Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 01:45 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
So this idea is not new. France has implemented something like it and Finland is also considering it: Finland wants to revamp its welfare system by simply giving people cash

The concept is something like this...

Take all the monies collected for all social services and then pay every single person in the country over the age of 18 $20,000 per year. But all social services are fully eliminated. No welfare, no food stamps, no unemployment, no housing money.... NOTHING.

People can take their $20K and use it to live on if they don't desire to work. Or, if they want to achieve more they can work in any way they want to. No one needs to beg for money. That's over. And the money is static.

How think ye?
It's the best way to do it. It's fair to everyone, and it means that there is no penalty for working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:27 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Who does Gov't confiscate the money from, to give away $20K to every citizen? The only money that government has, it has either confiscated from a working class person with a job, or simply printed/"borrowed" via the Fed (monopoly money that the taxpayer then pays interest on, now up to $18 trillion and always increasing). While living on credit seems great, there has to be an end--and it will be catastrophic when it happens to the nation as a whole.

As to giving $20K to every citizen, New York already pays a welfare mother with 2 kids $38,004 per year, and six other states pay even more (Hawaii pays $60,590 a year!). When welfare pays better than work | New York Post

Our government already gives away plenty of money to citizens--just not those in the working class, and not those who are responsible enough to refrain from breeding children they can't afford.

There are plenty of government programs at all three levels of government, which hand out CASH--just Google "cash aid" and your state for a start.

A certain portion of people (generally the ones already poor) will blow the entire amount on drugs and/or alcohol, then the liberals will go spastic as they see people who claim they have no money for food or for their (many) babies.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:40 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It's the best way to do it. It's fair to everyone, and it means that there is no penalty for working.
Why should I pay my hard earned money so some useless piece of dead worthless protoplasm can sit in a hole somewhere and live for free? No, that's not fair to anyone. That is theft from good people for the unearned and undeserved benefit of bad people. I'm with John Lenin (the Russian communist, not the American pacifist). He who does not work shall not eat.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Why should I pay my hard earned money so some useless piece of dead worthless protoplasm can sit in a hole somewhere and live for free? No, that's not fair to anyone. That is theft from good people for the unearned and undeserved benefit of bad people. I'm with John Lenin (the Russian communist, not the American pacifist). He who does not work shall not eat.
But as you already know, the majority of people receiving welfare DO work. They just don't earn enough to pay for housing AND put food on the table.

But just for clarification, are you saying then that all seniors who no longer work should starve to death? What about the handicapped and the disabled? How about pregnant women who may not be able to work? Or homeless vets with PTSD? What about stay at home mothers who don't work (i.e., earn a paycheck) so they can raise the kids, clean the house, and go on coffee klatches?

And thanks again. Now not only am I an idiot, but I'm a bad person, too, since I'm getting food stamps from those hardworking taxpayers. Things just keep getting worse and worse, don't they?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:09 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The right answers are in blue
But as you already know, the majority of people receiving welfare DO work. They just don't earn enough to pay for housing AND put food on the table.

Anybody can earn enough to pay for housing and food. The problem starts when Reason is abandoned and legs spread and penises penetrate and unscheduled kids start ejecting like frosted Pop-Tarts.

But just for clarification, are you saying then that all seniors who no longer work should starve to death?

Seniors were not born 70. They were young and strong once and should have saved for retirement while they could. Getting old is NOT A SURPRISE! Very EASY to save 10% of your income when you are young, all it takes is the smallest little brain and 1/2 ounce of thought about the future. Unless we don't demand it of people.

What about the handicapped and the disabled?

There are very few truly handicapped people. What gets defined as handicapped today can make your toes curl. I will agree to partially subsidize the ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY BLIND, DEAF, DUMB, and PEOPLE WITH NO ARMS OR LEGS. If you can see out of one eye and have one arm, you work. Or ask for charity. Partial handicaps don't qualify. You must be incapacitated beyond any hope to get stolen money. Not the BS we see today with PTSD disability assigned to some loser because he drinks like a fish and is declared an addict. NO STOLEN MONEY FOR DRUG ADDICTS. Unless they are in jail. Which is where addicts who commit crimes need to be dumped.

How about pregnant women who may not be able to work?

Pregnancy is a choice. Do not make it without adequate savings and a reliable committed married husband sleeping on the other side of the bed. Single moms who become single moms by having a whoopsie while recreationally providing some loser with a warm place to put it DON'T GET STOLEN MONEY.

Or homeless vets with PTSD?

Case-by-case. Vets deserve special treatment because they offered to make the ultimate sacrifice so that the rest of us might stay free. Giving money back to them is akin to returning a loan.

What about stay at home mothers who don't work (i.e., earn a paycheck) so they can raise the kids, clean the house, and go on coffee klatches?

No stolen money for people who make the wrong choice: kids without savings and planning and focus and committed marriage.

And thanks again. Now not only am I an idiot, but I'm a bad person, too, since I'm getting food stamps from those hardworking taxpayers. Things just keep getting worse and worse, don't they?

Get off your butt and get to work and stop taking money from others. It's unbecoming and shameful unless you are totally incapacitated as described above. If you need help, you ASK. You don't demand or steal. I don't care what your sob story is. Asking is moral. Stealing is not.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-27-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 04:55 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
Nixon considered this idea back in the early 1970's. It was called a negative income tax. It would never work in a country like ours due to the massive numbers of illegal immigrants. Some 15-25 million illegals already here with more flooding into the country each day.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Anybody can earn enough to pay for housing and food. The problem starts when Reason is abandoned and legs spread and penises penetrate and unscheduled kids start ejecting like frosted Pop-Tarts.

But just for clarification, are you saying then that all seniors who no longer work should starve to death?

Seniors were not born 70. They were young and strong once and should have saved for retirement while they could. Getting old is NOT A SURPRISE! Very EASY to save 10% of your income when you are young, all it takes is the smallest little brain and 1/2 ounce of thought about the future. Unless we don't demand it of people.

What about the handicapped and the disabled?

There are very few truly handicapped people. What gets defined as handicapped today can make your toes curl. I will agree to partially subsidize the ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY BLIND, DEAF, DUMB, and PEOPLE WITH NO ARMS OR LEGS. If you can see out of one eye and have one arm, you work. Or ask for charity. Partial handicaps don't qualify. You must be incapacitated beyond any hope to get stolen money. Not the BS we see today with PTSD disability assigned to some loser because he drinks like a fish and is declared an addict. NO STOLEN MONEY FOR DRUG ADDICTS. Unless they are in jail. Which is where addicts who commit crimes need to be dumped.

How about pregnant women who may not be able to work?

Pregnancy is a choice. Do not make it without adequate savings and a reliable committed married husband sleeping on the other side of the bed. Single moms who become single moms by having a whoopsie while recreationally providing some loser with a warm place to put it DON'T GET STOLEN MONEY.

Or homeless vets with PTSD?

Case-by-case. Vets deserve special treatment because they offered to make the ultimate sacrifice so that the rest of us might stay free. Giving money back to them is akin to returning a loan.

What about stay at home mothers who don't work (i.e., earn a paycheck) so they can raise the kids, clean the house, and go on coffee klatches?

No stolen money for people who make the wrong choice: kids without savings and planning and focus and committed marriage.

Get off your butt and get to work and stop taking money from others. It's unbecoming and shameful unless you are totally incapacitated as described above. If you need help, you ASK. You don't demand or steal. I don't care what your sob story is. Asking is moral. Stealing is not.
Kinda what I figured you'd say, but you did clarify, so thank you for that.

A few things you should be aware of:

All birth control has a failure rate.

Any natural disaster can happen to anyone.

Seniors and many disabled people have worked for years paying into the system.

I'm classified as disabled by the State of Washington after working for 35 years. I would love to get a job that would allow me to sit up for an hour, stand a couple of minutes (without walking) and then lay down when I need to to relieve the pain. Until then, I guess I'll have to remain an idiot and a bad person, but unfortunately for you, I have totally unbecoming behavior and I'm through with being ashamed. Sorry about that. But two out of four ain't bad.

You know, instead of shortening your life with so much anger, why don't you do something about what you're so angry about? Why don't you start to petition for euthanasia for all "useless" people according to the code of Marc Paolella? The Republicans would love you and just think to what heights you might rise. Look what Hitler did for the world.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 PM

32 posts, read 23,349 times
90% will blow that 20k in a month or 2 and be right back sucking at the public teat. I think we should give them all the free dope, tobacco and booze they can consume, laced with some poison that takes months to take effect. Such would be no threat to the decent ones.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:40 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
We need to stop this ridiculous bull, and we wouldn't have a problem! It's beyond ridiculousness, and why do we "pay" and give benefits to people who shouldn't even be here, and don't even work, more than a lot of our citizens who do work? It's stupid to automatically hand over what we do simply based on the fact that they are foreigners! So, obviously, foreigners are more important than citizens, in America.

From a Florida ER doctor:
I live and work in a state overrun with Illegal's. They make more
money having kids than we earn working full-time.
Today I had a 25-year old with 8 kids - that's right 8, all Illegal
Anchor Babies and she had the nicest nails, cell phone, hand bag,
clothing, etc. She makes about $800 monthly for each; you do the
math, she says why should I work when when I get a check for $6,400 every month.
I used to say, "We are the dumbest nation on earth," Now I must say and sadly admit: WE are the dumbest people on earth (that includes ME) for we Elected the Idiot Ideologues who have passed the Bills that allow this. Sorry, but we need a Revolution.
If the Illegal Immigrant is over 65, they can apply for SSI and
Medicaid and get more than a woman on Social Security, who worked from 1944 until 2004. She is only getting $791 per month because she was born in 1924 and there's a 'catch 22' (notch) for her. It is interesting that the Federal Government provides a single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.
Each can also obtain an additional $580 in Social Assistance, for a total of $2,470 a month. This compares to a single pensioner, who after contributing to the growth and development of America for 40 to 50 years, can only receive a monthly maximum of $1,012 in Old Age Pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement.
Maybe our Pensioners should apply as Refugees!
Consider sending this to all your American friends, so we can all be ticked off and maybe get the Refugees cut back to $1,012 and the Pensioners up to $2,470. Then we can enjoy some of the money we were forced to submit to the Government over the last 40 or 50 or 60 years.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siryevr View Post
90% will blow that 20k in a month or 2 and be right back sucking at the public teat. I think we should give them all the free dope, tobacco and booze they can consume, laced with some poison that takes months to take effect. Such would be no threat to the decent ones.
It is not a one time payout of 20K. Duh... It would likely be a bi-monthly $1200 payment. No blowing it in a couple of months and being right back on the public teat. Tobacco laced with poison.... tobacco IS a poison that takes months to take effect. How about we leave the poor alone if that's the best we can do for them. It's not like this is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates