Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,837,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Like I said, there will always be people in denial. You will believe what you believe without regard to the facts.

What denial are you referring to based upon my post? You gave an anecdotal example of how you have gotten the flu shot every year for 30 years and despite exposure, you didn't catch the flu. I gave an anecdotal example of how I haven't gotten the flu shot in 30 years and in spite of close exposure, didn't get it. You also mentioned how you don't worry about the flu and I told you that I don't either. Not sure what your point is or what you think I'm in denial about.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,771,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Whooping cough will continue to rise in our country due to mutations which will continue to decrease the current vaccines effectiveness. Or they will just give boosters to every man, woman and child on a semi regular basis since it's become clear that the vaccine does not protect people for very long. That mandate will extend to all adults. What will we coerce them with? No vaccine, no driver's license? No vaccine, no employment?
All adults who have contact with children should be vaccinated for pertussis. Hopefully they will be responsible people who decline to threaten children.

Quote:
Silly argument. Vaccine mandates interfere with the right to an education. If you get your way and we come to the point where vaccines are required to travel then it will also interfere with freedom of movement
Some countries do require vaccination for entry, and the US sometimes quarantines unvaccinated people from disease areas. If you think that interferes with with freedom, try to take an unvaccinated dog across a national border sometime. Your freedom expires when you become a danger to others. If your child is a danger to others, they face expulsion from organized child activities like school and sports.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:07 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,837,518 times
Quote:
All adults who have contact with children should be vaccinated for pertussis. Hopefully they will be responsible people who decline to threaten children.
That is called cocooning, when the family of the newborn makes sure everyone who is in close contact with the newborn is vaccinated for pertussis and it makes much more sense then denying entry to kindergarten students who haven't had the vaccine or threatening to sue people. It's also a voluntary measure families can take to protect their babies. It doesn't change the fact that the pertussis vaccine has issues with mutations which interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine as well as only providing short term protection.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Suzy, dear, the majority of the country does not believe "health professionals" when they tell them to get a flu shot. You can include in this pregnant women when their "health professionals" tell them they need flu or tdap shots. Look up and POST the CDC's stats for both of those. It is less than half.

The majority of adults do not hear that they "need" Flu, Tdap, Pneumonia, Shingles shots? Turn on the TV. Go to a SUPERMARKET and you see signs all over.They are IGNORING it, just as they are ignoring all those other endless medication commercials. Oh, but if their "medical professional" (if they see one) tells me to get it, they will? "Doctor SAYS!!!!!". Sure. Inflated egos there?
The lowest flu vaccination rates are in the South, where people often have no access to medical care. The highest rate of adult vaccination is in Massachusetts, where 57.5% of adults were vaccinated. The low was Florida, where only 34.1% were vaccinated. Nationwide, over 50% of children under the age of 18 were vaccinated. Insurance companies cover 100% of the cost of flu vaccines. They don't do that out of the goodness of their hearts, it saves them money in hospital bills and ER visits. Thanks to the high vaccination rate, less than 200 children a year die from influenza.

What people believe has nothing to do with reality. One American in four believes the sun goes around the earth. There are a huge number of terminally stupid people out there. It doesn't matter what they believe.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, so that is why I had only 7 and 7.8 lb. daughters? Because I wasn't vaccinated during pregnancy 30+ years ago? It had nothing to do with the fact that I was 5'1", 98 lbs, my Dad was 5'8 , 140 lbs, and my Grandma was 4'8", 85 lbs.? Wow, if going back generations if those vaccines were around we would all be BIG people? Actually, I kinda like be petite and thin.

My daughter joined the Guard a few years ago and was given those vaccinations before Boot Camp. She lasted less than week before she was in the Infirmary with severe vomiting, diarrhea, and was put on an IV. They could not find anything wrong with her, but suspected an allergy. She was sent her home to go get tested by an Allergist. It was discovered that she has a (rare) beef allergy. You do know that these vaccines contain bovine serum, cultures? She was medically discharged for this allergy, which she did not want.

We know about people with egg allergies taking flu shots. They have tried to eliminate those. So what about someone with a BEEF Allergy? Which vaccines contain THOSE? Search the ingredients? BUT they are only TRACE amounts? My daughter reads ingredient labels on food. If she eats some containing trace amounts of beef anything, she is on the floor in pain, or in the bathroom.

What do you do about that? Health Professionals tell me there are no bovine products in vaccines.
How does birth weight have anything to do with what I said? However, your daughter's immune system problems might very well have been caused by your prenatal negligence. Did she at least get colostrum within a few hours of birth?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM

10,287 posts, read 6,381,605 times
Quote:
The lowest flu vaccination rates are in the South, where people often have no access to medical care. The highest rate of adult vaccination is in Massachusetts, where 57.5% of adults were vaccinated. The low was Florida, where only 34.1% were vaccinated. Nationwide, over 50% of children under the age of 18 were vaccinated. Insurance companies cover 100% of the cost of flu vaccines. They don't do that out of the goodness of their hearts, it saves them money in hospital bills and ER visits. Thanks to the high vaccination rate, less than 200 children a year die from influenza.

What people believe has nothing to do with reality. One American in four believes the sun goes around the earth. There are a huge number of terminally stupid people out there. It doesn't matter what they believe.
It's SUMMER don't ya know year round in Florida. Don't ya think it's kinda ironic that Florida has the lowest flu vaccinations, yet the highest number of "vulnerable" elderly? Where I live in Florida the median age is 62. As of April 11th, slightly less than 50% of Medicare Beneficiaries in Florida had received their flu shots. I guess even the elderly are not taking their FREE Medicare Flu Shots. Must be a lot of stupid elderly people in Florida who will DIE without their or the rest of herd's flu shots!

You've been getting Flu Shots for only 30 years? You didn't get your's in 1976 during that Swine Flu Epidemic? I guess you didn't see President Ford rolling up his sleeve on TV? I worked for the Corporate Offices of a Big Pharm back then. They were not telling their own EMPLOYEES to that the Flu Shot. What was WRONG with them????? CRICKETS at work about Flu Shots. Dr. Jenny or Dr. Wakefield in 1976? No, it was my EMPLOYER who started me THINKING.

I live in Naples where there are entire malls with nothing BUT some kind of medical facilities. It ain't "rural" or lack of medicare care. That isn't a reason for low flu shot rates. Try again.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
What denial are you referring to based upon my post? You gave an anecdotal example of how you have gotten the flu shot every year for 30 years and despite exposure, you didn't catch the flu. I gave an anecdotal example of how I haven't gotten the flu shot in 30 years and in spite of close exposure, didn't get it. You also mentioned how you don't worry about the flu and I told you that I don't either. Not sure what your point is or what you think I'm in denial about.
The example I gave was of an office mate who refused the vaccine and came down with the flu. He denied it was the flu, though it obviously was. You are the same. You claim you have not had the flu in 30 years, despite never being immunized. That is only likely if you live in a mountain cave with no human contact. Every year between 5% and 20% of the population comes down with flu, and the majority of those cases are among unvaccinated people. You have less than one half of one percent chance of not having had the flu in 30 years, you just choose to deny it.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It's SUMMER don't ya know year round in Florida. Don't ya think it's kinda ironic that Florida has the lowest flu vaccinations, yet the highest number of "vulnerable" elderly? Where I live in Florida the median age is 62. As of April 11th, slightly less than 50% of Medicare Beneficiaries in Florida had received their flu shots. I guess even the elderly are not taking their FREE Medicare Flu Shots. Must be a lot of stupid elderly people in Florida who will DIE without their or the rest of herd's flu shots!

You've been getting Flu Shots for only 30 years? You didn't get your's in 1976 during that Swine Flu Epidemic? I guess you didn't see President Ford rolling up his sleeve on TV? I worked for the Corporate Offices of a Big Pharm back then. They were not telling their own EMPLOYEES to that the Flu Shot. What was WRONG with them????? CRICKETS at work about Flu Shots. Dr. Jenny or Dr. Wakefield in 1976? No, it was my EMPLOYER who started me THINKING.

I live in Naples where there are entire malls with nothing BUT some kind of medical facilities. It ain't "rural" or lack of medicare care. That isn't a reason for low flu shot rates. Try again.
In 1976 I was poor and had no access to health care.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:55 PM

8,021 posts, read 10,498,953 times
Quote:
That is called cocooning, when the family of the newborn makes sure everyone who is in close contact with the newborn is vaccinated for pertussis and it makes much more sense then denying entry to kindergarten students who haven't had the vaccine or threatening to sue people. It's also a voluntary measure families can take to protect their babies. It doesn't change the fact that the pertussis vaccine has issues with mutations which interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine as well as only providing short term protection.
So 0% effectiveness is better than 80-90% effectiveness? How does that logic work?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So 0% effectiveness is better than 80-90% effectiveness? How does that logic work?
It's called the "Nirvana Fallacy". It means if a vaccine isn't 100% effective, it's worthless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates