find 2 docs that would sign off on aborting a healthy baby that late in the game.

so you think women should be forced to remain pregnant against their wills?
So not a single woman ever has changed their mind that late in the game?

Statistics don't agree with you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_t...n_of_pregnancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
So not a single woman ever has changed their mind that late in the game?

Statistics don't agree with you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_t...n_of_pregnancy
From your link, reasons women give for abortion after 16 weeks (note: in 1986):
  • 71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
  • 48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
  • 33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
  • 24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
  • 8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
  • 8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
  • 6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
  • 6% Woman didn't know timing is important
  • 5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion
  • 2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
  • 11% Other

None of those sound like "I just changed my mind about having a baby."

Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
That's exactly why I specified "in some meaningful way". I would also air on the side of caution. 16 weeks should be plenty of time, but once again people are stupid.
Many fetal anomalies are not easily diagnosed before 16 weeks.

How do you define "in some meaningful way"? Remember that legislation must be specific and unambiguous.

Quote:
Quote:
So people who are dumb or irresponsible should not be allowed to get abortions because they are dumb or irresponsible
When did I say that?
You keep saying people are stupid. You did it again in the post I am quoting here. I assure you that women who are not stupid also have unplanned pregnancies. Some who are not stupid find themselves needing the procedure after 16 weeks.

Quote:
The biggest problem in my eyes is the ridiculous medical and pharmaceutical industries that massively profit off of peoples health. There is no reason in the world, other than greed, for an IUD to cost 500 to 1000 dollars or BC pills to cost 50 to 100 dollars a month. It is criminal.
There are birth control pills that cost less than $10 per month (Walmart has 9 for $9 per month.), and uninsured women can get IUDs at low cost, sometimes for free. It's helpful if they have access to Planned Parenthood.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/pl...ant-at-no-cost

This program provides the device at no cost to women who meet financial guidelines and have no insurance. They would need to pay the cost of the actual insertion. That might be $150 to $250.

ARCH Patient Assistance Program for Skyla and Mirena (Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system) 13.5 mg and Mirena (Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system) 52 mg

Average cost for an IUD if you are not insured:

Cost of an IUD - Consumer Information - CostHelper

"For patients not covered by insurance, an IUD typically costs between $175 and $600 for the device, insertion and a follow-up appointment. Sometimes an appointment for a pelvic exam, where you discuss whether the IUD is right for you, is required before the insertion appointment can be made. This can cost an additional $35 to $200 -- for a total of $210 to $800."

Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
  • 71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
  • 48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
  • 33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents Told them and then changed mind.
  • 24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion Changed mind.
  • 8% Woman waited for her relationship to change Changed mind because of relationship.
  • 8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion Listened to them and changed mind.
  • 6% Something changed after woman became pregnant Changed mind.
  • 6% Woman didn't know timing is important Changed mind and dumb.
  • 5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortionChanged mind and dumb.
  • 2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
  • 11% OtherVery well could be a change of mind.

None of those sound like "I just changed my mind about having a baby."
Plenty of them cases where the woman changed their mind.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Many fetal anomalies are not easily diagnosed before 16 weeks.
Sure, fetal anomalies and health problems are an entirely different issue than elective abortion.

Quote:
How do you define "in some meaningful way"? Remember that legislation must be specific and unambiguous.
I have not done enough research on the topic to give you a good answer for that.

I was not talking about insured individuals.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times
Quote:

At 16 weeks, not 8 months.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:49 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
At 16 weeks, not 8 months.
and he still hasn't answered the questions if he wants women to remain pregnant against their wills

Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times
Quote:
That's exactly why I specified "in some meaningful way". I would also air on the side of caution. 16 weeks should be plenty of time, but once again people are stupid.

When did I say that?

The biggest problem in my eyes is the ridiculous medical and pharmaceutical industries that massively profit off of peoples health. There is no reason in the world, other than greed, for an IUD to cost 500 to 1000 dollars or BC pills to cost 50 to 100 dollars a month. It is criminal.

I certainly agree with you about that.

What gets me, is when insurance pays for those forms of contraception, so many people view it as a benefit for women, when, actually, it is also a benefit for men.

Men would rather not use condoms in a monogamous relationship and they certainly aren't fond of unplanned pregnancies.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents Told them and then changed mind.
24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion Changed mind.
8% Woman waited for her relationship to change Changed mind because of relationship.
8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion Listened to them and changed mind.
6% Something changed after woman became pregnant Changed mind.
6% Woman didn't know timing is important Changed mind and dumb.
5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortionChanged mind and dumb.
2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
11% OtherVery well could be a change of mind.
Someone who was afraid to tell about the pregnancy did not necessarily change her mind. She could have wanted the abortion all along.

Someone who delayed making a decision whether or not to abort did not change her mind. She just made the decision late. For many women it is not an easy decision.

Someone who delayed because of a relationship issue may or may not have changed her mind.

Someone who delayed because of pressure not to have an abortion is just continuing with her original decision.

If "something changed", the something could have been anything from splitting up with a partner to a medical issue. Too vague a category.

A woman who was not aware of the importance of early abortion or the availability of abortion is not necessarily dumb, just ignorant, and there is a difference between those two words. Neither of those "changed her mind" about having an abortion.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Sure, fetal anomalies and health problems are an entirely different issue than elective abortion.
Does that mean you would have a different view of the upper gestational limit for fetal anomalies or health problems?

Quote:
I have not done enough research on the topic to give you a good answer for that.
If you cannot define it, how do you use it as a criterion for the limit of gestational age for abortion?

Quote:
I was not talking about insured individuals.
Neither was I. What's insurance got to do with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates