Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 01:19 AM

100 posts, read 81,286 times

Advertisements

In CE I posted a story about how a police dept was indicted due to them searching over 900 HS students for drugs without a warrant and nothing was found. What is the deal with this? Now I know that people will talk about all the ways the harder drugs can mess you up, kill you even, and causes issues which I am not denying it's bad for sure, but I swear, police and politicians seem to view drugs as worse than genocide, worse than the holocaust, worse than anything a fusion of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Vlad the Impaler and the entire Kim Il Sung family could ever hope to come even close to creating as pure evil as DRUGS!!!! Like they straight-up get erections when they think about them.

Yes, I understand being against drugs and wanting to limit people getting them, but good lord most cops/politicians seem to have some very sick, sadistic and unhinged obsession with them. Hence, instead of treatment they choose just to throw them in prison for decades. Or if this were another time and these same people were some all-powerful Kings they'd have you drawn and quartered just for smoking a joint. To me, the cops and politicians that are against drugs are FAR more scary than any of the drugs they say they are against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 04:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
The ONLY way to curb the influx of illegal drugs is by decreasing demand. Our society should be putting efforts into treatment and prevention but, that is too complicated. We would be forced to address issues like poverty, racism, inequality, all the uncomfortable issues that keep so many folks from achieving success. So, we choose to view drug dealers as evil and users as the "problem". The reality is for many, dealing drugs is their only option. It's all they know, all their parents ever knew. Until we make an honest effort to create opportunities for all people to succeed, we will have a drug problem. So, we treat it as a crime, rather than what it is - a way to keep people down.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:10 AM

24,473 posts, read 17,215,678 times
The biggest problem we face today when it involves drugs is that Doctors have been over prescribing them and getting people hooked on pain killers and when the prescription runs out the addict then turns to heroine.

I don't think teens should be smoking pot or drinking booze but they do it anyway. Most turn out fine but some become addicted to alcohol and some will seek out a better and bigger high.

Addicts are a drain on our society. They use up resources from the first responders, to the hospital staff, to a bed at a rehab facility.

Prescribed drugs are a huge problem and when you think about it this way, the majority of mass shooters have either been on drugs or worse they stopped taking them and went off the deep end.

Cops are just trying to do their job and if they can reach just one kid to prevent them from becoming an addict and a drain on society then that is a job well done.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
It's odd that Trump hasn't done more than talk about opioids considering that it's his own base that is statistically most impacted by them.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
Drug addiction is a controlling agent. Governments don't want the competition.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:51 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
Police deal with the worst effects of drug use, addiction, sale, gang rivalry, prostitution/pimps, and violence every day. If you had to cope with the worst of society every day with the common denominator being drugs, you'd be adamant too.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:24 AM

534 posts, read 489,036 times
Last night I watched the Netflix documentary "Heroin"; it was fascinating how the particular city (Huntington, WV) was taking an extremely empathetic approach to the drug problem.

It seems that heroin (maybe all opiates?) soothes emotional/psychological distress as well as physical, so the contrast of actual life experience after the bliss of the drug leads people back to the drug repeatedly, it's their path of least resistance to feeling good. The user may start using it for simply physical pain, but the real payoff is in the relief of psychological pain.

Huntington has extensive problems with poverty, but the biggest problem seemed to be that residents struggled to find meaning in their lives...so heroin, with all its inherent problems, was still preferable to the daily meaninglessness they felt. I've never used drugs so this gave me a lot of insight into why someone might choose to experience that way of life.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
And profit. First the police take their money, cars, and anything else easily confiscated, then the prison gets paid for incarceration.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
The police and politicians don't give a flying fork if people take drugs. Just fewer welfare recipients for them to deal with, when they OD and they know most of them will.

It's all about the MONEY! Somebody, somewhere, is making $$$ on selling this stuff, and not paying taxes on it! Some fatcat driving pricey wheels and flashing gold teeth has a big roll in his pocket, and they want it. A lot of folks end up behind bars because they won't talk. Won't tell the cops where they bought it, who from, etc. If they do, they get a reduced sentence, or none at all.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:13 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Police deal with the worst effects of drug use, addiction, sale, gang rivalry, prostitution/pimps, and violence every day. If you had to cope with the worst of society every day with the common denominator being drugs, you'd be adamant too.

This. I saw my share of it working in health care as well. Alcohol and drug abuse bring out the worst in people. My husband is a retired police sergeant and he has stories as well. While altered states may be fun, it's also destructive for those who can't handle what it does to the chemistry in their brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates