Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:42 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,612,934 times

Advertisements

Given that adultery includes sex for any two people who are not married to each other...

Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM

194 posts, read 246,754 times
Awesome. They need to be punished hard, because some cheaters never learn.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM

194 posts, read 246,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Given that adultery includes sex for any two people who are not married to each other...
I think you're thinking of "fornication", sex before marriage. Adultery is just cheating.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:37 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,254,148 times
Several different issues being tossed around. I interpreted the Debate to be whether to make adultery criminally illegal. I.e., if you obtain proof your spouse is cheating you can call the cops and have him/her arrested.

Looking at marriage as a matter of civil law (a contract between two consenting adults), adultery is already a breach of contract in all US states with real fiscal repercussions for being caught (immediate grounds for divorce, alimony, property distribution implications, etc.). But in no case should a breach of contract ever be considered a crime.

Looking at marriage as a matter of religion, adultery cannot be considered a crime unless and until the government starts enforcing religious law. If you want to live in a country like that then be my guest; there are quite a few countries in the Middle East that enforce religious law codes that are all but identical to Mosaic Law (Old Testament of the Bible).

Adultery is not and should not ever be a crime. It's a breach of contract, breach of trust, and generally immoral, but not a crime.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:50 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,023,798 times
Since adultery is defined as a married person having sex with someone other than their spouse, I'd have a very difficult time agreeing that it should be criminalized. Since many married couples have open or polyamorous relationships by mutual agreement, where would the line be drawn? IMO, this is just one of many spaces that the government doesn't need to be poking its nose into.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,305,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
How would you feel if Adultery were illegal? Like say Adultery came with a year or so of punishment, perhaps even more if it can be shown there were children it had a very negative impact on, would you think there would be less people committing Adultery if they knew they could go to prison for a time and have a record?

With so much Adultery going on and all the negative consequences it has, especially for children it does make me wonder if it should be a punishable crime.
How would I feel????
I'd be very pissed off. The whole idea is insane.
Nothing, not even the threat of punishment would change a scoundrel from being who he is.
Should their be a punishment for those who make a poor choice in partners and pick someone who would cheat on them???
Why not????
Maybe THEY should be punished instead for their poor choice of a dad or a mom for their children.
Maybe if people would be a little more discerning in their choice for a mate they wouldn't have to suffer the consequences later.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,816,297 times
It wouldn't matter to me if adultery was illegal or not. I gave my husband my word thirty years ago that I would remain obedient only to his touch. So I have and so I shall. That kind of trust holds more responsibility then any law, and it's an honor to be trusted like that. To lose that bond that comes with that trust is far worse then breaking any law.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:44 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It wouldn't matter to me if adultery was illegal or not. I gave my husband my word thirty years ago that I would remain obedient only to his touch. So I have and so I shall. That kind of trust holds more responsibility then any law, and it's an honor to be trusted like that. To lose that bond that comes with that trust is far worse then breaking any law.

It may not seem like it at times, but there's more people who think like you do than we might think. And thank goodness for that. Commitment is the thread in the fabric of society.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
I think you're thinking of "fornication", sex before marriage. Adultery is just cheating.

She's thinking of the Biblical definition, per Jesus.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:57 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,304,644 times
If adultery was illegal, so many people would be in prison that the economy would collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates