Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
[

You may have a point but every time I've asked why kids try drugs it's because they want to feel better, to get high.

So MY point is, what is wrong with them that they feel so awful? Why do they need to be high to feel good? Most people feel okay the way they are without taking drugs. Get to the root of the cause--it would also involve why so many kids are committing suicide. Just WHAT is wrong with our society that kids are so depressed?
There is nothing wrong with them. They have no responsibility that taking drugs will get in the way of. A way too small percentage of parents can successfully get across to their kids that they have a responsibility to ensure their own future by avoiding drugs. So they feel they have little to lose by trying them. Many do try them, don't get caught, and get past their schooling into the working world and realize that continuing to use them is counter-productive and they throttle back or quit entirely.

The others either become burnouts or have gotten caught up in the legal system and their future is permanently screwed up, for no other reason than they broke a stupid law.

The burnouts would have become burnouts, even if they waited until the age of 21 to start taking drugs. If the drugs hadn't been available they would be addicted to alcohol. Many have gone through alcohol treatment programs and have become productive adults. The difference is that the alcoholics usually did not get wrapped up in the judicial system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
There is no "War on Drugs" in this country.
When I see drug dealers hanging from a lamp post on Main Street USA, then I believe it.
When I see drug dealers shot dead in the parking lot of the police department, then I believe it.
Right now, we just have lip service.

Most crimes and deadly accidents where we live are caused by drug addicts high on something.
Legalize it and gets worse.
While it isn't my business what you put in your body, but when my life or property is in danger from an addict then it becomes my business.
Your life or property is in danger because there is no legal way for the addict to get his fix, on the way to getting treated for the addiction, without being marked for life as an addict or criminal(for the crime of using the drug).

Old 11-18-2017, 08:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
There is no "War on Drugs" in this country.
When I see drug dealers hanging from a lamp post on Main Street USA, then I believe it.
When I see drug dealers shot dead in the parking lot of the police department, then I believe it.
Right now, we just have lip service.

Most crimes and deadly accidents where we live are caused by drug addicts high on something.
Legalize it and gets worse.
While it isn't my business what you put in your body, but when my life or property is in danger from an addict then it becomes my business.
No, you have it backwards, legalize everything and those problems go away.

Majority of the problems relating to drug addiction are due to the illegal status of the drugs, drugs are extremely expensive for one reason..RISK, as a product heroin or cocaine is cheap to produce and distribute, its the risk that makes them more valuable than gold.

The goal of US law enforcement is not to stop the drug trade anyway, they could easily do that by going after the cartels, the source(just like they did with terrorism), but they NEED the drug trade in order to justify the continued war on drugs, cant have a war against something if its not a huge problem to begin with.

Think about it, take away drugs and drug related crime in any city, what would police depts be left to deal with? Would it be enough to justify the huge budgets and subsidies they get now? This is why we have US troops guarding the opium fields in Afghanistan, its crucial to the US economy.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
You guys just don't get it.
The moment we legalize drugs the number of users will climb.
As the cost of narcotics goes down the number of users will rise.
The legalization of narcotics will multiply the carnage from drunken driving tenfold.
Once the zombies on the road start killing your family and friends, you too, liberal poster, will ask for the death penalty.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:09 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
The legalization of narcotics will multiply the carnage from drunken driving tenfold.
Once the zombies on the road start killing your family and friends, you too, liberal poster, will ask for the death penalty.
You're not even close. Talk about not getting it...

Answer me this. If all drugs were legalized tomorrow, would you go out and start using them? I didn't think so. Would any of your friends? I know I wouldn't. I know my friends wouldn't. So why in the world do you predict doom and gloom? You're just emotionally reacting to something you've been conditioned to believe is the end of the world instead of thinking calmly and logically.

The biggest part of the equation you are not seeing is that getting drugs is not a problem. The War on Drugs isn't working at all, so drugs are readily available to anyone who wants them. That means the vast majority of drug users in this country are already using them. Legalization does not mean the roads will turn into zombie killing zones.

Legalizing does not mean condoning drug use, it means minimizing the harm caused by it.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:49 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
In CE I posted a story about how a police dept was indicted due to them searching over 900 HS students for drugs without a warrant and nothing was found. What is the deal with this? Now I know that people will talk about all the ways the harder drugs can mess you up, kill you even, and causes issues which I am not denying it's bad for sure, but I swear, police and politicians seem to view drugs as worse than genocide, worse than the holocaust, worse than anything a fusion of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Vlad the Impaler and the entire Kim Il Sung family could ever hope to come even close to creating as pure evil as DRUGS!!!! Like they straight-up get erections when they think about them.

Yes, I understand being against drugs and wanting to limit people getting them, but good lord most cops/politicians seem to have some very sick, sadistic and unhinged obsession with them. Hence, instead of treatment they choose just to throw them in prison for decades. Or if this were another time and these same people were some all-powerful Kings they'd have you drawn and quartered just for smoking a joint. To me, the cops and politicians that are against drugs are FAR more scary than any of the drugs they say they are against.
The cops and paramedics have had the experience of picking up the carnage that is caused as a result of the drug trade. They don't want to see more and more of it.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
The ranks of law enforcement tend to be heavily occupied by reactionaries.

Reactionaries, by their natures, loath drugs. Except, of course, for the drugs that through the centuries of use are thoroughly socialized - alcohol, tobacco, medicines. They're grandfathered in, so to speak. Other drugs are recent developments, either as far as their creation or their emergence from obscurity.

If the Native Americans had introduced pot to the early English explorers, it would be legal and law enforcement would be cool with it. And in the 1950s, your parents would have been subjected to propaganda titled something like TOBACCO MADNESS!.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:45 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
"Answer me this. If all drugs were legalized tomorrow, would you go out and start using them? I didn't think so. Would any of your friends? I know I wouldn't. I know my friends wouldn't. So why in the world do you predict doom and gloom? You're just emotionally reacting to something you've been conditioned to believe is the end of the world instead of thinking calmly and logically."
by Raddo

Just because you and I won't try meth, be it legal or not, doesn't prevent others from trying it.
Suppose the adult population in the USA is 200 million. Suppose one in ten will experiment and gets addicted, then we'll have 20 million MORE zombies on the roads, in the workplace, in the schools.
I'm telling you, drunken drivers and under the influence of narcotics users destroy life in myriad ways. Our life and their own. Once they get addicted all the counseling and praying won't stop them. Homelessness is rising all over the country and most of them are addicts.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:24 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
"Answer me this. If all drugs were legalized tomorrow, would you go out and start using them? I didn't think so. Would any of your friends? I know I wouldn't. I know my friends wouldn't. So why in the world do you predict doom and gloom? You're just emotionally reacting to something you've been conditioned to believe is the end of the world instead of thinking calmly and logically."
by Raddo

Just because you and I won't try meth, be it legal or not, doesn't prevent others from trying it.
Suppose the adult population in the USA is 200 million. Suppose one in ten will experiment and gets addicted, then we'll have 20 million MORE zombies on the roads, in the workplace, in the schools.
I'm telling you, drunken drivers and under the influence of narcotics users destroy life in myriad ways. Our life and their own. Once they get addicted all the counseling and praying won't stop them. Homelessness is rising all over the country and most of them are addicts.
I hate to break this to you, but making drugs illegal obviously does not prevent people from trying them either.

But otherwise I don't disagree with you, at least for hard drugs and alcohol, however I don't agree with your methods.

It is difficult to imagine that you genuinely believe the War on Drugs has been successful. As long as it has had to work, and as much money that has been thrown at the problem, the problem is as bad as ever. Don't you agree?

I doubt you will look into it, but other countries have tried methods other than feeding addicts through the criminal justice system machinery, where they almost always come out in worse condition than when they went in. These other methods have worked well. Portugal, for example, enjoys one of the lowest heroin OD rates in the world (only 3 per 100,000 population). Before they adopted their current system, they had one of the highest.

So what would it take to get a staunch prohibitionist such as yourself to even slightly consider methods other than the current failed one?

Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Do you really think if things were legalized that non users would all of the sudden go use drugs? People who use are already doing so despite the legality. Just because something is legal doesn't mean they run out and do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates