Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:37 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times

Advertisements

I had someone close to me die from an overdose. Of course I was sad and mourning, but relief was a feeling that surprised me, I felt incredibly light and relieved of a life-long duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:47 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I had someone close to me die from an overdose. Of course I was sad and mourning, but relief was a feeling that surprised me, I felt incredibly light and relieved of a life-long duty.
How thoughtful of them to let you off the hook like that.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I feel sad for their wasted lives, sad for their families and friends, who are suffering with grief, helplessness, guilt and regret.

I feel angry at the stigma we as a society place on mental illness and its treatment. I am angry at the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality that so many people seem to have about addiction and mental health.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:42 AM

53 posts, read 48,340 times
One of my best friends was a severe alcoholic and eventually became a drug addict. He killed himself on 1-1-2002. I knew him since we were kids so of course I was sad about it. Wished I'd realized what terrible shape he was in and what he had planned to do. Thought for a long time that maybe there was something I could have done to stop him. Pretty sure now that there wasn't.

For all the rest that go due to drugs, I don't know them so I really don't give them much thought.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
How thoughtful of them to let you off the hook like that.

Why would you fault someone for being honest? Unless you have been on the caregiving end or a very close relative to someone who has caused never-ending worry (due to addiction, very bad health, poor life choices, or whatever), I don't think you should judge others for feeling relieved when that constant worry and/or caregiving ends -- even if that end was due to death.

If you HAVE been through it, though, Bonnie Jean, and you still maintained your compassion and you felt great sorrow when that person died, no matter how much pain he or she caused you, then you DO have my sincere admiration.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-05-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 6,092 times
A life lost still. That's saddening.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:27 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,947 times
I grew up with an alcoholic father who died when I was 9from cirrhosis. I didn't know him so I didn't care. My mom then married another alcoholic except he was a functioning alcoholic where my dad was not. I married an alcoholic and we began our journey of the pain when he didn't come home and then when he did because it was like walking on egg shells. Oh I was a total enabler, I raised my kids to participate in the same sick behavior. When husband would come home the kids and I would look at each other and we had a head nod thing going whether we thought he had been drinking. The sickness was real. Eventually I woke up when my then 18 year old son said to me are you going to raise the baby the same way to tolerate dad's drinking. (we had a surprise baby at that point) I changed from that day on and eventually moved out and he got help. We had been down that road of him getting help many times but I had never moved out. We were separated for a year and worked on our own issues today we have been married for just over 30 years. But addiction wasn't done with my family my sister over dosed in 2012 on hydrocodone. I tried for so many years to help her. Unless people want help you can not make them get it. Losing my sister was and is devastating I miss her every day. I truly believe that once she died the cancer in my mom's body started growing rapidly because of her grief to losing her daughter.
So when I hear of people who have died from addiction I am sad for the life lost that could have been so much more if addiction hadn't reared its ugly head and I feel sad for the families whose lives will forever be changed. It makes me sick that so many who suffer from addiction can't or won't get help and even if they do get help more times than not they return to what was comfortable.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
... Being from Tennessee, addiction is basically the expectation,
This is what seems to me the big change with time. When I was high-school age there were no marijuana users, and pill use was unknown. Only sick and old persons took lots of pills. If one were to think about a marijuana user, they would imagine a fiend, much like a bogyman or a vampire, well perhaps.

The point ois how can anyone not regard the time I was young highly? I know there were other issues, which are better today, but the drug issue has so much changed, I still have trouble imagining it.

I am so sorry for your friend, and I think being expected to ingest drugs is a pity.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
This is what seems to me the big change with time. When I was high-school age there were no marijuana users, and pill use was unknown. Only sick and old persons took lots of pills. If one were to think about a marijuana user, they would imagine a fiend, much like a bogyman or a vampire, well perhaps.

The point ois how can anyone not regard the time I was young highly? I know there were other issues, which are better today, but the drug issue has so much changed, I still have trouble imagining it.

I am so sorry for your friend, and I think being expected to ingest drugs is a pity.
When did you come of age? I grew up in the 70's, graduated 1980, and everyone smoked pot then as well as anything else we could get our hands on. You'd go to concerts then and people would be handing out pills and joints, they'd be passed along down the aisles.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:59 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
When did you come of age? I grew up in the 70's, graduated 1980, and everyone smoked pot then as well as anything else we could get our hands on. You'd go to concerts then and people would be handing out pills and joints, they'd be passed along down the aisles.

Which is quite interesting because no one I know during those times OD'd on anything. It was a right of passage then you grow up and go on with life. Now, everyone is a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates