Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

I think the point charlygal (along with other Christian conservatives) was trying to make, was that the act of male on male or female on female is homosexual. That is a very simplistic view to it when the issue is far more complex. When you deal with age, in particularly before puberty (which most pedophiles actually do) it isn't exactly about the sex of their victim. This is widely known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
At the risk of becoming an "old curmudgeon" I have tried to be completely open minded on this whole topic of trans-everything. It really doesn't matter to me what others do. However, it does bother me a bit when a 10 YEAR OLD decides that he's really a girl inside so now 25 girls in a locker room have to have him skulking around watching them shower because he "identifies" as a girl. The rights of the MANY are cast aside in order to accomodate the feelings of the ONE. I'm not sure how to solve that, but it doesn't seem right to me somehow.

I do, however, wish I would have thought of this when I was in high school.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
At the risk of becoming an "old curmudgeon" I have tried to be completely open minded on this whole topic of trans-everything. It really doesn't matter to me what others do. However, it does bother me a bit when a 10 YEAR OLD decides that he's really a girl inside so now 25 girls in a locker room have to have him skulking around watching them shower because he "identifies" as a girl. The rights of the MANY are cast aside in order to accomodate the feelings of the ONE. I'm not sure how to solve that, but it doesn't seem right to me somehow.

I went through three years of middle school, four years of high school and never once did I take a shower nor was I encouraged to do so after gym. Changing before/after gym, sure but not showers. Then again, I didn't play sports...

Old 12-15-2015, 04:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
All of this stuff going on is just one more nail in the coffin of society. First, the family unit began to break down, and kids were forced to transit between Dad's home and Mom's home on alternating weekends. Then they had to learn to accept that Mom has some new guy sleeping in her bed and does Dad has some new GF in his . Then, if that wasn't confusing enough, we are allowing families to have two Dads or two Moms as the parents of young children. Even worse, there are lots of homes with multiple "Baby Daddies" !

I thank God every day that I grew up in a family where Dad worked hard to support us, where Mom was there with cookies when I got home from school, and where the two sexes had distinct roles and purposes in life. Made things so much less confusing.

I am not a super religious person (but I believe in God) but I see all this nonsense going on and can't help but feel it is the beginning of the end for civilization.

Don

Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
The issue for me isn't the "live and let live" thing. I'm all for that and I think most people nowadays are too. The problem is that the expectations have gone well beyond live and let live. We are now expected to "accept" these very abnormal situations as completely normal when, statistically, they are anything but. Also, it seems like the current expectation is for us normal people to celebrate their oddities.

I refuse to accept that a dude that thinks he is really a woman is normal or something that should be celebrated. I accept that you can live your life how you want, but I am not going to celebrate your abnormality.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:42 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
^^^^^ This post really sums it up for me too. I realize there are people in this world who live a different lifestyle from the "norm", but just don't ask me to be overjoyed and over accepting of it. Seems like most of us are asked to change our beliefs and ways of thinking just because of the views of a few.

Don

Old 12-15-2015, 08:14 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

I refuse to accept that a dude that thinks he is really a woman is normal or something that should be celebrated. I accept that you can live your life how you want, but I am not going to celebrate your abnormality.
But, certainly, you can't describe ^^^ as a "live and let live" mentality, can you?

The use of the words "normal" and "abnormality" say to me that you do not accept that people can be different from whatever large percentage of the population that identifies as heterosexual and within the gender that they were physically born in.

How do you define "normal" in this context?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,910,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny
Transgender is when a person's brain chemistry is a different gender than the sex of their physical body. It's a proven disorder; a mix up of x/y chromosomes I believe. They just want to live their lives as normally as possible, like being able to use a proper public bathroom without being discriminated against or not worry about getting fired just because of who they are and possibly have their medical needs (surgeries, psychiatric care) covered by insurance.
Couldn't the same argument (brain chemistry) be made for gays, child molesters, kinky people?

Who should decide what is, or is not acceptable in our society? Religious leaders? Which ones? Which religions? Political leaders? Which ones? I don't know the answer but if it's between consenting adults and there are no victims, I don't really care

Last edited by Jeo123; 12-15-2015 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Fixed Tag

Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post

Ten year olds don't shower at school. Changing for gym starts in middle school (around 12). Showering might occur in high school, but I don't know of any that did when I was in school.

A ten year old also is just discovering or realizing this issue about themselves. A ten year old hasn't undergone any hormone therapy or counseling even. The most a ten year old has done is wear chosen clothing and hairstyles. From the few examples I have heard of, transkids this age ask to use a separate bathroom, which I believe is reasonable.

If you think it's as simple as saying "I'm a girl" and wearing a dress, you are dead wrong. You would have to be living the lifestyle for a long period of time and fight your way into that bathroom by proving that you belong in there despite your genitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Couldn't the same argument (brain chemistry) be made for gays, child molesters, kinky people?

Who should decide what is, or is not acceptable in our society? Religious leaders? Which ones? Which religions? Political leaders? Which ones? I don't know the answer but if it's between consenting adults and there are no victims, I don't really care
Gay people's brain structure is different than a straight person's. So yes, it's predetermined at birth.

No you can not equate it to a child molester. Child molesters are predators, they hurt and cause harm to other people. Gay and trans people don't hurt anyone. Transitioning has no affect on anyone, but the person transitioning. Gay people's relationship's only affect the two people in the relationship, just like straight people. As long as kinky people are only kinky with willing partners, who cares?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:36 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All of this stuff going on is just one more nail in the coffin of society. First, the family unit began to break down, and kids were forced to transit between Dad's home and Mom's home on alternating weekends. Then they had to learn to accept that Mom has some new guy sleeping in her bed and does Dad has some new GF in his . Then, if that wasn't confusing enough, we are allowing families to have two Dads or two Moms as the parents of young children. Even worse, there are lots of homes with multiple "Baby Daddies" !

I thank God every day that I grew up in a family where Dad worked hard to support us, where Mom was there with cookies when I got home from school, and where the two sexes had distinct roles and purposes in life. Made things so much less confusing.

I am not a super religious person (but I believe in God) but I see all this nonsense going on and can't help but feel it is the beginning of the end for civilization.

Don
People like this have always been around; Michaelangelo was suspected to be gay. They were just shunned by society and forced to live their lives in secret. No one deserves to live their life in secret because of how they are born, something they have no control over.

Divorce is a good thing. Do we want it to happen, of course not, but staying in a toxic relationship "for the kids" can be very damaging to children. It teaches them that fighting, hating each other, maybe even physical violence is normal behavior for couples, then they repeat that cycle. Showing them, that hey we didn't get along so we were mature enough to separate, coparent and find partners better suited for us is a way to find happiness and what a healthy relationship looks like.

Studies show that having same sex parents has zero affect on children. They grow up just as normal as kids from heterosexual parents. In fact there are many studies that show gay couples are better parents, because they truly want their kids and have to go to great lengths to get them, unlike heterosexual couples where as many as 50% of pregnancies are unintended.

You are also implying that gay, trans people, and their supporters do not believe in God, which is completely false. All the gay people I know believe in God. Jesus says we must accept everyone no matter who they are. He spent much of his time with the degenerates of society (prostitutes, the poor) and there is evidence that the "eunuchs" he speaks of are gay people. Christians also say that God made us in His image and that he doesn't make mistakes; these things happen in the womb, which means God intended them, so we need to be accepting of them and not judgmental, because only He can judge us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates