Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I am equally against all other tyrannical regimes. But it is a fact that a fair amount of countries in the Middle East operate under a form of tyrannical government called theocracy. This is where a particular religious sect assumes the reins of power and proceeds to dominate its own citizens. Typical characteristics of a theocracy are no free speech, little freedom of expression, state censorship of the internet and the media, and all manner of tyrannical economic interference, such as controlling oil reserves, etc.
You've practically described China. And to a lesser extent modern Russia.

Why haven't those countries earned your extreme ire?

A theocracy is not the only way this form of government can exist.

Let's be honest. Could this be about our interest? Yes but our interest do not always align with morality. If a human rights violator is our ally then we will look the other way. Point blank.

Self righteous tirades like this makes it harder to take seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
When Israel starts killing apostates and throwing homosexuals off the roofs, they will go on my sh** list also.
Israel is not clean itself. The formation of Israel was the taking of land from people who have lived in homes for generations. People gloss over this as if this is acceptable.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Are you angry that I am identifying reality? The Law of Identity states that a thing is what it is. So, when we see that Iran is arresting and killing protesters and shutting down the Internet to stifle opinion and communication, we are identifying objective and irrefutable evil. It really couldn't be simpler.

So let's just use Iran as an example. Where there this concept of "religious crimes". This is what we are dealing with. This is something to hate, despise, identify, and fight against.

Iran Human Rights Documentation Center - Apostasy in the Islamic Republic of Iran

Actually reading through these documents is nothing short of a horror show.

If supporting Israel fights this, and if we are to have any foreign aid at all, then let's keep those funds rolling in.
It doesn't, Israel isn't fighting Iran. It is fighting Palestine. Us and the UN end up having to fight Jihadist from all over. It would be great if Israel helped in the wider fight but they haven't. You've been making up some stuff in this thread.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm not sure why he thinks paying Israel stops terrorist attacks. Counter-intelligence does.

I'm not sure why it's lost on people that we've been on the Israel side of this conflict for decades.

Because Israel's existence is such anathema to many of the worst theocracies in the region that they basically think of little else beyond its destruction. So it's useful to keep Israel strong and to keep these theocracies tied up figuring out to accomplish something that we will never allow to happen.

It is also useful for a successful free society to be plopped right in the midst of theocratic darkness. The contrast is similar to that we used to see between West Germany and East Germany. And today between the failure of collectivist North Korea and free South Korea. They look on, seething in envy and hatred, until the better people within eventually overthrow. At which point a new possibility of a free society emerges.

We've got to keep that going. And I believe we will.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Let's be honest. Could this be about our interest? Yes but our interest do not always align with morality. If a human rights violator is our ally then we will look the other way. Point blank.
The world is a complex place. Sometimes you have not choice but to work with those you do not like. We supported the Soviet Union against Germany in WWII. That does not mean we liked him.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Because Israel's existence is such anathema to many of the worst theocracies in the region that they basically think of little else beyond its destruction. So it's useful to keep Israel strong and to keep these theocracies tied up figuring out to accomplish something that we will never allow to happen.
You mean things like them flying planes into buildings in major US cities?
Quote:
It is also useful for a successful free society to be plopped right in the midst of theocratic darkness.
I am not sure you know much about the region nor do you know the definition of he word successful. If Israel is so successful why do they need billions of dollars a year from the US?
Quote:
The contrast is similar to that we used to see between West Germany and East Germany. And today between the failure of collectivist North Korea and free South Korea. They look on, seething in envy and hatred, until the better people within eventually overthrow. At which point a new possibility of a free society emerges.
Again I do not think you understand the history of the events you are speaking about here.
Quote:
Maybe we will, but that does not make it right.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:

It is also useful for a successful free society to be plopped right in the midst of theocratic darkness. The contrast is similar to that we used to see between West Germany and East Germany. And today between the failure of collectivist North Korea and free South Korea. They look on, seething in envy and hatred, until the better people within eventually overthrow. At which point a new possibility of a free society emerges.

I'm still waiting for Israel to have that effect on the region because after supporting them for decades, it hasn't happen.

I'm not for or against giving aid to the country but let's not make it more than what it is. It's to help them fight their own holy war with Palestine and keep them in existence.

Last edited by Ro2113; 01-11-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for Israel to have that effect on the region because after supporting them for decades, it hasn't happen.

I'm not for or against giving aid to the country but let's not make it more than what it is. It's to help them fight their own holy war with Palestine and keep them in existence.
Some Holy War. They hire them in droves, and the workers they hire get paid much more than they get paid for the same job in Palestine.

Why Palestinians prefer to work for Israeli employers - PMW Bulletins

So, let's summarize: Holy War in Iraq? Poison gassing your enemy. Holy War in Israel? Hiring your enemy.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Some Holy War. They hire them in droves, and the workers they hire get paid much more than they get paid for the same job in Palestine.

So, let's summarize: Holy War in Iraq? Poison gassing your enemy. Holy War in Israel? Hiring your enemy.
Aside from the fact that this comes from an obviously biased web site. What does this have to do with anything?

Old 01-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/06/04/...upation-abuses https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries...n-territories/ United Nations News Centre - Human rights violations in occupied Palestinian territory cannot be distorted ? UN expert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates