Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 12:00 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
I have lived with AA members my entire life. Went to Al Anon as a kid and even young adult, before I recognized how damaging it is to the family unit, the addict and the system.
So, your personal experience. Ok.

Quote:
Was married to an "old timer" for 16 years - he gave his life to the program.
I can see how that might breed some resentment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 12:08 PM

280 posts, read 325,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When an addict is suffering, and has not found something that helps them, I truly feel horrible.

At the end of it, it's literally a "take what you want and leave the rest". I've personally seen some of what I would call "addiction to meetings", but by and large, the successes that I have seen in the "A" programs have nothing to do with replacing one addiction for another.

Guilty of what exactly? Offering a way to sobriety?

As my personal experience is not with AA, this is news to me.

Frankly, I have never looked at the "messengers" when it comes to these programs. If these programs work, for even a small minority of people, what good comes from vilifying the founders?

"Well gee, my life is so much better because of this program, but dang, the founder was a POS." Why is that even an issue?

There is a bigger picture out there for you to consider if you choose. I don't think you do - cognitive dissonance is common among the lifers and supporters of any group like AA (read: cult).

You have asked me to prove why I don't accept it as a viable treatment, and I've provided more than enough information to satisfy your curiosity. I can tell that you want to argue that you are indeed right and no one else is. Excellent that it works for you. Please do not follow the normal steppers and tell a single person that they aren't sober because they didn't do step 6/7/12 properly, or they didn't confess their transgressions properly (according to their "sponsor"), or turn over their life to a higher power. You do not have the ability to assess a disorder in ANY human - unless you share your credentials you have no business telling anyone how to recover from addiction.

Experience as an addict is not a profession.

Last edited by tcmtcm; 12-16-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I can tell that you want to argue that you are indeed right and no one else is.
You can tell that from what I've said here?

I've been speaking of my own experience. Of course I'm right. It's MY experience.

That others cannot understand that people are, in fact, helped by 12 step programs is their issue, not mine. I am only stating what I have seen and experienced-- and yes, responding to gross overstatements and generalizations regarding "the programs".

Quote:
Excellent that it works for you.
Thank you.

Quote:
Please do not follow the normal steppers and tell a single person that they aren't sober because they didn't do step 6/7/12 properly, or they didn't confess their transgressions properly (according to their "sponsor"), or turn over their life to a higher power. You do not have the ability to assess that in ANY human - unless you share your credentials you have no business telling anyone how to recover from addiction.
Certainly, I can tell others what has worked for me? Or, is that not allowed either?

Quote:
Experience as an addict is not a profession.
While that's a truly quaint saying, how is it applicable in this scenario?

Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
There is a bigger picture out there for you to consider if you choose. I don't think you do - cognitive dissonance is common among the lifers and supporters of any group like AA (read: cult).
So now the "A" programs are cults?

Ok then.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
So now the "A" programs are cults?

Ok then.
Yes. There is plenty of information regarding the rising opposition by people are concerned about the lack of advancement in addiction treatment. The focus on what has gone wrong with our most accepted treatment in this country has revealed a lot about the organization. As with any religious group, people get very upset about being questioned or challenged. The anonymity is a protective factor - again, you can google any of these topics.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You can tell that from what I've said here?

I've been speaking of my own experience. Of course I'm right. It's MY experience.

That others cannot understand that people are, in fact, helped by 12 step programs is their issue, not mine. I am only stating what I have seen and experienced-- and yes, responding to gross overstatements and generalizations regarding "the programs".

Thank you.

Certainly, I can tell others what has worked for me? Or, is that not allowed either?

While that's a truly quaint saying, how is it applicable in this scenario?

I recommend googling.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 24,903 times
Quote:
Yup, you need to want recovery. There's no magic pill, no "easy way".

IMO, 12-step (or any other recovery program) is precisely what the person involved makes it, whether they are "hard-core" or not.

No doubt that every single path to recovery has a high failure rate. If they didn't, then there would be far fewer addicts, I would say.

What exactly makes your experience "the truth" and mine pure opinion and hearsay?
Well, let's see... 19 rehabs for the last decade, usually 90 days at a shot, and an MD/PhD... anything else you want to know?

I have every day, each day to research this. At a rather famous place in Boston. But enough information from me. What exactly is YOUR experience about the "truth"?

Fortunately, I am only in the states a few months a year. Where we live has a different problem (opiates) which makes me throw up, so that is not a problem for me.

Please state your credentials... the world wants to know.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorax71 View Post

Please state your credentials... the world wants to know.
My credential is that I have lived it as well, and have found something that has worked for me and for many people that I have had the privilege to come to know through my own journey.

Care to know more?

Old 12-16-2015, 01:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Why wait until the damage is done. The drugs come in through our borders, if we would do something about that at least some drug addition may be stopped before it even starts. It could save many lives in the future.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:18 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why wait until the damage is done. The drugs come in through our borders, if we would do something about that at least some drug addition may be stopped before it even starts. It could save many lives in the future.
More addicts are made by pill mills and over prescription of legal opiates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates