Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
There is a lot of irony and hypocrisy behind the left's efforts to eradicate rape and sexual oppression from our society while at the same time seeking to drastically increase immigration and cultural influence from a society that is perhaps decades if not centuries behind our own when it comes to matters of feminism and women's rights. There is rape and violence in all cultures but it is ingrained deeper in some cultures than it is in others.
1. It's not just the Left that seeks to reduce (I doubt that eradication is possible) or minimize rape to the extent feasible in the US.

2. Is Islam (I assume that's who's meant) falling behind the West in matters of feminism and women's rights?Yes, more than likely, given that Islam doesn't look @ individual rights. It looks to right practice by believers, more than right belief.

Yah, somehow Islam has missed the boat. They haven't undergone an Industrial Revolution, an Enlightenment, the separation of Church & State, the institutions of secular law & government, free adequate & public education, free press, freedom of assembly, representative government, public participation in government & the economy - from the US POV, most Islamic countries are missing a lot of key components that we take for granted. Mostly their loss, I think.

& yet - if people there (or anywhere, for that matter) want to flee to the US as refugees, & if they pass background checks satisfactorily, & pledge to adapt to US society, I think we should allow them in provisionally. If they can fit into US society successfully, then we can let them start on the process to become naturalized US citizens - a lengthy process, BTW. Plenty of time to detect any issues - & if need be, expel individuals for failure to adapt to life in the US.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I self identified as liberal for over a decade and had a lot of liberal college professors. The reality is many liberals are White supremacists who hold White and /or Christians to a very high standard but then have low standards for everyone else. I actually had a college class were we discussed why it was wrong for Eminem to say b*tch and hoe but it was ok for Black rappers. In class discussions where there were only Whites in the classroom it was often stated in code talk that Black people are not capable of living without govt. holding their hand and leading them. If you think White liberals can't be just as racist as any KKK member you're kidding yourself.

As the years went along it became harder for me to be a liberal because I believe all humans are equal. If you believe all human beings are equal you will hold them all equally accountable. If you believe some groups are inferior you lower the standard. The fact that Liberals are willing to surrender on gay rights and women's rights to further the lab experiment called Multiculturalism is one reason I can no longer support them. Why the mayor in Germany started telling women they had to dress more modest so refugees wouldn't rape them that was the day I stopped voted Democrat.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:29 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There's something I'm really curious about and I know that two CD posters don't speak for all relatively liberal people; why is it that "date" or "rape" safety on campus is so heavily promoted whereas focus on Muslim immigrant rape is frowned upon? I don't understand.
What are you talking about? Rape is rape. Rape awareness is promoted on campus because college is an institution where rape incidents cluster, and where it's easy to disseminate educational materials. The efforts are focused on date rape, vs. stranger rape, because that's the type of incident that occurs there. However, rape awareness and rape prosecution have been enhanced community-wide and nation-wide since the 1980's-90's, when the women's movement pressed for rape kits in hospitals, more sensitive rape exams and case handling by police, and some procedural changes in the courts. So there have been public education efforts over the decades outside of campuses, among the general public, as well.

No one gets a free pass by ethnicity. It tends to work more by socio-economic status. OK, college boys used to get a free pass, but that's beginning to change. But I know of several cases of rapes committed by E European immigrants, and assaults and murders as well (remember Bill Cosby's son being shot on an LA freeway? It was a Russian guy) in which the perps got major prison time.

The US isn't Europe. There is no immigrant crisis here. Peddle your agenda elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I self identified as liberal for over a decade and had a lot of liberal college professors. The reality is many liberals are White supremacists who hold White and /or Christians to a very high standard but then have low standards for everyone else. I actually had a college class were we discussed why it was wrong for Eminem to say b*tch and hoe but it was ok for Black rappers. In class discussions where there were only Whites in the classroom it was often stated in code talk that Black people are not capable of living without govt. holding their hand and leading them. If you think White liberals can't be just as racist as any KKK member you're kidding yourself.

As the years went along it became harder for me to be a liberal because I believe all humans are equal. If you believe all human beings are equal you will hold them all equally accountable. If you believe some groups are inferior you lower the standard. The fact that Liberals are willing to surrender on gay rights and women's rights to further the lab experiment called Multiculturalism is one reason I can no longer support them. Why the mayor in Germany started telling women they had to dress more modest so refugees wouldn't rape them that was the day I stopped voted Democrat.
Using absolutes such as you can't support gay and women's rights and multiculturalism at the same time invalidates your opinion. A person can assert their cultural identity while still observing the laws of the land. Most people are actually able to. Again using the worst of one group to represent the whole group is the mark of xenophobes.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of irony and hypocrisy behind the left's efforts to eradicate rape and sexual oppression from our society while at the same time seeking to drastically increase immigration and cultural influence from a society that is perhaps decades if not centuries behind our own when it comes to matters of feminism and women's rights. There is rape and violence in all cultures but it is ingrained deeper in some cultures than it is in others.
That is not a Left initiative. If you're not happy with it, complain to the State Department and your representatives in Congress. It's not the result of some left-wing movement. While you're at it, include a complaint about E European criminals being given immigration visas on the basis of phony clean police reports obtained through bribery.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are you talking about? Rape is rape. Rape awareness is promoted on campus because college is an institution where rape incidents cluster, and where it's easy to disseminate educational materials. The efforts are focused on date rape, vs. stranger rape, because that's the type of incident that occurs there. However, rape awareness and rape prosecution have been enhanced community-wide and nation-wide since the 1980's-90's, when the women's movement pressed for rape kits in hospitals, more sensitive rape exams and case handling by police, and some procedural changes in the courts. So there have been public education efforts over the decades outside of campuses, among the general public, as well.

No one gets a free pass by ethnicity. It tends to work more by socio-economic status. OK, college boys used to get a free pass, but that's beginning to change. But I know of several cases of rapes committed by E European immigrants, and assaults and murders as well (remember Bill Cosby's son being shot on an LA freeway? It was a Russian guy) in which the perps got major prison time.

The US isn't Europe. There is no immigrant crisis here. Peddle your agenda elsewhere.
But rape by an immigrant or Muslim is somehow worse than rape by an American citizen.

At least that is what some folks in Conservative circles want us to believe.

I have to wonder if these same folks rolled their eyes at the Brock Turner trial.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
But rape by an immigrant or Muslim is somehow worse than rape by an American citizen.

At least that is what some folks in Conservative circles want us to believe.

I have to wonder if these same folks rolled their eyes at the Brock Turner trial.
Yeah, I don't know anyone who feels that way. I don't know where this stuff is coming from, unless it's coming from Europe. There's a lot of that over there. And occasionally, admiration is expressed for the American system, where it's pretty much equal-opportunity-jailing when it comes to rape. Except, again, for the college exemption, the famous sports-figure exemption, and the industry big-wig exemption. And Roman Polanski.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On threads relating to Muslim rape (examples below) there are apologies for these rapes.

See 3 muslim refugee youths rape little girl in idaho.:
Do you consider it being a rape apologist by pointing out that the example in your OP is a hoax?

UPDATED: Story of Syrian refugees raping Idaho girl is wrong, prosecutor says | Idaho Statesman

Quote:
Authorities are denying reports that Syrians gang-raped a child at knife-point in a Twin Falls apartment complex earlier this month, saying the false claims are being spread to incite anti-refugee sentiments.

“There were no Syrians involved, there was no knife involved, there was no gang-rape,” Twin Falls County Prosecutor Grant Loebs said Monday morning.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
They haven't undergone an Industrial Revolution.
Uh - you do know Pakistan has nuclear weapons as well as missiles to deliver them?

I would like you to tell me how you go from caves to deliverable nuclear weapons without an industrial revolution???

Missile are built by this group:
"The National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM) is a civilian controlled scientific and engineering organization in Pakistan, carrying out research and development in many areas including information technology, fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and chemical engineering, with specialties in the design and production of communication systems and aerodynamic vehicles."

Are those technologies pre-industrial?

Certainly you understand that many of the technologies you are using as we speak...right now...are products of Pakistanis (brought to USA though HB-1 visas). Is Silicon Valley able to train cave people in a few months to produce google algorithms and design the interior of Apple Computer chips? Amazing!

Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM

445 posts, read 771,337 times
Quote:
excellent post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates