Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't want to be part of any society that wants to make this OK.

I can't see anyone being Ok with pedophilia, but I have noticed that some shows and a few movies are experimenting with incest.
People just a few decades ago were saying the exact same thing about homosexual and interracial relationships...look at how quickly that has changed.

It doesnt take long to manipulate and change public opinion on something like this.

I do not agree with it either, but I admit I can recognize the effort to desensitize. I was surprised to see a couple recent Hollywood movies (comedies) make light of teacher/ student relationships, they were not coming out and saying they agree with it, its more subtle, jokingly depicting a teacher that likes to seduce students, this is classic desensitization in progress.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I would say the force behind it is people who got tired of hiding and getting the crap beat out of them.
Aided by other people, who came around to decide that forcing gays to hide or get the crap beaten out of them was, y'know, wrong.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Do. Some. Research.
Beg pardon, but that is not how debate works.

If you insist on there being a powerful and well-funded agency behind the gay movement, it's on you to provide facts in support. Leaning back and insisting that those who disagree with you haven't studied the subject enough is just shifting the burden of proof.

Show. Your. Evidence.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
QUOTE=Dane_in_LA;49887286]Aided by other people, who came around to decide that forcing gays to hide or get the crap beaten out of them was, y'know, wrong.[/quote]

True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Beg pardon, but that is not how debate works.

If you insist on there being a powerful and well-funded agency behind the gay movement, it's on you to provide facts in support. Leaning back and insisting that those who disagree with you haven't studied the subject enough is just shifting the burden of proof.

Show. Your. Evidence.
Also true.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It is healthy for people to be able to be free about who they are. We are guaranteed the pursuit of happiness. Society has evolved in many ways, not only for gay people, but women, minorities, the mentally ill, etc.

If I understand the OP correctly, he’s not alone in feeling that there is a gay agenda. It’s not enough to just want to live and let live, but it’s that some gay people are not happy unless they are rubbing our noses in it constantly. Be gay, get married, adopt children and be happy, but don’t expect me to bring my grandkids to the gay parade. The gay couples I know would never bring their children to a gay parade either.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Perhaps the OP can return to clarify what the "gay movement" is. Equal civil rights for all, including gay people? Or is the implication that thete is a movement afoot encouraging people to somehow choose to be gay?

The OP is unclear and those are two very different things.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So what are some of the things in your opinion people in 20-30 yrs going to be apologetic for, that is currently still taboo, illegal, etc? What will be the next to go from taboo...to toleration...to acceptance...and finally apologizing for the past?

If history tells us anything, it will have to be something that is currently frowned upon, taboo, illegal, something most tv networks or movies will not yet air in a positive light, something people are hated for...?
I don't know, but paedophilia will never be ok. Why, because it is abusive. Gay or lesbian couples falling in love, and getting married is not. Paedophilia will also never be ok because a child cannot give informed consent. Adult gay and lesbian couples can.

Here are some of the problems with polygamy

Quote:
According to the information I have helped to collect in the Womanstats database, women in polygynous communities get married younger, have more children, have higher rates of HIV infection than men, sustain more domestic violence, succumb to more female genital mutilation and sex trafficking, and are more likely to die in childbirth. Their life expectancy is also shorter than that of their monogamous sisters. In addition, their children, both boys and girls, are less likely to receive both primary and secondary education.
Quote:
Polygynist cultures need to create and sustain an underclass of unmarried and undereducated men, since in order to sustain a system where a few men possess all the women, roughly half of boys must leave the community before adulthood. Such societies also spend more money on weapons and display fewer social and political freedoms than do monogamous ones.

When small numbers of men control large numbers of women, the remaining men are likely to be willing to take greater risks and engage in more violence, possibly including terrorism, in order to increase their own wealth and status in hopes of gaining access to women.
https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-problems-with-polygamy

Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wouldn't call it so much of a movement but actually progress.

We have all sorts of groups that are coming out. How about women? 100 years ago they couldn't vote, decades after that for the most part they were still expected to be housewives and today women are still fighting for equality in many things.

People of all colours and sexual orientation just want to be heard and treated like anyone else.

I have gay friends and what difference does that make? I often wonder that when a guy lashes out and beats up on a gay guy if that bully is actually fighting off his own homosexual feelings?

I think our society is becoming more open, tolerant and acceptable of things that used to be taboo.
Great post (again), thank you CCT.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Americans Greatly Overestimate Percent Gay, Lesbian in U.S. (May 2015)

PRINCETON, N.J. -- The American public estimates on average that 23% of Americans are gay or lesbian, little changed from Americans' 25% estimate in 2011, and only slightly higher than separate 2002 estimates of the gay and lesbian population. These estimates are many times higher than the 3.8% of the adult population who identified themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender in Gallup Daily tracking in the first four months of this year.

Americans Greatly Overestimate Percent Gay, Lesbian in U.S.

Where are Americans getting the absurd and distorted idea that 23% of the population is gay?
How can Americans be so far off the mark -- if 3.8% of population is actually gay, that means that Americans are being told something different from what is happening in real life.

So who is telling these Americans that gays are about 25% of the population?

Old 10-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Paedophilia will also never be ok because a child cannot give informed consent.
Bingo. Nice and easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates