Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Will you apply the same standards to those who pass sexually transmitted diseases?

Shouldn't they be held accountable as well?
If they raped them, yes. But if someone consents to having sexual relations with someone, they are making a conscious choice knowing that exposure to disease is a possibility.

Diseases like measles can be transmitted without any direct contact, meaning I don't really have a choice to avoid it.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:30 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
How did she make it to adulthood with this allergy never having been diagnosed?? No hamburgers?? no pot roast?? no beef at all??

Fine for you..... As for me, I have had the real influenza flu ONE time and that was when I was a young and healthy 22 or 23 year old..... It was AWFUL..... my hair hurt!! and I was flat on my back for 5 or 6 days..... with exception of the MRSA infection I contracted many years later, I believe that was THE sickest I have ever been and if there is a way for me to minimize my chances of a repeat performance, you better believe I am going to take advantage of it..... I just don't understand WHY people are so willing to risk such an awful and miserable illness when it is so very easy to minimize that risk....
My daughter has had a dairy (cows) allergy since infancy. She was told that sometimes later in life that can extend to all beef products, not just milk products. This is why the Air Force discharged her; no burgers, chili, hot dogs, etc., in addition to dairy. Too difficult feeding her in the service. Difficult time COOKING Holiday Dinners for her. Peppercorn crusted Beef Tenderloin with Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce is not happening for her. She will need a separate Holiday Dinner from everyone else.

I was a very sickly child and young adult. Even my Mom used to say, "It's February (flu time), she is going to get sick". If you have it every single year, well, you become resigned/used to it. Yep, I did like clock work UNTIL I reached my 40's when it suddenly just all stopped, including being up close and personal with those who had the flu all around me. During the 2009 Flu even the CDC admitted that the reason that older adults, flu shots or not, weren't getting sick like younger adults was because they had been exposed to a similar strain before when they were young, not mass vaccinations/Herd Immunity. Younger adults had not lived through this before. lol Of course, been there, done that. Seriously, how MUCH can it possibly mutate from one year to the next? When you have had the flu for decades every year, maybe ENOUGH of each strain is similar enough to create anti bodies to it? I SURE the health professionals will find a way to "spin" the CDC's findings so it discounts this to promote Flu shots for all.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
How did she make it to adulthood with this allergy never having been diagnosed?? No hamburgers?? no pot roast?? no beef at all??

Fine for you..... As for me, I have had the real influenza flu ONE time and that was when I was a young and healthy 22 or 23 year old..... It was AWFUL..... my hair hurt!! and I was flat on my back for 5 or 6 days..... with exception of the MRSA infection I contracted many years later, I believe that was THE sickest I have ever been and if there is a way for me to minimize my chances of a repeat performance, you better believe I am going to take advantage of it..... I just don't understand WHY people are so willing to risk such an awful and miserable illness when it is so very easy to minimize that risk....
My daughter has had a dairy (cows) allergy since infancy. She was told that sometimes later in life that can extend to all beef products, not just milk products. This is why the Air Force discharged her; no burgers, chili, hot dogs, etc., in addition to dairy. Too difficult feeding her in the service. Difficult time COOKING Holiday Dinners for her. Peppercorn crusted Beef Tenderloin with Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce is not happening for her. She will need a separate Holiday Dinner from everyone else.

I was a very sickly child and young adult. Even my Mom used to say, "It's February (flu time), she is going to get sick". If you have it every single year, well, you become resigned/used to it. Yep, I did like clock work UNTIL I reached my 40's when it suddenly just all stopped, including being up close and personal with those who had the flu all around me. During the 2009 Flu even the CDC admitted that the reason that older adults, flu shots or not, weren't getting sick like younger adults was because they had been exposed to a similar strain before when they were young, not mass vaccinations/Herd Immunity. Younger adults had not lived through this before. lol Of course, been there, done that. Seriously, how MUCH can it possibly mutate from one year to the next? When you have had the flu for decades every year, maybe ENOUGH of each strain is similar enough to create anti bodies to it? I SURE the health professionals will find a way to "spin" the CDC's findings so it discounts this to promote Flu shots for all.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:55 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Will you apply the same standards to those who pass sexually transmitted diseases?

There are actually lawsuits that have been brought for transmitting an STD to someone. Its really not that new.

http://www.sdinjuryfirm.com/suing-so...ng-you-herpes/

Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I just don't think that people should be able to sue others just for not being vaccinated.
The question is not about being sued just for not vaccinating. It's about being sued because you did not vaccinate, you got sick with a preventable disease, and you gave that disease to someone else who suffered harm because of it.

Quote:

As Mark said, they have been, when they knew they were infected and did not tell a partner, who may have chosen not to have sex if the infection had been disclosed.

Quote:
Yes, it's the same argument that dope-smokers and drug-addicts use.

Since the vaccine formulations used in the 1950s and 1960s did not cause autism, then why not use those formulations?
The formulations used now do not cause autism. Why not use them?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Yes, it's the same argument that dope-smokers and drug-addicts use.

Since the vaccine formulations used in the 1950s and 1960s did not cause autism, then why not use those formulations?
Many of them are unchanged since then, including the most maligned of all, MMR.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The question is not about being sued just for not vaccinating. It's about being sued because you did not vaccinate, you got sick with a preventable disease, and you gave that disease to someone else who suffered harm because of it.

As Mark said, they have been, when they knew they were infected and did not tell a partner, who may have chosen not to have sex if the infection had been disclosed.

The formulations used now do not cause autism. Why not use them?
Ah, Suzy, but if you don't get vaccinated, don't get sick (ALL unvaccinated do?), and don't cause anyone else to get sick, what can you be sued for? I know you would like "consequences" solely based on the fact of being unvaccinated in the first place, even if nobody gets sick. Mights do not count.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ah, Suzy, but if you don't get vaccinated, don't get sick (ALL unvaccinated do?), and don't cause anyone else to get sick, what can you be sued for? I know you would like "consequences" solely based on the fact of being unvaccinated in the first place, even if nobody gets sick. Mights do not count.
Another person who does not understand the concept of risk.

If you are unvaccinated, don't get sick, and don't cause anyone else to get sick, there is no reason for a suit. There has been no harm done.

I have never said that all unvaccinated people get sick, and I have made it clear that the only way an unvaccinated person would be sued would be if he did get sick and then harmed another person by passing the infection to him.

Why should I be able to sue you because you injured my child by not driving safely but not be able to sue you when your unvaccinated child gave my baby measles? If you had vaccinated your child, the risk of his getting measles would have been about 1 in 100 when he was exposed. Without the vaccine, his risk of getting measles is close to 100% if exposed. And if you take your unvaccinated child to visit a country where measles still circulates in the population the risk of his being exposed is predictable.

I understand that you personally feel no obligation to do anything to reduce the risk that people you come in contact with might get sick from an illness you have. That's fine, but that does not absolve you of the risk that the person you injured might take you to court if the disease you had would most certainly not have happened if you had taken a vaccine for it.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I haven't had a flu shot in 30 years and no flu during that time. I didn't hide in my house either. I have been exposed and even cared for family members sick with the flu in my home on three occasions and didn't catch it. If I get the flu, I will have the flu. It's not that big of a concern to me.

Did those family members test + for flu?

Or did they just not feel so good for a week and called it "the flu". Like so many do when it really isn't.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-20-2016 at 12:03 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Obviously no one is referring to the un-vaxed who don't get sick and spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.