Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 12:27 AM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The businessman's argument: illegals work hard and will work jobs that Americans won't do. Even if illegals were kicked out of the country and wages were raised, Americans still wouldn't do those jobs.

The regular Joe argument: Americans would do the jobs if businesses were willing to pay a fair wage. Businessmen that hire illegals want cheaper employees that are afraid to complain and fight for their fair share.

I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle...like always. Not all Americans would want to do the work that many illegals do, but I do think at the right price, unemployed/underemployed Americans would certainly consider the opportunity. If I was a Central American illegal in TX and made modest (by American standards) cash in a hard labor job, I could take that money home and live an upper-middle class lifestyle with ease. I guarantee if a poor white guy in West Virginia or a poor black guy in Detroit could go to Dubai and make 10 to 20x more money than they could make here doing the same work, they'd jump at the chance. That's the whole point. Many of these guys send money home. What would be "meh" money here is "really dang good" money over there. You can stay here and take care of your family quite well back home. Some decide to stay here while quite a few return home in a much better position than they ever could have achieved otherwise.

The illegals are generally hard working people but they're also VERY intelligent. If working out in the fields was a poor financial decision, they'd never cross the border. For most Americans that have no ties to a 3rd world country where US Dollars stretch like the sun, working for the same wages as an illegal isn't really a sound decision.
It's not just that they'd be working in the fields for the same money the illegals make, It's that they'd have to endure labor practices that are illegal, but that the undocumented workers are forced to put up with. American workers know their rights, and can make a claim for them, whereas people in the country illegally can be exploited and maltreated.

Don't get too carried away with your idea that we're doing them a favor by paying them cr@p, not allowing them bathroom breaks (what "bathrooms"?), and by raping them in the fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 03:42 AM

98 posts, read 95,498 times
I guess for the most part the jobs they "take" would be in the service industry, restaurants, landscaping, construction, and also jobs in agriculture (slaughtering cattle, stablemen). Some of these jobs used to pay pretty good especially for people that don't have a college education or dropped out of high school. Now the wages are ****. If you remove the illegals then the wages would go up some maybe not as high as people would like but they would go up.

The simple fact is no one cares about high school drop outs and convicted felons that compete with illegal immigrants for jobs. They are the most vulnerably but they basically get blamed but shouldn't the government enforce laws and put these businesses in their place to actually try and help Americans and green card holders who are less fortunate? But the fact is no one cares anyone that complains they always hear "you can't compete with an illegal" or " who wants to pick fruit."

Old 09-08-2017, 06:41 AM

36,557 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Well, your first link is about an issue from 7-11 years ago. The second link is people saying that they liked working there overall. Even one saying they liked working at Sam's Club. I'm not sure what your point was with the links.
Yes that lawsuit was some time ago. You think things have gotten better?
And yes the second link show that American do indeed work these jobs. Some seem to believe citizens go straight from HS to college and straight into a 6 figure job. Many, many citizens work these "low paying" jobs that "Americans won't do".

My point was that these processing plants do indeed have a pool of American citizens to hire from despite their claims otherwise.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No, I don't think it's half. That was a poor choice of words on her part.
Yes. Those were her exact words. So dont tell me what she meant by calling 1/2 of Trump voters a basket of deplorables.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The businessman's argument: illegals work hard and will work jobs that Americans won't do. Even if illegals were kicked out of the country and wages were raised, Americans still wouldn't do those jobs.

The regular Joe argument: Americans would do the jobs if businesses were willing to pay a fair wage. Businessmen that hire illegals want cheaper employees that are afraid to complain and fight for their fair share.

I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle...like always. Not all Americans would want to do the work that many illegals do, but I do think at the right price, unemployed/underemployed Americans would certainly consider the opportunity. If I was a Central American illegal in TX and made modest (by American standards) cash in a hard labor job, I could take that money home and live an upper-middle class lifestyle with ease. I guarantee if a poor white guy in West Virginia or a poor black guy in Detroit could go to Dubai and make 10 to 20x more money than they could make here doing the same work, they'd jump at the chance. That's the whole point. Many of these guys send money home. What would be "meh" money here is "really dang good" money over there. You can stay here and take care of your family quite well back home. Some decide to stay here while quite a few return home in a much better position than they ever could have achieved otherwise.

The illegals are generally hard working people but they're also VERY intelligent. If working out in the fields was a poor financial decision, they'd never cross the border. For most Americans that have no ties to a 3rd world country where US Dollars stretch like the sun, working for the same wages as an illegal isn't really a sound decision.

You just described the system in place during the 1940s to 1960s. The BRACERO LAWS made this possible. The big difference now is instead of working here at seasonal jobs and then going home the ILLEGALS of today don't work but collect benefits and never leave.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not just that they'd be working in the fields for the same money the illegals make, It's that they'd have to endure labor practices that are illegal, but that the undocumented workers are forced to put up with. American workers know their rights, and can make a claim for them, whereas people in the country illegally can be exploited and maltreated.

Don't get too carried away with your idea that we're doing them a favor by paying them cr@p, not allowing them bathroom breaks (what "bathrooms"?), and by raping them in the fields.
I wonder if RAPE in the fields is more common than it is on so called "elite" college campuses? Both numbers are probably inflated.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
When I worked for a cleaning company the best workers were the hispanics. The white and black workers they hired called off, no showed, or came in high.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
When I worked for a cleaning company the best workers were the hispanics. The white and black workers they hired called off, no showed, or came in high.
Were you in charge of personnel? You conducted racial profiling on the employees and did drug screening?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:34 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My point was that these processing plants do indeed have a pool of American citizens to hire from despite their claims otherwise.
Reality says otherwise. Good luck getting Americans from inner-city Philly to relocate to a small town in Iowa or Nebraska for a slaughterhouse job. There simply aren't enough able bodied adults (locally) willing to do the work in these areas.

My gut feeling is you lack higher education, or at the very least, lack the critical thinking skills required to discuss these issues.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No, I don't think it's half. That was a poor choice of words on her part.
I don't know what the real number would be, but from my own experiences, half may well have been an underestimate. Whatever the actual numbers, the notion that "he has lifted them up" is simply incontestable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates