Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its not quite that simple but you put it very well. There is a segment of our society that are happy with low incomes as long as they don't have to work.
Reduce/restrict benefits for able bodied individuals but we also need to get the wages up for skilled workers. We need to have decent paying jobs available for those who do can and want to work. Those jobs need to pay enough to support an individual or family. I'm not suggesting 25$/hr to wash dishes just reasonable wages for skilled labor.
One issue is that you are conflating the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 04:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my question what is the market where immigrants are replacing American workers (not talking about companies moving to another country). lol that's another question.
Construction. That is an area where Americans and legal immigrants respect but when undocumented workers allow employers to abuse them then it gets difficult. No American or legal immigrant is going to work in a job that requires some skill in at $50/day.

I have seen in NYC how the home improvement business has been taken over by undocumented workers because they are exploitable. They are now beginning to penetrate non union jobs. This means that those workers who cannot get into the union are now being squeezed out by these people. And many of these are legal immigrants, as many union jobs are still "old boy" jobs reserved for a few people and their families and friends.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
No just post a link to the statistics on legal citizen arrest/incarceration and illegal alien arrest/incarceration. Anywhere. There arent any because they dont ask/record legal status.
And maybe you should actually read what I wrote.
Legal residents are deported if they have an arrest record, and this can be for something like public urination. So the legal status of the person is irrelevant. Non citizens will be deported PERIOD! Even if the urination incident was 30 years ago!

Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
.So what changed. All those citizens who worked undesirable carny jobs suddenly become CEO's? Why were there plenty takers for the past 35 years and now a giant shift in the labor force?
What folks don't understand is that as soon as undocumented workers find a way to legalize their status they flee these crappy jobs.

So if the lament is "who is going to do a job that pays little and that is unpleasant" the answer will be only those who have no choice and who must accept abuse as they have no legal standing in this country to do anything about it. So does this mean that we must have an unending slave labor force of illegal immigrants to exploit?

It might surprise many that many immigrants who entered legally and at great cost and sacrifice have limited sympathy for those who not only walked over the border, but whose position allows employers to exploit them. The group most hurt being LEGAL immigrants.

The emphasis should on making it easier for people to LEGALLY migrate. Making it easier for people to LEGALLY adjust their status while remaining in the USA, and also having an ability to work while their application is processed.

Keeping people in a limbo shouldn't be the option. Those under DACA needs to be legalized. Not kept in a permanent situation of uncertainty because it was an executive order and not legislated into law. I suggest that those who support DACA ensure that it is legislated into law and quick bellyaching about Trump.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Americans once took unpleasant jobs. That was a time when welfare was very difficult to get .
That was already taken care of in the 90s when Clinton/Gingrich ended life time welfare dependency.

Some jobs just have to be automated. There will be no incentive to do so if an endless slave labor force of undocumented labor exists.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Still have the blinders on, eh?

Rural TN for 40 yrs? Yes, that's why you have very little perspective. Ask yourself how desirable 'carny' jobs with the lowest pay imaginable and arguably, most disposable employment status, are with anglos vs immigrants who wouldn't make those wages in a million years their home country?
I wonder why you think that immigrants who are legally resident in the USA have lower ambitions and goals than do "Anglos?"

What you advocate is a pool of slaves who can be exploited because their illegal status means that they cannot protest against their conditions.

This is why the USA has such a huge pool of undocumented workers. The employers love it so and fight mightily for the immigration authorities to allow them access by not heavily fining them

When ICE raids a business and finds it full of undocumenteds it seizes them, arrests them and leaves the employer free to hire the next poor of poor souls that he can exploit.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,120,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You clearly have no clue. Do you suppose if suddenly there were no illegal immigrants that those who want blue collar jobs will find them for $15-$20 an hour? It's not happening as many companies would go out of business due to the inability to pay those wages. There is no going back to what it was like before and if you think there is, you truly are clueless.
Look at the profits those companies like Monsanto make. billions, they can afford to pay there workers.
and those that can't pay their workers a good wage would fail(as they should). And I'm even ok with government subsidies keeping the smaller guys afloat, so they can pay living wages, of wages that reflect the work evolved. I believe the harder the work the higher the pay.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Its not quite that simple but you put it very well. There is a segment of our society that are happy with low incomes as long as they don't have to work.
Reduce/restrict benefits for able bodied individuals but we also need to get the wages up for skilled workers. We need to have decent paying jobs available for those who do can and want to work. Those jobs need to pay enough to support an individual or family. I'm not suggesting 25$/hr to wash dishes just reasonable wages for skilled labor.
The market has always done an excellent job of determining reasonable wages along with reasonable prices for everything else. It simply requires that government stay out of it.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I wonder why you think that immigrants who are legally resident in the USA have lower ambitions and goals than do "Anglos?"

What you advocate is a pool of slaves who can be exploited because their illegal status means that they cannot protest against their conditions.

This is why the USA has such a huge pool of undocumented workers. The employers love it so and fight mightily for the immigration authorities to allow them access by not heavily fining them

When ICE raids a business and finds it full of undocumenteds it seizes them, arrests them and leaves the employer free to hire the next poor of poor souls that he can exploit.
You are reading too much into what I wrote. I failed to use the correct term, undocumented.

It's not about ambition or goals, it's that an uneducated El Salvadoran wouldn't make anywhere close to $7/hour back home in any occupation. The risk of being deported/arrested is worth it to them when wages quadruple (or more) for unskilled labor. Obviously this money goes farther back home too.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 AM

27 posts, read 13,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
First of all, they are illegal aliens. They have either broken the law by overstaying a visa or entering without authorization. It is unfair to call them immigrants, which is what we call legal immigrants, those with permission to be here.

Anyone hiring illegals is also breaking the law. Should a business have to break the law to survive, they should not be in business. We subsidize illegal aliens that they underpay by paying their emergency medical care, including birthing their anchor babies, move the whole family into government subsidized housing with just one anchor baby in tow. So, we subsidize the business that hires them with our tax dollars so they can put more profits in their pockets!

I would think if all businesses were allowed to break the law, business owners would all be much more profitable. That is not the way it works. And, those that don't follow the law are able to take home more profits. It doesn't matter which laws they break, it is wrong and gives them an advantage that should not exist.

The market where illegal aliens are replacing American workers:

Unskilled labor: https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...grants?mcubz=1

Blacks: https://cis.org/Illegal-Immigration-...-Black-Workers

Construction: https://www.markupandprofit.com/blog...s-construction and this is what should happen to all that hire illegals: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ks/pr/r...who-worked-him

White collar jobs: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...port/70479062/ and deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Teaching jobs: Denver Public Schools hires immigrant teachers under new policy – The Denver Post and NY moves to allow illegal immigrants to teach in public schools | Fox News

It is time to cut off jobs to help curb illegal immigration: It which cost American taxpayers more than $113 billion per year.

The myth of jobs Americans won't do: https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/jobs-americans-wont-do

Ask yourselves, how many businesses would be more profitable if they didn't follow the laws. I think anyone caught hiring illegal aliens should have their business confiscated and sold to the highest bidder with the proceeds being given to ICE!

And, yes, I have lived in southern AZ and SE KS where illegal aliens are prevalent.

Believe it or not, a restaurant does not provide essential services. Also, if we put a tariff like we used to on incoming goods, it will not give an advantage to the selling of foreign goods. Don't they teach anything in school these days but "English As A Second Language"?
Wow, you are a wealth of information.

When it comes to statistics about employment, the government does a crappy job of reporting accurately. After six months unemployed Americans fall off the radar. When they reappear as underemployed Americans, they are suddenly reported as "new jobs". Consequently unemployment is always much lower than what it actually is and underemployment is never reported at all.

Long before the high tech jobs went to India, companies like HP and Apple were bringing them here with work visas and then making them citizens. Now there's a statistic I'd like to see. I used to live between HP and Apple (their HQ are approximately two miles apart) and was constantly getting rear-ended by Indians learning to drive. They would import them 200 head at a time and they always brought their families because if they got pregnant here, they automatically got citizenship.

So although Indians technically are not "illegal aliens" that's always where my head goes.

There are also a lot of Mexican women strategically employed in city government HR positions along the California coast. They first force the application process to go online, then systematically delete a large portion of the qualified applicants that are not Hispanic. By the time they are done, the most qualified person for the position is always Hispanic. Imagine that. I encountered this in Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Capitola. It took me awhile before I figured it out. My applications kept disappearing. Months later, another person came to the same conclusion. Made me feel a little better, but such a shame. So even the legalized immigrants will go out of their way to make jobs accessible to those who aren't. That's what scares me. By the time I have grandkids there won't be any jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates