Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:05 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,775,764 times

Advertisements

I rarely vote in a presidential election because there is never anyone that I like running. Take the last election: You can't blame me for not voting if I don't like either candidate. What was the choice--a war monger or Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
No, you should not feel guilty for not voting.

Voting is showing support for someone, so if you do not support anyone, why should you vote? Places that have mandated voting, like Australia, is a joke. All you are getting are people who are voting for reasons other than reasons that need to matter, goofy stuff like astrology signs, who is better looking, who put on the best talking points, coin flip, whatever name is first, etc. A huge mass of people who really do not care or support, but are made to vote.

A lack of voting to me shows something, but too bad no one really gets it. Politicians would be all giddy even if they won with 1% of voters voting, ignoring that 99% just did not like anyone enough to show up, let alone the winner.

If voting is made mandatory, there should be a "none of the above" and the total for this vote should not exceed something like 70% for the vote to be counted.

So basically no, you should not feel guilty, you should vote only for someone you support. An act of not voting (for a reason besides laziness) is the same as voting.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
"You can't blame me for not voting if I don't like either candidate."

Sorry, but yes, I can blame you. There are always third party candidates. You could write in "None Of The Above" (NOTA)

Think about this: A lot of people (both military and civilian) died to guarantee that you have the right to vote. IMO, by refusing to exercise that right, you are urinating on the graves of all those Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and civil rights demonstrators! Should not voting make you feel guilty? I don't know, because I do not know you. You will have to examine your own conscience and make up your own mind.
Personally, I took an Oath in 1958. I renewed that Oath many times over the years until I retired. I did and do take that Oath seriously. I consider voting to be part of that Oath. Even if I have to vote for "the lesser of two evils", or a candidate who I know has no chance, I will fulfill my responsibility to participate in the Constitutional Republic to which I swore my Oath all those times over the years. I can do no less!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,404,338 times
A few years back in another state, I did not like either of the candidates for governor. I did not vote for either, but did complete the rest of the ballot. After she won I still did not like the winner, and hope she never goes back into government.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,010,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"You can't blame me for not voting if I don't like either candidate."

Sorry, but yes, I can blame you. There are always third party candidates. You could write in "None Of The Above" (NOTA)

Think about this: A lot of people (both military and civilian) died to guarantee that you have the right to vote. IMO, by refusing to exercise that right, you are urinating on the graves of all those Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and civil rights demonstrators! Should not voting make you feel guilty? I don't know, because I do not know you. You will have to examine your own conscience and make up your own mind.
Personally, I took an Oath in 1958. I renewed that Oath many times over the years until I retired. I did and do take that Oath seriously. I consider voting to be part of that Oath. Even if I have to vote for "the lesser of two evils", or a candidate who I know has no chance, I will fulfill my responsibility to participate in the Constitutional Republic to which I swore my Oath all those times over the years. I can do no less!
IMO not enough people know you can do this. I think most people think you have to vote for either the Democratic or Republican candidate, and that's it. They have a sadly uninformed, simplistic view on voting. With write-ins, you can say that you voted, but didn't vote for the winning candidate or the other guy, so you weren't responsible for whoever got elected (because let's be honest - write-ins are unlikey to win). But you wouldn't feel guilty.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,617,719 times
I have often voted for Mickey Mouse, though I later learned that it makes life difficult for vote counters. Now I try and give a 3rd party candidate a nudge or I leave the item blank.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
Sometimes a vote isn't for someone, it's against someone else. You can vote for the person you dislike the least, or a third party candidate.

However, I have no problem with someone abstaining. It means my vote counts for more. ;-)

Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
Everyone should vote. It's democratic. Have you ever heard of strategic voting. In this theory for example: Let's say Trump is the very last person you want in power but he is ahead in all of the polls. What you do is select a candidate that has a strong chance to beat Trump even if they are not running in your political party. when choosing the other candidate remember you are only voting to stop Trump from taking over.
To me Hilary is a safe choice. She is a confident experienced diplomat and a statesman.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:38 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
quote=artillery77;42954417]I have often voted for Mickey Mouse, ......
You can't vote for some one who is not on the ballot. No wonder your vote goes File 13! LMAO

Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,002,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I have often voted for Mickey Mouse, though I later learned that it makes life difficult for vote counters. Now I try and give a 3rd party candidate a nudge or I leave the item blank.
In a local election a couple of months ago, I didn't know any of the candidates in a couple of races, so I wrote my own name in. In those races, I know I got at least one vote.

When in doubt--vote for yourself!

_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates