Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well, we do know after the eighth year.

Let's ask Dr. Sears, shall we?

Chickenpox Vaccine - Ask Dr Sears® | The Trusted Resource for Parents

"How long does the immunity last? Since the VV was licensed for use in the United States in 1995, it is too early in our country to tell the long-term benefits. Yet, pre-licensure clinical trials in the U.S. have indicated protection for at least thirteen years, and studies in Japan have shown protection for at least twenty years.
We know that from year one to year two post vaccination that the protection goes from 97% to 86% and then down to 81% to 86% in year 8. What is the true number for year 13 or year 20?
Quote:
Long-term Effectiveness of Varicella Vaccine: A 14-Year, Prospective Cohort Study | Articles | Pediatrics

"No child developed varicella after a second dose. HZ [herpes zoster] cases were mild, and rates were lower in the cohort of vaccinated children than in unvaccinated children during the prevaccine era (relative risk: 0.61 [95% confidence interval: 0.43–0.89])."

"CONCLUSIONS: This study confirmed that varicella vaccine is effective at preventing chicken pox, with no waning noted over a 14-year period. One dose provided excellent protection against moderate to severe disease, and most cases occurred shortly after the cohort was vaccinated. The study data also suggest that varicella vaccination may reduce the risks of HZ in vaccinated children."

No waning? That contradicts the previous link that Kat shared. Maybe it's because your favored study is funded by Merck and the scientists who wrote it have major conflicts of interest.

Quote:
FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Dr Saddier is an employee of Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp and holds stock and stock options in Merck; Dr Tran and Mr Coplan were employees of Merck at the time of the study; Dr Baxter has received research grants from Merck, Sanofi Pasteur, GlaxoSmithKline, and Novartis; Dr Black is a consultant for Novartis and is on data safety monitoring boards for Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline, and the World Health Organization; Dr Shinefield received research grants and consulting fees from Merck; Ms Ray and Mr Fireman have indicated they have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.
FUNDING: Sponsored by Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:52 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
"Some studies support the hypothesis that being exposed to chicken pox after having it or after having the vaccine is something that helps stave of shingles via exogenous boost. That no longer happens much since chicken pox is so rare people don't get the benefit of re-exposure The "solution" will just be more and more vaccines."

Very possible. Why are so many young adults in their 30's and 40's getting Shingles? They are not being exposed to it again from their own children.

Over 60? They are not being exposed to it from their grandkids. Over 80 most risk? Well, it would be an extremely long time since they were exposed to chicken pox from their now 50 and 60 year old children.

As you said, more and more vaccinations. Perhaps they will lower the age of the Shingles vaccination to 30+?

Edit: Regarding the article posted about the Chicken Pox vaccination and not knowing how long it will last? Too new yet to tell if it will last a lifetime?

Well, since both my daughter and I touched our husbands oozing Shingles rash and did not catch chicken pox again, that would be 25 years for my daughter (had the pox at 6) and my 65 years (had the pox at 7 months) for our naturally acquired immunity to chicken pox. They cannot say this with the vaccine.

Last edited by Jo48; 04-30-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 10:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We know that from year one to year two post vaccination that the protection goes from 97% to 86% and then down to 81% to 86% in year 8. What is the true number for year 13 or year 20?

No waning? That contradicts the previous link that Kat shared. Maybe it's because your favored study is funded by Merck and the scientists who wrote it have major conflicts of interest.

Now just a minute! What in any link I posted contradicts anything suzy posted?

And PLEASE quit using these childish emoticoms.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Now just a minute! What in any link I posted contradicts anything suzy posted? .
The efficacy rate. The link you shared showed 97% at year on, 86% at year two and 81-86% at year 8. Suzy's link to the study that was pretty much written by Merck states "no waning".

Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You are mistaken. Either a woman or a man can become infected with zika and pass it on through mosquito bites. Your husband is a pest hole waiting to happen. However, there is currently no vaccine, so get ready for a lot of deformed children.
First U.S. Zika death reported in Puerto Rico - CNN.com

My husband is only 3 years younger than this man who died. My husband has 5 stents and takes blood thinners for the rest of his life to prevent clogging around them. He has to be extremely careful not to bleed. Just going to the Dentist is a major procedure for him.

Perhaps he has far more things to worry about, maybe like dying, than being a "pest hole waiting to happen". Add the elderly to the Zika risk?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
The efficacy rate. The link you shared showed 97% at year on, 86% at year two and 81-86% at year 8. Suzy's link to the study that was pretty much written by Merck states "no waning".
Please post the link, and quit trying to play "divide and conquer". Different studies will show different results.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Please post the link, and quit trying to play "divide and conquer". Different studies will show different results.
It was the last link you posted here just one page back. I didn't realize that you would not remember posting it so I didn't see any reason to repost it. Here it is. You can literally go back one single page and find it.
I'm not playing anything. Relax. Suzy's study has major conflicts of interest.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:18 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
You can still get shingles after having the chicken pox vaccine. Having chicken pox or the varicella vaccine is what makes you susceptible to getting shingles later in life. The idea that getting the vaccine vs the natural infection makes you less likely to get shingles or a milder version is pure speculation.

Some studies support the hypothesis that being exposed to chicken pox after having it or after having the vaccine is something that helps stave of shingles via exogenous boost. That no longer happens much since chicken pox is so rare people don't get the benefit of re-exposure The "solution" will just be more and more vaccines.
The risk of shingles is less after the vaccine and appears to be greater if there is a rash after getting it. It tends to be less severe, too. That is not speculative.

From the study I previously linked to:

Long-term Effectiveness of Varicella Vaccine: A 14-Year, Prospective Cohort Study | Articles | Pediatrics

"HZ cases were mild, and rates were lower in the cohort of vaccinated children than in unvaccinated children during the prevaccine era (relative risk: 0.61 [95% confidence interval: 0.43–0.89])"

A relative risk of 0.61 means the risk with the vaccine is reduced by 39%.

If you are going to challenge the study on the basis of its funding, which is disclosed, you should provide evidence to support your claim. Industry funding does not automatically mean the study is biased. If you have such evidence, please supply it.

Adults can get the zoster vaccine.

We should not allow children to get a potentially fatal vaccine preventable disease because of a theoretical, unproven risk to adults.

What is your specific concern about the chickenpox vaccine? Serious reactions to it are extremely rare.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Parents should go to jail for not vaccinating their children.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The risk of shingles is less after the vaccine and appears to be greater if there is a rash after getting it. It tends to be less severe, too. That is not speculative.

From the study I previously linked to:

"HZ cases were mild, and rates were lower in the cohort of vaccinated children than in unvaccinated children during the prevaccine era (relative risk: 0.61 [95% confidence interval: 0.43–0.89])"

A relative risk of 0.61 means the risk with the vaccine is reduced by 39%.

If you are going to challenge the study on the basis of its funding, which is disclosed, you should provide evidence to support your claim. Industry funding does not automatically mean the study is biased. If you have such evidence, please supply it.

Adults can get the zoster vaccine.

We should not allow children to get a potentially fatal vaccine preventable disease because of a theoretical, unproven risk to adults.

What is your specific concern about the chickenpox vaccine? Serious reactions to it are extremely rare.
"Adults can get the zoster vaccine". If they are under 50 years old? I also do not think that a 35 year old can demand a Zoster Vaccine ($300) and will have that covered by their insurance since it not "recommended" by the CDC list. BTW, I believe according to the CDC only about 25% of those age eligible for that Zoster get it. How many young adults would be getting it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.