Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:44 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,410 times

Advertisements

guess it depends who it is. I have a brother that has a severe alcohol problem and has for years. I'd feel pretty bad if he died from it, but that's pretty much expected now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 AM

309 posts, read 515,650 times
Good riddance.

It's those who do drug (illegal or otherwise, including the "prescription" to alter minds) and function as robots in the society cause much grief for everyone else around them - coworkers, family, friends, and strangers.

So many are on drug, those few who don't do any are practically the odd ones out.

Sad.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:52 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
I can't say it has ever happened to me. I've dealt with plenty of deaths, but they have all been freak accidents, old age, or some illness (cancer) as well as a suicide of a classmate not so long ago.

The thing about drug abuse is, to me, it's a purposeful disregard to your health. I'd have trouble feeling anything but anger at someone who died from a drug addiction. It's all well and good to say that there could have been something done or they only turned to it out of personal strife. I don't have pity for those views. It's a conscious effort, going out of your way and spending sums of money, to directly harm yourself with full knowledge it is doing so.
Unfortunately some were losers to begin with but many had decent jobs,nice people who cared about others. Had one by marriage who after many years since passing I still miss. Kind and generous.Even at one time in his life used to do interventions himself. Slowly he got into minor drug usage and after awhile he himself became an addict,ruined his marriage,lost his small company,was in prison,released,into rehab, just to end up back in prison. He was heavy into heroine and died alone from an overdose. Was it accidental? Maybe purposely? No one will ever know. In various cases yes I do feel sorry for the people and the families. Talented people. I guess it's easier to feel sad for a nice person who lost their way and maybe not feel the least bit sorry for those who just were sorry people who had no aim or goals for there lives. Have known those kinds of people also and they seemed to always be looking for a good time and in the end they lived in a personal nightmare until death. Doesn't say much to the rest of the world that our nation with the many advantages,jobs,opportunities for wealth,nice places to live and cars to drive will resort to these ways. Yes,freedom to do what you please but not sure the choice to die was one of them. Sad commentary about a once great nation.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,589 times
My husband now deceased battled cancer twice and had radiation for the first cancer, then years later it returned in a different form brought on by the radiation from the first cancer treatment. Now he battled the leukemia. He was prescribed numerous pain drugs yet he wouldn't take them as called for. He said if he didn't need them what's the point in popping them in. He lost his battle with the disease but never suffered through an addiction. I have always remembered and admired and loved him for his way of looking at things.When he passed away I had to discard bottles of meds he had never used.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:34 AM

6,385 posts, read 6,272,804 times
I feel just as bad as if it was a suicide which is extremely sad.

The disease of addiction, yes it is a disease, is usually a slow suicide by design, subconsciously or just by inevitably.

Addicts only have so much control over their disease. The same as those w tricotilamania can "control" their hair pulling, a cutter can just "choose not to cut" or those w OCD can "just chose not to" keep washing their hands, counting, thinking obsessively, etc.

Can you imagine something, anything, like a thought or a feeling having so much hold over you that it literally kills you? I've suffered depression so I can imagine it in that way but I've never had an addiction thankfully.

A lot of misinformation and hate on this thread. Would this be the answer if an abused wife went back to her husband then he shot and killed her? I mean, that would obviously be a poor decision to go back to him (the drug) but most people would have sympathy for that woman even though she probably knew it was a risk.

And btw- many addicts THINK they are immune to the health effects. There is a lot of cognitive distortion in the disease.

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 12-12-2015 at 04:44 AM..

Old 12-12-2015, 06:02 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
The addict that dies has finally escaped whatever they were trying to escape on earth. I feel sorry for the families that have addicts especially the children but in the end, it is blessing to the family that suffered more than the addict who numbed themselves to the world. Addiction is selfish. It isn't like people don't know what will happen when they start abusing illegal or legal drugs. You pay the price for the choices that you make.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:14 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,726 times
As un PC as it sounds "they made their bed now they are laying in it" Crass I know but I really do not believe as some would say that it is a disease.... At some point in their life THEY chose to start using drugs, THEY chose not to quit (just like overeating, drinking & smoking)
Sorry, but you need ALL of your brain cells to get by in this world & they chose not to....

Old 12-12-2015, 07:27 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
As un PC as it sounds "they made their bed now they are laying in it" Crass I know but I really do not believe as some would say that it is a disease.... At some point in their life THEY chose to start using drugs, THEY chose not to quit (just like overeating, drinking & smoking)
Sorry, but you need ALL of your brain cells to get by in this world & they chose not to....
Agree. The concept of free will and personal responsibility is in short supply these days.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:33 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,477 times
This is yet another illustration (as if any more were needed) of the destruction caused by addiction. Why does anyone start using addictive substances in the first place? It's as simple as poor impulse control. Then it spirals forever downward.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:34 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I look at death from addiction the same way I look at suicide. The person just couldn't handle normal life so they sought an escape. Some take their lives quickly (hang themselves, blows their brains out ect...) and others decide to do it slowly trying to "feel good".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates