Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't think Marriage should have anything to do with government. If one want's to draft a contract then it is s civil matter not a criminal one. People cheat because of all kinds of reasons if your spouse cheats move on and find another get over it. I have been on both sides of that coin and I can tell you if a spouse is cheating the marriage was long over anyway.
I agree with some of the stuff you are saying. In my life experience, it just seems that there are men and women that just cheat. Those types of people know who and what they are. People that want a true marriage, should avoid cheaters like the plague. Trouble is, when we have those darn rose colored glasses on and are so in love, we don't always see the true person we are gaga over.

It's one of those moral issues. Do we want to marry and be true to our love; if not move on. In my case, someone told me that if I still loved the guy work it out, yeah right...........don't think some people can change their stripes. 10 years later, I finally left, a little disheartened; but also a little smarter. One of those shoulda, coulda deals..................

Old 12-27-2015, 06:54 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
Default Not sure, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You post raises more questions than it answers, Among them, why was the charge fornication, rather than adultery? I'm not expecting you to know the answer, but... ...
apparently the "fornication" occurred on the lawn and out in public, for some reason.
I actually met the guy as well over the years; had no idea landladies could be that hilarious.
The two (both hapless defendants) are life long friends.
I couldn't make this up!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:39 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
How would you feel if Adultery were illegal? Like say Adultery came with a year or so of punishment, perhaps even more if it can be shown there were children it had a very negative impact on, would you think there would be less people committing Adultery if they knew they could go to prison for a time and have a record?

With so much Adultery going on and all the negative consequences it has, especially for children it does make me wonder if it should be a punishable crime.

A bigger crime should be when people stay in relationships that are unhappy. That's fraud.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:32 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
I think it would be great so long as sexual refusal of any kind were also illegal. Alot of cheating is done because of a withholding of affection and the financial consequences are too great to just divorce.

But if the party contributing the majority of the problems in the relationship were held legally accountable in the divorce it would be a game changer.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 AM

16 posts, read 17,833 times
There's a lot of behaviour within a marriage that can have a negative impact on children, so if that's the basis for making adultery illegal then you should first do a full analysis of that.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
A bigger crime should be when people stay in relationships that are unhappy. That's fraud.
Very perceptive observation. Adultery often results when people force themselves to stay in a flawed relationship, either out of guilt or fear or other reasons. Happens all the time - after all we have a 50% divorce rate.

As far as whether it should be illegal, of course not. There are surely civil liabilities, for example if the extramarital affair brings STDs or if a female becomes pregnant with a child outside the marriage. Or if the adulterous affair damages the finances of the married couple in some way.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Very perceptive observation. Adultery often results when people force themselves to stay in a flawed relationship, either out of guilt or fear or other reasons. Happens all the time - after all we have a 50% divorce rate.

As far as whether it should be illegal, of course not. There are surely civil liabilities, for example if the extramarital affair brings STDs or if a female becomes pregnant with a child outside the marriage. Or if the adulterous affair damages the finances of the married couple in some way.
TY. I'm sure the courts could figure out a way to prosecute sham marriages but, they won't do it because they have to promote family values.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
I would feel that it's even stupider than Prohibition making alcohol illegal.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,569 times
If adultery was illegal, then 9/10 people would never get married.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
If adultery was illegal, then 9/10 people would never get married.
Where adultery is a crime people marry at a greater rate and younger age then where it is not a crime or enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.