Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 12:09 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You have to be bitten by a mosquito in the place (for a woman), in order to spread Zika. If that does not happen, why take a vaccination? Better to take precautions against being bitten in the first place.

We live in South Florida, have been to many outdoor events, including to the Everglades. My husband can be right next to me and be eaten alive, but they don't bite me. I don't sweat (not good)? They don't like my scent or something in my blood?

Another poster said to get tested for Zika? Why? I, and my husband, have not been outside of the country. Absolutely no reason to get tested.

Go on the Florida site here. You will hear the majority saying to just wear repellent or cover up, and enjoy the weather.
You are mistaken. Either a woman or a man can become infected with zika and pass it on through mosquito bites. Your husband is a pest hole waiting to happen. However, there is currently no vaccine, so get ready for a lot of deformed children.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The oral polio vaccine can cause polio. That is why it is no longer used in the US and has not been since 2000. The killed virus injectable vaccine cannot cause polio because the virus in it cannot replicate. The gentleman in your video was given the oral vaccine in Croatia. If he got better, it was not due to eating carrots and bananas.

If vaccines were not effective, we would still be getting smallpox.

The vaccines in current use in the US do not "do more to cause the very disease they are supposed to protect against."

Glad you and your mom survived. Also glad she did not have German measles while she was pregnant with you. Many people do not survive vaccine preventable diseases and many more are left with handicaps after they survive. Measles infection leaves the immune system damaged for up to three years after recovery from the initial infection, increasing the risk of getting other infections. The measles vaccine does not do that. Having chickenpox produces a lifelong susceptibility to shingles. The vaccine produces a much lower risk of that.

As to healthy people not dying from measles, that is just poppycock. Here is author Roald Dahl's account of the death of his daughter Olivia:

Read Roald Dahl's Powerful Pro-Vaccination Letter (From 1988)

I am one of the parents who had a child with cancer and was, in your opinion, "stupid enough to put the child through the barbaric allopathic treatments for it". He was 13 years old when he was diagnosed. He is now 40, a husband and father, and happily gainfully employed. These days, over 90% of the children who have the same leukemia he did are cured. He was on chemo for four years. Were we supposed to keep him at home that whole time? Of course we worried about his catching something. Parents of kids on chemo should not have to worry about their children catching something preventable, though. They should be able to expect to send their children to school and not have to worry about being exposed to chickenpox.

Yes, being immunocompromised increases the risk of getting infections. That is why we need to maintain herd immunity with vaccines for the diseases we can prevent.

The idea that perfectly healthy people do not get infections is ludicrous. Of course they do, every day.

There are a few rare people who have a gene that protects them from HIV. Other perfectly healthy people can and do get HIV.
I didn't know they had pulled the Sabin vaccine. I do remember that the Sabin vaccine(nasal) was not as safe as the Salk vaccine but was more effective, so they started giving the Salk vaccine first, followed by the Sabin vaccine in an effort to reduce active polio cases.

Once again from a livestock breeder perspective, live virus vaccines are never given during gestation because of the risk of adverse effects on the fetus. Killed virus and bacterin vaccines are safe during pregnancy. I don't know what percentage of humans schedule pregnancies, but if a woman is planning on going off birth control and starting a family, she should talk to her physician first about getting her live virus vaccines up to date. Chances are there won't be a problem, since live virus vaccines are generally quite effective for along time. Varicella vaccine, for instance, confers lifetime immunity to chicken pox.

The smallpox vaccine also conferred lifetime immunity, but it was often re-administered to catch any ineffective vaccines the first time. I know I got a smallpox vaccination when I started first grade (no kindergarten in those days) and a second vaccination when I was 10. I had the scar from the second immunization for years, but now I can't even remember which arm it was on.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Corruption. Follow the trail. Someone runs for Governor. Accused of Medicare Fraud. In order to be on the "up and up", sells all his shares in a diagnostic company, but wifey never sells hers.

Said diagnostics company is actively recruited to open up a Lab in the State by Governor. All Civil Servants and Welfare Recipients are drug tested by this company.

Governor declares a State Health Emergency for Zika in February, despite no single locally acquired Zika infection.

Yesterday, FDA rushes approval for a commercial testing kit for Zika. Guess WHO they give this to?

Again, follow the money. Don't trust Science? How about don't trust Government either????? Dr. Thompson of the CDC? lol They are all in bed with each other. Follow the trail and see exactly what Congressperson has ties to the Pharm. Industry if not presently but formerly. Congressman Pan of California????? Look up Dr. Carlsen's, "Nobody should be able to refuse a Vaccine", resume. Go look up who the head of the CDC formerly worked for.

It is not all about Science. You cannot escape the Politics of this, although this might be more fodder for the Politics site. However, it is all connected and not solely about Science.
If you really want to follow the money, take a look at what people who use vaccines for business do. Vaccination can mean the difference between a profitable herd and bankruptcy. It is an essential tool for maintaining herd health. Every animal species is subject to contagious diseases, and some of them are very serious.

http://extension.missouri.edu/ozark/...l%20Script.pdf

There are certainly political considerations. During the terrorism panic 15 years ago the government decided to stockpile enough anthrax vaccine to vaccinate 25 million people. They eventually realized it was just a panic reaction and canceled the program. I don't think any of it was actually used. However, cattle ranchers in the desert SW vaccinate their herds for anthrax all the time, because the spores can persist for decades in the dessicated carcasses of animals that died of anthrax. If you live in a city, and most Americans do, you have a good chance of being exposed to some very nasty diseases that can leave you damaged for life. A vaccination program is an excellent personal safety measure.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:13 AM

37,118 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I didn't know they had pulled the Sabin vaccine. I do remember that the Sabin vaccine(nasal) was not as safe as the Salk vaccine but was more effective, so they started giving the Salk vaccine first, followed by the Sabin vaccine in an effort to reduce active polio cases.

Once again from a livestock breeder perspective, live virus vaccines are never given during gestation because of the risk of adverse effects on the fetus. Killed virus and bacterin vaccines are safe during pregnancy. I don't know what percentage of humans schedule pregnancies, but if a woman is planning on going off birth control and starting a family, she should talk to her physician first about getting her live virus vaccines up to date. Chances are there won't be a problem, since live virus vaccines are generally quite effective for along time. Varicella vaccine, for instance, confers lifetime immunity to chicken pox.

The smallpox vaccine also conferred lifetime immunity, but it was often re-administered to catch any ineffective vaccines the first time. I know I got a smallpox vaccination when I started first grade (no kindergarten in those days) and a second vaccination when I was 10. I had the scar from the second immunization for years, but now I can't even remember which arm it was on.
The Sabin vaccine was oral, not nasal. You may be thinking of one of the current flu vaccines, which is given that way. Because of the risk of polio with the live vaccine, it was discontinued in the US in 2000. At that point the almost zero risk of getting polio here did not justify the risk from the vaccine. The oral vaccine is more effective and is still used as part of the worldwide polio eradication effort, but WHO is phasing it out. The oral vaccine had three serotypes of the virus; it is currently being replaced with one with two serotypes because the third one has already been eradicated. The plan is to switch to the Salk vaccine eventually in countries still using the oral one. The US now uses only the Salk version.

There is concern from some virologists that removing the serotype that is being eliminated from the vaccine may be premature and that at least one dose of the killed vaccine with all three serotypes should be part of the protocol in countries that are making the switch.

The Sabin vaccine was a pink liquid, usually administered as a few drops on a sugar cube. My mother helped with the vaccinations at my elementary school when I got mine, and she was the one to actually give it to me.

The vaccines that should be part of pre-conception planning are rubella and, as you mention, varicella. Since there are people who have been vaccinated who are not protected, actually measuring titers for those two is recommended. Boosters can be given if needed. Unfortunately, about half of pregnancies in the US are unplanned. The rubella vaccine is given to children primarily to reduce the risk of congenital rubella syndrome.

My smallpox vaccination scar is faint, but still there, on my upper left arm. My MIL is fond of telling us that hers is on her thigh - where no one would ever see it. She is 93; when she was vaccinated women were wearing bathing suits with skirts! No one predicted how swim suits would change. My sons were born in 1975 and 1977. They never had to take the smallpox vaccine; routine vaccination for it was discontinued in the US in 1972.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
I had the oral Polio one, that was in 2003 (for the booster). Guess the UK was behind the US in switching over to the safer vaccine. The TB one left a scar on me.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:20 AM

37,118 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I had the oral Polio one, that was in 2003 (for the booster). Guess the UK was behind the US in switching over to the safer vaccine. The TB one left a scar on me.
The UK switched in 2004.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nuary-2013.pdf

The TB vaccine is not routinely used in the US. The risk of TB is low, it's not very effective in adults, and it can interfere with the TB skin test.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:51 AM

Not routinely used here either, only for risk groups, same for Hep B and Chicken Pox and a few others - we don't get nearly as many, guess because of cost concerns. Have to buy them yourself if you want the ones not on schedule (got meningitis and chicken pox ones for my daughter)

Old 04-30-2016, 07:02 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Not routinely used here either, only for risk groups, same for Hep B and Chicken Pox and a few others - we don't get nearly as many, guess because of cost concerns. Have to buy them yourself if you want the ones not on schedule (got meningitis and chicken pox ones for my daughter)
You bring up an excellent point. Other Sovereign Nations do not have the same Vaccination Rules and Regulations that the US does. Australia is probably the only country which is stricter than the US.

Both Germany and France (hardly Third World Countries) had Measles outbreaks far greater than the US from Disney. Last year a NYC college student went to Germany on break and caught Measles there. Came back into the country (on a plane), and then went around taking the subways, and Metro North Trains. Very possible something like this happened with the Mumps outbreak at Harvard too.

How do some on this thread propose to police other countries and tell them what to do? Close the borders to all people from other countries? Do not let American citizens out of the country? American citizens are not required to show vaccination records coming back into the US. If it was required, for which? The list today is quite long.

Here is a question for others. What would you do about an infant too young to be vaccinated? Would you ban their parents from taking them to another country? Should infants be "cocooned" from traveling anywhere until they are old enough to have received all their vaccinations? Nobody has ever seen a very young infant on a plane?

Totally unenforceable concept which our Congress would not agree to. Yes, I fully know that in 1967, when I went to London, an American needed a Small Pox booster for overseas travel. That was ONE. How many would that be for 2016 with all the "deadly" diseases there are vaccinations for?

Old 04-30-2016, 07:21 AM

Its easier to have less vaccinations in a small country that is rarely travelling to. The US is quite quite different in that respect so the risk of diseases spreading is much larger.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
You bring up an excellent point. Other Sovereign Nations do not have the same Vaccination Rules and Regulations that the US does. Australia is probably the only country which is stricter than the US.

Both Germany and France (hardly Third World Countries) had Measles outbreaks far greater than the US from Disney. Last year a NYC college student went to Germany on break and caught Measles there. Came back into the country (on a plane), and then went around taking the subways, and Metro North Trains. Very possible something like this happened with the Mumps outbreak at Harvard too.

How do some on this thread propose to police other countries and tell them what to do? Close the borders to all people from other countries? Do not let American citizens out of the country? American citizens are not required to show vaccination records coming back into the US. If it was required, for which? The list today is quite long.

Here is a question for others. What would you do about an infant too young to be vaccinated? Would you ban their parents from taking them to another country? Should infants be "cocooned" from traveling anywhere until they are old enough to have received all their vaccinations? Nobody has ever seen a very young infant on a plane?

Totally unenforceable concept which our Congress would not agree to. Yes, I fully know that in 1967, when I went to London, an American needed a Small Pox booster for overseas travel. That was ONE. How many would that be for 2016 with all the "deadly" diseases there are vaccinations for?
OMG, "Sovereign Nations"! Good Grief, cue the Continental Congress! (I can do sarcasm, too, Jo.) Many European countries are moving toward a more inclusive schedule, and like Natsku (and others) said, it's a cost issue in many cases, not a science issue. Canada's schedule is much like ours.

The only one who seems to be so concerned about policing other countries is you. You continually bring this up. It is thought that a foreign exchange student, probably from Europe, started the Harvard mumps outbreak; there have several outbreaks on several college campuses this year.

I wouldn't have a problem with people being questioned about communicable diseases as they go through customs, just like they do when you get on a cruise boat. For foreign exchange students, I probably wouldn't admit them if they didn't have all their IZs required by the other students. I'd only allow for medical exemptions. But that's me.

Infants too young to be vaccinated are generally exempt from the vaccine requirements that some countries have for entry. Flying, in general, is considered safe for infants, but as always, one has to be concerned about exposure to disease with unimmunized or partially immunized infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates