Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Please stop with the half truths.
Yes, many illegals work for low wages.
The part you leave out is why they do it.
They do it in order to collect government benefits.
Using their phony SS card they get from the very established Network put in place to teach them exactly how to do it? Their children are eligible for free everything because their paychecks show them to be way below the poverty level and because they have children, the parents are also eligible for free medical/prescriptions and all other welfare. They also get a large Income Tax check each year due to the Earned Income Tax Credit. When you have 4 and 5 children, it is huge.

I get this information from the horses mouth because I lived and worked with them for many years and YES it is true.
Again, more of the same resentment.

If you get rid of that huge chip on your shoulder and look at the bigger economic picture, you won't harp on poor immigrants just trying to feed their families like your great grandparents used to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I got my figures from the PHiladelphia Police department. I'll happily give you the name and number of whom I spoke with and a simple research on the subject will give you study after study showing illegals commit way less crime than citizens (statistically). My point is that using that crime argument as an excuse for building a wall or deporting folks is a stupid one.

Of course 1 murder is 1 too many but stop with the BS that illegals are running around raping, killing and maiming folks and that if we simply stop illegal immigration all our crime will go away. We Americans manage to do that all on our own. Yep we are very proud of being a sanctuary city.

and for the record. Dad was a retired NYC cop, Sister is a retired nyc cop and her husband my brother in law is a nyc cop. My mom was a civil rights attorney. Stories are stories, everybodies got them and rarely are the the whole truth.
No just post a link to the statistics on legal citizen arrest/incarceration and illegal alien arrest/incarceration. Anywhere. There arent any because they dont ask/record legal status.
And maybe you should actually read what I wrote.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Again, more of the same resentment.

If you get rid of that huge chip on your shoulder and look at the bigger economic picture, you won't harp on poor immigrants just trying to feed their families like your great grandparents used to do.
They are not poor immigrants, they are in this country illegally. No one has a problem with legal immigrants. There are poor citizens and poor legal immigrants just trying to feed their families. Our greats come to this country legally.

Do you say the same about our criminals that rob and steal from others, That they are poor and just trying to feed their families? Do we have a chip on our shoulder because we reject crimes and those who commit them at the expense of others.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:29 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No just post a link to the statistics on legal citizen arrest/incarceration and illegal alien arrest/incarceration. Anywhere. There arent any because they dont ask/record legal status.
And maybe you should actually read what I wrote.
Ok so what's your point because I'm totally missing the point. Are you saying that illegals commit crimes?? OK yeah, no one is denying that. EVERY segment of the population has it's criminals.

Are you saying that Americans would do these jobs if the illegals were not here??

and if they are no records on illegals committing crimes exactly how do you know? outside of word of mouth from your law enforcement friends. I at least called the police department.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...crimes-n777856

Now of course I know you're going to use the old "fake news" excuse to discount anything I link so don't know what to tell you.

so my question still stands, where are all these jobs supposedly that Americans will
do but are not because an Illegal immigrant is taking them. I'm just reporting from my little corner of the world

I will go back and read what you wrote....

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Ok so what's your point because I'm totally missing the point. Are you saying that illegals commit crimes?? OK yeah, no one is denying that. EVERY segment of the population has it's criminals.

and if they are no records on illegals committing crimes exactly how do you know? outside of word of mouth from your law enforcement friends. I at least called the police department.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...crimes-n777856

Now of course I know you're going to use the old "fake news" excuse to discount anything I link so don't know what to tell you.

My point was that you can not know only 2 illegals committed crimes in Philly last year. Your link supports what I said about not have this data. From your link: Politifact noted last year that there's no national database of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants or study that tracked the crimes they have committed. "The challenge in finding concrete numbers is due to a shortfall of data," Politifact said.
I know there are no records other than the statement saying so because if you a search the states you wont find any.
I also made the point that when illegals do commit crimes, and I'm not talking major crimes as stated previously, they are very often never punished or held responsible because they are untraceable due to multiple IDs and no permanent residence, therefore when they bond out they disappear. I'm pretty sure I already stated this as just another issue with illegals.

Quote:
Are you saying that Americans would do these jobs if the illegals were not here??
so my question still stands, where are all these jobs supposedly that Americans will
do but are not because an Illegal immigrant is taking them. I'm just reporting from my little corner of the world

I will go back and read what you wrote...
Exactly! There are many jobs Americans will do, are doing, that have been very much taken over by illegals who depress the wages. We arent talking seasonal agricultural work. Jobs like factories (I stated several times the documented lawsuits against Purdue/Tyson), construction jobs, service jobs. who do you think did these jobs prior to the influx of illegals over the last 10 years? So you honestly believe people in rural areas would not want a 40 hour per week job starting at 11.35/hr with insurance benefits and a 401K plan? Have you never know a citizen that was a carpenter, plumber, pipe layer, mason helper, roofer, factory worker, elder care provider, cook, waitress, worked for a cleaning service, at hotels or resorts? Seriously.

The depressed wages along with the increased welfare benefits are opening up more of these minimum wage jobs to illegals because some Americans can do better off financially on welfare than making 7$/hr. Other Americans suck it up an work for wages lower than they made 5-10 years ago.

Illegals can do this because very often (and I'm not saying all live this way) they live several to a rental. (I saw this stereotype long ago (TV/movies) before I had any kind of experience of illegals. Now I find it to be true.) So instead of a family of 4 living on 14/hr in a single family dwelling you have a family or group of 10 with a hh income of anywhere from 35 to 70$/hr. Often there is a anchor child(ren) who will qualify for food stamps, free medical, and housing subsidies (the women will claim they are single mothers, often have an alternate ID so their income isn't detected). After a few years they move to another location to work and continue to send a portion of their income back home to Mexico.
Americans don't live like this, except maybe the travelers.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Speaking of "jobs Americans wont do", just an observation. I have been going to county fairs since I have lived in rural TN some 40 years. Until maybe 5 years ago I never saw a person of Hispanic decent working as a "carny". And then it was a few, a few more, a few more. My grandson went this year. According to him 99% of the carnival workers were Hispanic this year and spoke little to no English.
So what changed. All those citizens who worked undesirable carny jobs suddenly become CEO's? Why were there plenty takers for the past 35 years and now a giant shift in the labor force?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:15 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Speaking of "jobs Americans wont do", just an observation. I have been going to county fairs since I have lived in rural TN some 40 years. Until maybe 5 years ago I never saw a person of Hispanic decent working as a "carny". And then it was a few, a few more, a few more. My grandson went this year. According to him 99% of the carnival workers were Hispanic this year and spoke little to no English.
So what changed. All those citizens who worked undesirable carny jobs suddenly become CEO's? Why were there plenty takers for the past 35 years and now a giant shift in the labor force?
And perhaps more importantly, what are those ex-carnival workers now doing for employment? Or are they collecting unemployment, or have some of them become homeless? This would make a good topic for a study.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Americans once took unpleasant jobs. That was a time when welfare was very difficult to get and disability was only available for the disabled. Shut off welfare, disability payments, food stamps, etc. They'll line up for jobs they would have once rejected. Their disabilities will suddenly vanish as well.

There are many who are happy with very low incomes as long as they don't need to work.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Americans once took unpleasant jobs. That was a time when welfare was very difficult to get and disability was only available for the disabled. Shut off welfare, disability payments, food stamps, etc. They'll line up for jobs they would have once rejected. Their disabilities will suddenly vanish as well.

There are many who are happy with very low incomes as long as they don't need to work.
Its not quite that simple but you put it very well. There is a segment of our society that are happy with low incomes as long as they don't have to work.
Reduce/restrict benefits for able bodied individuals but we also need to get the wages up for skilled workers. We need to have decent paying jobs available for those who do can and want to work. Those jobs need to pay enough to support an individual or family. I'm not suggesting 25$/hr to wash dishes just reasonable wages for skilled labor.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Still have the blinders on, eh?

Rural TN for 40 yrs? Yes, that's why you have very little perspective. Ask yourself how desirable 'carny' jobs with the lowest pay imaginable and arguably, most disposable employment status, are with anglos vs immigrants who wouldn't make those wages in a million years their home country?

If you think the labor force/demographic picture in many areas, even rural, hasn't changed, you are naive at best. Visit the local library and do a little light reading to catch up LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates