Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
You're entitled to your opinion.

Was this guy being selfish when he expressed his opinion while a spotlight was literally on him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8RIiTyhMI
Your video doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:32 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, how do you view patriotism? Something to be proud of or ashamed of?
Blind patriotism is, well, nothing more than blind and very narrow-minded zealotry.

"My country right, or wrong" is stupidity, not patriotism.

[A] staggering lack of knowledge, combined with a blind and emotional patriotism, is a formula for disaster. The result is a proliferation of uninformed American exceptionalism that is akin to a social narcissism, a self-centered sense of importance and superiority that can have dire consequences.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tting-out-hand

Patriotism requires critical thinking, especially since it is primarily an emotion. You can love your country -- which is what patriotism is all about -- while still being critical of your country's past, present or future actions and policies.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu12 View Post
Patriotism is a government propaganda. The utility of that patriotism is to keep the states united. The main goal of that patriotism is making people feel that USA is a special place. So, no one would like his state to secede from that special place called USA and everyone is happy to be a part of that union.
Not at all.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
There is a lot of good perspective here that those who find patriotism distasteful should study on. The Founders who gave their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor so that this republic would stand remind me of what true patriotism is, as many here have mentioned.

I think though that one has to discipline his/her thinking about his/her pursuit of patriotism. Boxer, in George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' was certainly patriotic to the extent he proclaimed his loyalty to the 'government' at each of it's various manifestations in the barnyard.

I don't think supporting your country right or wrong is what one should consider patriotic. It is simply your agreement as a citizen of that country to abide by the rules of those who make them at that point in time. Patriotism to me means you have studied and understand your nations underpinnings in law and custom so as to be willing to sacrifice yourself, whether it be through your monetary gain or through your health or life, with the goal that whatever your sacrifice, your country's laws and customs will continue no matter your personal outcome. Heck even refusing to litter is, I believe, patriotic in that a person cares enough about his/her neighbor, their community, and their state or country, that they refuse to blemish it's grounds with their refuse.

Patriotism I guess to me is more the practice of nobility in the adherence of one's ideals and love of his/her country and fellow citizens so that we reinforce each other's senses of being 'Americans' or Canadians, or Chinese, etc. Certainly I don't claim to always do the patriotic thing. I am far from perfect. But patriotism I believe, is something worth striving for.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
In my opinion, I think it is far more shameful to be blindly patriotic to your country without questioning of any actions the country has taken than it is not to be patriotic. No country has conducted itself perfectly in all matters, especially the United States. Most Americans are patriotic not because America is great but this country is the best deal they have available to them (which is more a sad commentary on how the rest of the world is.) We should know by now this country is not great for everyone and naturally those people are not going to be proud Americans until America works for them better.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 AM

24 posts, read 17,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not at all.
Why not? USA is a very big country and the government is obliged to use patriotism propaganda to keep the country united. Otherwise, many states would have seceded from the union long time ago.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Any number of the super-patriots I've encountered are lacking in foreign travel, having little or no comparisons to make, their travel adventures confined to our 50 states. How on earth can one claim that this is the best country if they've never been across the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean and done some exploring, observing!

I've been all over the world, and the more I've traveled, the less patriotic I became.

A real test to the super-patriots would be if, for instance, the U.S. suffered a severe economic recession, and Canada's economy, at the same time, prospered, and they were looking high and low for white English-speaking workers. And there they go, scratching their heads: "Let's see now! Universal Health Care in Canada, and?"

Last edited by tijlover; 11-30-2016 at 01:08 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I can't imagine the pain it must bring to the surviving members of "the Greatest Generation", those who fought and sacrificed in the name of freedom to watch some idiot trample on or burn the American flag. It is the epitome of hypocrisy that those who desecrate the flag are able to do so without fear of being beaten, locked up or even killed because of the people who loved that flag and sacrificed to give them the protected rights to do so.
IMO, if more patriotic people had trampled, burnt the American flag during the Vietnam War, that huge black stain on this country, perhaps that disastrous, unnecessary war could have come to a halt sooner?

Jane Fonda? Super-patriot?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:09 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Patriotism has been held in all ages to be the noblest feeling of Man. The opinions of a few cranks who are unable to rise to its demands is of no consequence.

Agreed. I cannot believe the OP used the names of the clods as an example.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
....So one can be patriotic only when they get something from their country or something goes their favor? I've always seen it as kind of a marriage, for better or worse in sickness and in health.
Mr. Hitler would have loved you...perhaps even loved you to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates