Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 01:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Recent update:

Since California's SB277 was signed into law eight years ago (in June); the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network (via the CDC) has identified that California now has diagnosed 45% more eight year old's with Autism than any other state in the network…

…Who is liable when 7% of children are now suffering a neurodevelopmental disorder that can cause pain & immunological dysfunction & a mortality risk that is twice as high as the general population? The life expectancy for the severely autistic is just 36 years old. Who is liable for this?
Yeah, except that vaccination rates in San Diego county are unchanged (actually decreased slightly) since SB277.
Further, ASD disorder is higher in the black community (5.4%) compared to the white community (3.1%) while childhood vaccination rates are lower among black children (66.5%) compared to white children (71.5%).

If we're going to start claiming that correlation = causation, the data clearly shows that vaccinations are preventing Autism, not causing it.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:34 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Autism is a complex genetic condition.
Do you know what a complex genetic condition means, Suzy?

Quote:
A complex disease (or condition), when discussed in the context of genetics, reflects a disorder that results from the contributions of multiple genomic variants and genes in conjunction with significant influences of the physical and social environment
https://www.genome.gov/genetics-glos...omplex-Disease

It means there is a mandatory environmental trigger. Autism is not chromosomal, like Down's. It is not single-gene; like Cystic Fibrosis.

Autism is genetic the same way alcoholism is genetic. You can be born with multiple variants associated with alcoholism but you won't become an alcoholic if you avoid abusing alcohol. Nobody is born an alcoholic.

You can be born with multiple variants associated with autism. Most of the 300+ variants lie on genes that mediate the immune system. But you won't regress INTO autism, if you avoid the atypical immune mediating provocation.

There is a mandatory environmental trigger for Autism. Autism's immune mediated origins are very well documented. The evidence of it can be seen in brain fMRIs, starting to occur after a baby is 6 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Also, maybe it begs the question...some of the best universities in the country (and maybe the world) are located in California. Stanford is the leading Research university, and we have Caltech, one of the leading science and engineering higher learning institutions. And that's just a couple of many colleges and universities in California, that focuses on those hard sciences.

Those kind of sciences seem to attract people on the spectrum. They marry, and have children...some of them perhaps on the spectrum?

Colorado and Massachusetts are also very autism friendly. Massachusetts ALSO has MIT. Again...I'm guessing it gets its fair share of people on the spectrum. They marry, have kids, etc. And there's Tufts University, that has an Engineering dept.

Colorado has the Colorado School of Mines, University of Colorado Boulder has a good engineering and biomedical sciences program...

So...I'm wondering...do those states, because of their autism friendly policies, and their insitutes of higher learning being hard-sciences oriented, DRAW IN autistic spectrum people?
Yes that would happen. I remember reading an article about the Silicon Valley's autism explosion back in the 1990's. I live in Colorado & know many severe autism families that moved here primarily for the services & supports available, as well as access to medical marijuana for minors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yeah, except that vaccination rates in San Diego county are unchanged (actually decreased slightly) since SB277.
Don't know where you are getting that from.

Statewide vaccination rate for Kindergartners jumped from 90.2% in 2014 (pre SB277) to 95.6% in 2017 (post SB277)

https://www.latimes.com/health/la-me...htmlstory.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Further, ASD disorder is higher in the black community (5.4%) compared to the white community (3.1%) while childhood vaccination rates are lower among black children (66.5%) compared to white children (71.5%).
But in California, 100% of black children in school are vaccinated, as the last students who were allowed to be unvaccinated exited the K-12 public schools in 2021. And the ADDM relies on data from the Dept of Education to calculate prevalence.

The only way black children can escape SB277 & vaccines is to be homeschooled & black families are majorly underrepresented in homeschooling.

https://responsiblehomeschooling.org...-demographics/

At any rate. The topic of this thread really didn't age well, after watching what happened with the covid vaccine & "spreading disease".

Old 03-30-2023, 01:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:

It means there is a mandatory environmental trigger. Autism is not chromosomal, like Down's. It is not single-gene; like Cystic Fibrosis.

Autism is genetic the same way alcoholism is genetic. You can be born with multiple variants associated with alcoholism but you won't become an alcoholic if you avoid abusing alcohol. Nobody is born an alcoholic.

You can be born with multiple variants associated with autism. Most of the 300+ variants lie on genes that mediate the immune system. But you won't regress INTO autism, if you avoid the atypical immune mediating provocation.

There is a mandatory environmental trigger for Autism. Autism's immune mediated origins are very well documented. The evidence of it can be seen in brain fMRIs, starting to occur after a baby is 6 months old.
It is a chicken/egg situation.

The genetic mutations cause the immune changes.

https://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2022/06/027.html

"Published today in the journal Brain, the paper focuses on ADNP and POGZ, the two top-ranked risk factor genes for ASD/ID. The research demonstrates that mutations in these genes result in abnormal activation and overexpression of immune response genes and genes for a type of immune cell in the brain called microglia."

Old 04-01-2023, 11:41 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,030 times
It's called informed consent. A patient must be told the risks versus the benefits and then the patient can make an informed decision for their child. It's an invasive procedure. Not as invasive as surgery but you should be told the risks involved with the vaccine before getting it just as you're told about the risks of a surgery. I was having a colonoscopy and was told the risks involved with it and I was willing to accept those risks in order to confirm if I had colon cancer or not. By not getting the colonoscopy, I could have colon cancer and I wouldn't know it until it was advanced.

The risk of NOT getting a vaccine isn't the same as the risk of not getting a colonoscopy or a badly needed surgery. There's no guarantee here that an unvaccinated person will develop the disease that you're vaccinating against, is there? There's no guarantee that an unvaccinated child will infect other children. If they don't get sick, then they aren't going to infect anyone. If they're sick and quarantined, then they aren't going to infect anyone.

If you're concerned about other children who haven't had the full series, well, if they're liable to get sick from an unvaccinated child, then they could potentially infect someone else too, correct? It's the same issue. Just like illnesses that can't be prevented with vaccines...any child can get sick and pass it to another child if parents aren't on top of things and quarantining their children appropriately.

The anti-vaxxer debate always assumes the unvaccinated people spread sickness but the debate fails to recognize that this can ONLY happen if the unvaccinated person is sick. There's no guarantee they will be sick!!!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-01-2023 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 04-01-2023, 01:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post

..... So...I'm wondering...do those states, because of their autism friendly policies, and their insitutes of higher learning being hard-sciences oriented, DRAW IN autistic spectrum people?
I'd think most likely. Where else are they supposed to go?

Old 04-01-2023, 02:09 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:

Yes that would happen. I remember reading an article about the Silicon Valley's autism explosion back in the 1990's. I live in Colorado & know many severe autism families that moved here primarily for the services & supports available, as well as access to medical marijuana for minors.

Don't know where you are getting that from.

Statewide vaccination rate for Kindergartners jumped from 90.2% in 2014 (pre SB277) to 95.6% in 2017 (post SB277)

https://www.latimes.com/health/la-me...htmlstory.html

But in California, 100% of black children in school are vaccinated, as the last students who were allowed to be unvaccinated exited the K-12 public schools in 2021. And the ADDM relies on data from the Dept of Education to calculate prevalence.

The only way black children can escape SB277 & vaccines is to be homeschooled & black families are majorly underrepresented in homeschooling.

https://responsiblehomeschooling.org...-demographics/

At any rate. The topic of this thread really didn't age well, after watching what happened with the covid vaccine & "spreading disease".

Haven't followed this thread in long time. Maybe you remember that my now 7 year old grandson is on the spectrum. He also has epilepsy. Genetics? His Pediatrician wanted his parents to ask grandparents if there was a history of epilepsy in the family and we said NO. Damn, I am a genealogist and have traced mine and my husband's families back generations.

Pediatrician I suppose didn't believe us and ordered his parents to have DNA tests done which showed NO predisposition to epilepsy. My daughter and SIL believe it was all the vaccines he got as a baby and toddler causing both conditions. We elderly relatives, and even his parents, never got all the vaccines young children get today.

I worked with both children on the spectrum in public schools, and also ADULTS in group homes. Two facts. Majority are MALES. Dispute THAT, Suzy Q. Why overwhelming male? Did my own little survey and asked that. Dads were you in the MILITARY? More vaccines, and CHEMICALS in combat, than the average woman ever receives. Autism seems to be passed on with something causing defects on Y chromosome.

I also believe less is more when it comes to medications today. Just listen to the side effects of the drugs being pushed on TV today. Ask your DOCTOR if a drug is "right for you". EVERYONE must take some drug to be healthy and stay ALIVE. I am 74, don't have any doctors, or take even ONE Medication. Impossible? My last vaccine was in 1956.

Edit: Your last paragraph is the last word on COVID.

Last edited by Jo48; 04-01-2023 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-01-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Haven't followed this thread in long time. Maybe you remember that my now 7 year old grandson is on the spectrum. He also has epilepsy. Genetics? His Pediatrician wanted his parents to ask grandparents if there was a history of epilepsy in the family and we said NO. Damn, I am a genealogist and have traced mine and my husband's families back generations.

Pediatrician I suppose didn't believe us and ordered his parents to have DNA tests done which showed NO predisposition to epilepsy. My daughter and SIL believe it was all the vaccines he got as a baby and toddler causing both conditions. We elderly relatives, and even his parents, never got all the vaccines young children get today.

I worked with both children on the spectrum in public schools, and also ADULTS in group homes. Two facts. Majority are MALES. Dispute THAT, Suzy Q. Why overwhelming male? Did my own little survey and asked that. Dads were you in the MILITARY? More vaccines, and CHEMICALS in combat, than the average woman ever receives. Autism seems to be passed on with something causing defects on Y chromosome.

I also believe less is more when it comes to medications today. Just listen to the side effects of the drugs being pushed on TV today. Ask your DOCTOR if a drug is "right for you". EVERYONE must take some drug to be healthy and stay ALIVE. I am 74, don't have any doctors, or take even ONE Medication. Impossible? My last vaccine was in 1956.

Edit: Your last paragraph is the last word on COVID.
The male to female ratio:

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/au...tio-explained/

Vaccines do not cause autism.

I can find no association between military service of a parent and autism. Do you have a source?

Old 04-01-2023, 05:59 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
OK, so about 10-12 yrs back, there was an outbreak of polio in GB. Come to find, it was from polio vaccinated. Their fecal masses carried the pathogen, it went into nature, cycled into meat, people it, et voila. Nature had large article on this.
Are vaccinated to be held liable then?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:46 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Anti-vaxxers are probably not liable for spreading diseases and killing/infecting other people. But they clearly should be held liable as they spread infectious diseases, especially on infants and elderly.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:16 AM

Young vaccinated people are not dropping dead from heart attacks or strokes or becoming disabled due to being vaccinated. What is happening is that anti-vaccine people are trying to blame the vaccines for events they did not cause.

The covid vaccines were fully tested, just in a compressed time frame. We now have information after millions of people have been vaccinated confirming their safety.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-05-2023 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote after quoted post was deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.