Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Ok so what's your point because I'm totally missing the point. Are you saying that illegals commit crimes?? OK yeah, no one is denying that. EVERY segment of the population has it's criminals.

Are you saying that Americans would do these jobs if the illegals were not here??

and if they are no records on illegals committing crimes exactly how do you know? outside of word of mouth from your law enforcement friends. I at least called the police department.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...crimes-n777856

Now of course I know you're going to use the old "fake news" excuse to discount anything I link so don't know what to tell you.

so my question still stands, where are all these jobs supposedly that Americans will
do but are not because an Illegal immigrant is taking them. I'm just reporting from my little corner of the world

I will go back and read what you wrote....
Georgetown, DE. All construction trades (minus electrical) in a new construction booming area of lower Delaware.

I guess landscaping and pressure washing should also be included.

They have a good deal with the local law enforcement, the cops know who they are, pull em over on bogus charges, pay the local court $200 for having no license, and they're back on the road the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 06:30 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Look at the profits those companies like Monsanto make. billions, they can afford to pay there workers.
and those that can't pay their workers a good wage would fail(as they should). And I'm even ok with government subsidies keeping the smaller guys afloat, so they can pay living wages, of wages that reflect the work evolved. I believe the harder the work the higher the pay.
I agree with this too, but the reality is the costs are going to be passed on to us. No one will get anywhere if we give people a $2.00 an hour raise but then raise the costs of everything they buy.

Again I just want to point out, back in the 70's before cheap labor, no one, I mean no one, but wealthy people had landscapers. No one we knew had someone to mow their lawn. The people who did mow your lawn for low wages were kids who were doing it to raise money.

Then 2 things happened, one kids stopped mowing lawns because academics and jobs that looked good on college apps took priority, lawn mowers got much faster and better so you could mow a lawn in a few minutes, and cheap labor became available. The result of that is that now everyone has people to mow their lawn, it is not a luxury for the rich anymore. The result of THAT is that many small American owned businesses grew up to fill the new demand.

If we now tell these people they have to pay $20 an hour plus benefits and sick days and a 401K, then many will go under and landscaping will simply go back to being the domain of the wealthy because the cost of mowing a lawn will triple and those costs will be passed on.

I am not saying it's fine to have laborers who are here illegally to do this work. I am simply pointing out that solutions are not nearly as simple as "just pay more". It's not going to happen without the costs being passed onto us and that has economic ramifications, too.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:46 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
What a crazy world we live in. Society pushes how important college education is and some even want free education for everyone. Of course, this would sound amazing to those young adults about to head off to college to get that degree and know they will be in debt for years to come afterwards but the fact is we don't want everyone to have a college degree. The more people that head off to college, the less people we have to work these low skilled, low paying jobs.

We are our own worst enemy. You have those who want free education for all and state that we have illegals working minimum wage jobs that no one else wants. Ironically, those that want everyone to be equally educated are the reason there would be minimum wage jobs that no one wants. WHy work a minimum wage job if you have a degree? We need to push trade schools as being equally important as college. We need college to remain a privilege. We need people that aren't interested in any of that and have low paying jobs. By making society's skills diverse we now have jobs for everyone. When this happens there would be no reason to have illegals here.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:37 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I used to work in an area that had a larges Brazillian community and some of them were illegal. I knew one guy that had his own painting business and he respected our laws, bought a house, became a US citizen, he was very proud of that and he was happy. When the recession hit he found himself being underbid by his fellow countrymen who were illegal. They could undercut him because they did not have to pay the fees, taxes, insurance and everything else that goes along with running a proper business in Mass.
He eventually lost his house and had to move back to Brazil. His American Dream was dead.

I saw the same thing happen with landscape companies that could not compete with a bunch of guys that would underbid them.
I was neighbors with a guy that had to move away because he was constantly being undercut by the Brazilians who would work for less and bring their "cousins" on board. This guy eventually hung himself.

I'm not saying that Brazilians are bad people but they had different standards for living and working in our community and some of them were illegal. Most of them did work hard but they would send their money back to their families instead of reinvesting it back into America.

It wasn't right.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
These days, Americans need to be more worried about Indians/South Asians who abuse H1B visas coming to the U.S. and taking HIGH PAYING jobs that require YEARS of higher education, as opposed to worrying about illegal Mexicans/Latinos coming here and taking low wage, non-degree requiring jobs like mopping floors and cleaning toilets...

Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
The Great Recession was a kick in the gut to the foreign-born and native-born alike. Many businesses failed. That's part of why it was called a "recession" to begin with.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:00 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant608 View Post
There are also a lot of Mexican women strategically employed in city government HR positions along the California coast. They first force the application process to go online, then systematically delete a large portion of the qualified applicants that are not Hispanic. By the time they are done, the most qualified person for the position is always Hispanic. Imagine that. I encountered this in Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Capitola. It took me awhile before I figured it out. My applications kept disappearing. Months later, another person came to the same conclusion. Made me feel a little better, but such a shame. So even the legalized immigrants will go out of their way to make jobs accessible to those who aren't. That's what scares me. By the time I have grandkids there won't be any jobs.
Are you bilingual? If not, you now have an answer to why they aren't hiring you (in addition to the large chip on your shoulder).

Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Legal residents are deported if they have an arrest record, and this can be for something like public urination. So the legal status of the person is irrelevant. Non citizens will be deported PERIOD! Even if the urination incident was 30 years ago!
I see you did a google search on deportation of legal residents and public urination. Public urination is being changed from a criminal offense to a civl offense so that it cant be used to deport illegal immigrants. Catchy headlines but no one has been deported for peeing outside. Only since Trump has been in office has there be real or imagined fears of deportation.
Yes legal status is relevant because entering this country illegally is illegal.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I used to work in an area that had a larges Brazillian community and some of them were illegal. I knew one guy that had his own painting business and he respected our laws, bought a house, became a US citizen, he was very proud of that and he was happy. When the recession hit he found himself being underbid by his fellow countrymen who were illegal. They could undercut him because they did not have to pay the fees, taxes, insurance and everything else that goes along with running a proper business in Mass.
He eventually lost his house and had to move back to Brazil. His American Dream was dead.

I saw the same thing happen with landscape companies that could not compete with a bunch of guys that would underbid them.
I was neighbors with a guy that had to move away because he was constantly being undercut by the Brazilians who would work for less and bring their "cousins" on board. This guy eventually hung himself.

I'm not saying that Brazilians are bad people but they had different standards for living and working in our community and some of them were illegal. Most of them did work hard but they would send their money back to their families instead of reinvesting it back into America.

It wasn't right.
The issue you describe is not so cut/dry.

The main problem with such a business (like painting) is that the margin is too slim and there are too many people doing it in some areas. Ideally you would need to have two or three simultaneous different types of work to be able to survive long term. It's important to understand that such 'scab' painters existed, regardless of how many so-called Brazilian 'illegals' are in RI or MA.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
These days, Americans need to be more worried about Indians/South Asians who abuse H1B visas coming to the U.S. and taking HIGH PAYING jobs that require YEARS of higher education, as opposed to worrying about illegal Mexicans/Latinos coming here and taking low wage, non-degree requiring jobs like mopping floors and cleaning toilets...
More like now educated high earning Americans need to worry about H1B visa holders taking their jobs as low wage non-degree workers have been worrying about illegal workers taking over theirs for the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates