Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Do we need borders, in order to preserve culture? It seems to me that Irish culture does quite well in America, for example; it has become deeply ingrained in the American psyche (to the extent that there is one). Somali culture, just to give another example, has much less broadbased penetration, but enjoys thriving success in various American cities. Perhaps the greatest example is Jewish culture, which has been preserved admirably well for 2000 years, without any borders at all, until 1948.

Maybe I'm dense, but I struggle to see the downside of such a hypothetical trend.
The culture of new Irish immigrants and the culture of the Irish that have been here for many years is different.

The festival culture that people bring out occasionally where they eat the food, do the dance, and sing the songs is temporary. They go back to everyday life. The newer immigrants tend to live their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Here's how I feel. I love living here and will never move from the United States. I think it is a great place and I'm happy here. I vote. I can say what I feel is right or wrong about how our country is run and I do as often as I like. Is that patriotic? Depends on who you ask I think. I don't fly the flag at my house, post politcal signs in my yard, never has any desire to serve in the military or donate to that or anything else political. I feel really fortunate to be born a citizen here. There a far far worse places in the world. I know this is a great country. I do not know that it is the best in the world simply because I don't know enough about everywhere else in the world.

These athletes that call attention to themselves during the national athem at games are selfish jerks. They have benefitted a lot from being here and I think its the worst kind of disrespect there is. If you feel so strongly quit the team. Oh no, wait, the money, can't do that. I think it proves they don't even really believe in what they are doing if they won't kiss the money good bye and walk away. What really speaks to them more? Money. So stupid. Why not just admit to themselves and everyone else that they are in a good place?
The freedom to question and criticize our government and authority figures is a big part of what makes our country what it is. Take that away and America will no longer even remotely represent what it claims.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
How about, being an advocate for Planet Earth? Some of us may wish to consider moving there.

Personal values aside, I continue to marvel at the display of said values. The sanctimony and ostentatiousness of American patriotic expression is really overdone. In how many other nations is a sporting-event or music-concert preceded by a singing of the national anthem? In how many other countries are school-children expected to recite a daily oath of fealty? This didn't happen even in the USSR.
Well, I can answer part of your question. In Thailand the national anthem is played every morning in many public places (such as railway terminals), not just schools. And students do some sort of pledge every morning. So it's hardly just us.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:05 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
True story:

Years ago I invited a number of British drug squads to a US Air Force Base in England for a social evening with my lads - who also conducted international drug investigations. They drank the Officer's Club out of Michelob (no kidding ), so at 1:00 AM we walked over to the NCO club. Lots of NCOs enjoying a Friday night out and lots more beer.

About 1:30 AM, the DJ put Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" on at top volume. By the third note, every American in the club was on his or her feet, singing along at the top of their lungs. We probably sounded terrible, but the beer mitigated.

The Brits just stared at us slack-jawed.

When it was over, the head of one British unit told me he was amazed at the depth of our patriotism. He said he had never seen such a display by his countrymen. Then he leaned close so none of his colleagues would hear, and quietly said, "No wonder you're a superpower..."

Patriotism has its place.
And yet in many situations they sing "God Save The Queen".

Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
If patriotism is blindly following a govt and it's political underlying deception...then no. There is no shame in being realistic.

I love my country (land) and culture. I do not feel patriotic or ashamed for having the wherewithal to see the truth of democracy.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
There is a right and wrong time to do or say anything. Putting a spotlight on yourself in a stadium of people in this way is selfish.
Who was assigned to decide this right or wrong time?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,403 times
Quote:
There is a right and wrong time to do or say anything. Putting a spotlight on yourself in a stadium of people in this way is selfish.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Was this guy being selfish when he expressed his opinion while a spotlight was literally on him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8RIiTyhMI

Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
True story: Years ago I invited a number of British drug squads to a US Air Force Base in England for a social evening with my lads - who also conducted international drug investigations. They drank the Officer's Club out of Michelob (no kidding), so at 1:00 AM we walked over to the NCO club. Lots of NCOs enjoying a Friday night out and lots more beer. About 1:30 AM, the DJ put Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" on at top volume. By the third note, every American in the club was on his or her feet, singing along at the top of their lungs. We probably sounded terrible, but the beer mitigated. The Brits just stared at us slack-jawed. When it was over, the head of one British unit told me he was amazed at the depth of our patriotism. He said he had never seen such a display by his countrymen. Then he leaned close so none of his colleagues would hear, and quietly said, "No wonder you're a superpower..." Patriotism has its place.
Cool story.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 PM

24 posts, read 17,033 times
Patriotism is a government propaganda. The utility of that patriotism is to keep the states united. The main goal of that patriotism is making people feel that USA is a special place. So, no one would like his state to secede from that special place called USA and everyone is happy to be a part of that union.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
It would help to know why you are not patriotic. Most of the quotes above refer to patriotism causing wars. Is that your reasoning as well?

I think we are lucky that there were millions of patriotic people during WWII, otherwise, we'd be living under a swastika. Then you would face a firing squad for lack of patriotism.
Adolf Hitler would never, ever have attempted to take over the United States of America. He was a vile, dictatorial demagogue, a truly evil man, but he wasn't stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates