Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 09:56 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Reality says otherwise. Good luck getting Americans from inner-city Philly to relocate to a small town in Iowa or Nebraska for a slaughterhouse job. There simply aren't enough able bodied adults (locally) willing to do the work in these areas.

My gut feeling is you lack higher education, or at the very least, lack the critical thinking skills required to discuss these issues.
Dont need Americans from inner-city Philly to relocate. There are plenty of Americans in these small towns to do the work as shown by the few links I posted. These are also not slaughterhouse jobs, they are processing and packing jobs. How many large slaughter/processing plants are in Philly?

Why would your gut tell you that or are you just trying to be insulting. I posted one link to a large class action lawsuit involving the discrimination against American citizens in hiring practices in favor of illegal aliens. This actually took place and was won. This is not the only lawsuit but one that the plant in my town was involved in. I also linked a site with actual postings about the plant by actual American employees and past employees of said plant. Both point to a surplus of American citizens working in these plants and applying for positions in these plants as well as showing illegals given preference in hiring. For you to suggest this lacks critical thinking skills says more about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:27 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

So my question what is the market where immigrants are replacing American workers (not talking about companies moving to another country). lol that's another question.
Depends on if we are talking about undocumented (illegal) or legal immigrants.

Illegals remain in Agriculture, slaughterhouses, manual & unskilled labor & construction & domestic services.

18% of foreign born but legal immigrants are small business owners.

36% of software engineers are immigrants as are 27% of physicians.
https://cis.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Pretty hard these days for high school students & college students to find work because of competing with illegals willing to do the jobs for low wages.
No: It's easy for illegals to get jobs because our students wouldn't touch them with YOUR hands:

"The most popular trades among these undecided millennials are business/management, technology/IT, medical, marketing, and media — none of which are hard labor-intensive. In fact, NAHB further questioned these undecided adults and asked them why they wouldn’t consider construction trades. Half of them said they wanted “a less physically-demanding job.” 32 percent said, “construction work is difficult.”

Read more at Study: Young Americans unwilling to work high-paying construction jobs - Red Alert Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
How high would they go? At least high enough that it makes sense for a person to take the job rather than survive on the public dole.
And how high exactly is that? It varies by the area you live. The latest data from Colorado is from 2015 & for my county, the amount of income needed for self-sufficiency (no dole) is:

One adult household? $20,780. A single parent of with one preschooler would need $42,614. A single parent of one preschooler & one school aged child would require $51,699. And a two parent household with one preschooler & one school aged child will need $58,829.
Colorado Center on Law & Policy | Justice and Economic Security for all Coloradans

Wouldn't $100,000 be enough to persuade someone "off the dole"?

"A poll from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) of young Americans ages 18-to-25 shows that almost no millennials want a career in construction — a high-paying industry. 64 percent of these millennials said they wouldn’t even consider working in construction if you paid them $100,000 or more."

Read more at Study: Young Americans unwilling to work high-paying construction jobs - Red Alert Politics

Apparently not, for 64% of native born, young Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You're assuming that there is enough of a pool of Americans wanting do do manual labor that they would run to take those jobs if the pay was raised. That just isn't true - there simply aren't enough people who want to do hard manual labor, no matter how high the wage.
Exactly. From http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-f...-immigration/:

"(Titan Farms) hired 483 U.S. applicants, slightly less than a quarter of what he needed; 109 didn’t show up on the first day. Another 321 of them quit, “the vast majority in the first two days,” Carr testified. Only 31 lasted for the entire peach season."

And it gets worse (same link):

"Brad Goehring, a fourth-generation farmer, is re-engineering his vineyards so they can be harvested entirely by machines. The 52-year-old owns 500 acres of wine grapes in Lodi, near Stockton. He tends another 10,000 or so acres of vineyards that belong to several clients across Northern California. Being the boss used to be fun for Goehring, but his labor problems are wearying. In the last five years, he has advertised in local newspapers and accepted more than a dozen unemployed applicants from the state’s job agency. Even when the average rate on his fields was $20 an hour, the U.S.-born workers lost interest, fast.

“We’ve never had one come back after lunch,” he says."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
They do ALL the construction work, not just "low-skilled construction jobs" (whatever that means). .
And there it is. We don't know the difference between the Skilled Trades & a manual laborer? A Master Welder who may have never graduated high school could easily have a better command of physics & math than most college educated people with a degree.

We've become conditioned to stigmatize "men in denim". It has nothing to do with immigrants or the job market or even personal finance. Young Americans want to be Kobe. Or Beyonce. They want to be "the Boss".

What that "means: is; that in the near future there will be bridges you won't want to drive over. Parking garages you won't want to park in & buildings you won't want to enter.

I'll be honest; when I started looking for sources to cite for this post? I initially skimmed over & out, those links that were discussing the small business owners. The engineers & the doctors. They didn't fit my criteria for who the immigrant was that was taking "our" jobs. Probably because I don't see scrubbing somebody else's toilet or spending 10 hrs a day on a hot-tar roof as "my" work.

Before we start blaming or trying to fix other people (immigrants); we ought to take a look at ourselves. We're a bunch of snobs. The masters of our own disasters.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:51 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
I've been in the building trades since about 1995 the illegals are taking a lot of jobs away in the building trades and doing illegal work for house flippers etc.. They mostly take the laboring jobs or jobs that involve lots of labor like drywall, roofing, carpentry and landscaping. Lots of people paying these illegals cash under the table.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I was, and still am, if I could afford the room for a few tools, a metal worker (cutting, bending, grinding, machining and welding) and a mechanic (marine and construction machinery preferred) but I earned my living at a desk and behind a computer screen because it paid a whole lot better and I do not like to be rushed to get a job out the door.

To answer the OP's question, the illegals are taking the jobs that do not pay enough to be worth the workers' time. The illegals do this because there are no jobs in their home countries that pay anything at all or are already inherited by the families that own them.

Note: Repairing a bent bronze propeller using a torch, hammer and angle grinder was some of the most satisfying work I ever did. Building precision machinery from sketches was another.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Dont need Americans from inner-city Philly to relocate. There are plenty of Americans in these small towns to do the work as shown by the few links I posted. These are also not slaughterhouse jobs, they are processing and packing jobs. How many large slaughter/processing plants are in Philly?

Why would your gut tell you that or are you just trying to be insulting. I posted one link to a large class action lawsuit involving the discrimination against American citizens in hiring practices in favor of illegal aliens. This actually took place and was won. This is not the only lawsuit but one that the plant in my town was involved in. I also linked a site with actual postings about the plant by actual American employees and past employees of said plant. Both point to a surplus of American citizens working in these plants and applying for positions in these plants as well as showing illegals given preference in hiring. For you to suggest this lacks critical thinking skills says more about you.
Your evidence it mostly anecdotal and you insult yourself by posting it as the 'rule'. Better yet, ask someone who is a neutral third party actually hiring for such jobs. They can educate you as to why they aren't being filled. It's ad nauseam to illustrate all of it at this point.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Your evidence it mostly anecdotal and you insult yourself by posting it as the 'rule'. Better yet, ask someone who is a neutral third party actually hiring for such jobs. They can educate you as to why they aren't being filled. It's ad nauseam to illustrate all of it at this point.
Do you even know the meaning of anecdotal. My example is an actual court case, not opinions or hearsay, or events that happened to me or that I witnessed (although I could provide those) as well as actual posts by actual employees. I have actually spoken to persons who hire at the plant in my town, as well as employees of said plant, but that is anecdotal evidence.

Yet you want your unsupported statement to stand as the rule, because you say so. Or even the prepared statement of an "unbiased" spokesperson for the very ones who benefit financially by hiring illegal aliens. Talk about your critical thinking.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
"Undocumented illegals" fill jobs lazy low-skilled Americans never would and despite the rhetoric spewed by clueless conservative politicians, that's the facts Jack. They are filling essential jobs like picking fruits/vegetables (they don't magically pop out of the fields and into supermarkets), performing low skilled construction jobs at $8-$10 an hour versus $15-$20, washing dishes in restaurants at minimum wage, cleaning offices and hotel rooms for $8 an hour and the list goes on. Anyone who states they're stealing American jobs is talking out of their backside, as it's well documented Americans won't work at those wages and if they're not...who will? Critical thought is a fun tool that really needs to utilized much more than it is...

Here are some more facts Jack: In Chicago, I worked in restaurants for 45 years, also lived in a neighborhood that turned Spanish. Yes kitchen help does start out low but they have it all figured out, they want it low. When they arrive there is a network all set up ready and waiting to provide phony stolen SS cards along with information on how to screw the government and get the most for their time. They take the $7 an hour which makes them eligible for all benefits of the poor. They usually have 2,3,4 and 5 children, SO that qualifies them for food, cash, free medical, free dentists and whatever else they can get but the HUGE bonus come to the ones who benefit from the EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT. They really make a killing with that. One I worked with said his was 9 thousand dollars, don't know if that is true but he always bragged about how big and said that was the biggest ever. On top of all this? If they are good workers and most are very good workers, the owners will pay the $7 an hour and money under the table. FACT.

Just to add to this FACT above, living in the neighborhood with many illegals, I became very good friends with a few. That is where I learned about the "Network". My friend's husband was in a violent fight, he is pretty much a vegetable for life and when I went to her with money to help out? She told me he is collecting disability from TWO SS cards, not one, two. Years later, my husband had congestive heart failure. Couldn't work it was impossible, guess what? No disability for him! Had to practically starve for 2 years which is how long it takes for a lawyer to get it for you, then you PAY the lawyer before you finally get what my friend got from day one. Something is NOT right so don't knock Conservatives!.

Last edited by mag32gie; 09-08-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Were you in charge of personnel? You conducted racial profiling on the employees and did drug screening?
Nope, I was just a laborer.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Here are some more facts Jack: In Chicago, I worked in restaurants for 45 years, also lived in a neighborhood that turned Spanish. Yes kitchen help does start out low but they have it all figured out, they want it low. When they arrive there is a network all set up ready and waiting to provide phony stolen SS cards along with information on how to screw the government and get the most for their time. They take the $7 an hour which makes them eligible for all benefits of the poor. They usually have 2,3,4 and 5 children, SO that qualifies them for food, cash, free medical, free dentists and whatever else they can get but the HUGE bonus come to the ones who benefit from the EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT. They really make a killing with that. One I worked with said his was 9 thousand dollars, don't know if that is true but he always bragged about how big and said that was the biggest ever. On top of all this? If they are good workers and most are very good workers, the owners will pay the $7 an hour and money under the table. FACT.

Just to add to this FACT above, living in the neighborhood with many illegals, I became very good friends with a few. That is where I learned about the "Network". My friend's husband was in a violent fight, he is pretty much a vegetable for life and when I went to her with money to help out? She told me he is collecting disability from TWO SS cards, not one, two. Years later, my husband had congestive heart failure. Couldn't work it was impossible, guess what? No disability for him! Had to practically starve for 2 years which is how long it takes for a lawyer to get it for you, then you PAY the lawyer before you finally get what my friend got from day one. Something is NOT right so don't knock Conservatives!.
Let me guess- you are a byproduct of CPS?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:33 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
"Undocumented illegals" fill jobs lazy low-skilled Americans never would and despite the rhetoric spewed by clueless conservative politicians, that's the facts Jack. They are filling essential jobs like picking fruits/vegetables (they don't magically pop out of the fields and into supermarkets), performing low skilled construction jobs at $8-$10 an hour versus $15-$20, washing dishes in restaurants at minimum wage, cleaning offices and hotel rooms for $8 an hour and the list goes on. Anyone who states they're stealing American jobs is talking out of their backside, as it's well documented Americans won't work at those wages and if they're not...who will? Critical thought is a fun tool that really needs to utilized much more than it is...
Tell that to the construction industry that was destroyed by illegals being hired over citizens. It's hard to compete with a worker that is willing to work for far less because they don't pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates