Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They will manage that by utilizing REASON. They will have to throw off the yoke of irrationalism, just like we did, and embrace The Enlightenment. We got rid of our craziness. So, too, must they. When that happens, we can join in brotherhood and love. But not until then. What exists today cannot be accepted or condoned. Iran, and its clones, cannot be accepted or condoned.
We made an enemy with Iran, not the other way around....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
They will manage that by utilizing REASON. They will have to throw off the yoke of irrationalism, just like we did, and embrace The Enlightenment. We got rid of our craziness. So, too, must they. When that happens, we can join in brotherhood and love. But not until then. What exists today cannot be accepted or condoned. Iran, and its clones, cannot be accepted or condoned.
1. No, we toned our irrationalism down. It's still there.

2. Oh yes, I'm sure we'll all be sitting around holding hand and sing Kumbaya.

3. That last sentence...when you are considering the general direction in which this thread is developing...essentially that we should be tough and force changes that we like, it seems as if you and the OP condone us not accepting what is done in other counties and interfering in what those countries do. If that is a principle that is valid, that means that when we had legal slavery, when we put people in concentration camps, when we did forced relocation marches, that other countries should have intervened in what was happening within our country. When you expect others to behave as you do, then it's a principle. Otherwise, it's just a convenience.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
But this is not Israel doing this....this is the Iranian people.
Great. When the Iranian people eject the mullahs and establish a rational secular government, we can break bread. I applaud their efforts today and hope they can succeed in blowing theocracy to smithereens.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. No, we toned our irrationalism down. It's still there.

2. Oh yes, I'm sure we'll all be sitting around holding hand and sing Kumbaya.

3. That last sentence...when you are considering the general direction in which this thread is developing...essentially that we should be tough and force changes that we like, it seems as if you and the OP condone us not accepting what is done in other counties and interfering in what those countries do. If that is a principle that is valid, that means that when we had legal slavery, when we put people in concentration camps, when we did forced relocation marches, that other countries should have intervened in what was happening within our country. When you expect others to behave as you do, then it's a principle. Otherwise, it's just a convenience.

Incorrect. I can accept irrational backward theocracies, as long as they keep to themselves and do not attempt to export the madness and the mayhem. If the mullahs want to continue to enslave the minds and spirit of their people, and their people do not rebel and remove them from power, fine. Stay in the darkness, stay in Hell. But do STAY. Stay away from my country and stay away from my life, which is based on individualism, private property rights, Capitalism, separation of Church and State, and freedom.

By the way, it was Reason, and secularism, that led us to stop our own slavery and traverse the path of progress. And Reason and secularism is the only solution for the Middle East. Until they evolve, they will stay where they are. And that is fine with me, as long as they do not export their madness. No export? Great, kill each other in body and spirit, but stay within your borders and out of the civilized world.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
We made an enemy with Iran, not the other way around....
Wrong, Iran made an enemy of itself, with itself, and to it's own disgrace, destruction, and despair. It's people may finally be waking up to that fact in the past few weeks. Freedom Akbar!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Incorrect. I can accept irrational backward theocracies, as long as they keep to themselves and do not attempt to export the madness and the mayhem. If the mullahs want to continue to enslave the minds and spirit of their people, and their people do not rebel and remove them from power, fine. Stay in the darkness, stay in Hell. But do STAY. Stay away from my country and stay away from my life, which is based on individualism, private property rights, Capitalism, separation of Church and State, and freedom.

By the way, it was Reason, and secularism, that led us to stop our own slavery and traverse the path of progress. And Reason and secularism is the only solution for the Middle East. Until they evolve, they will stay where they are. And that is fine with me, as long as they do not export their madness. No export? Great, kill each other in body and spirit, but stay within your borders and out of the civilized world.
And it only took a quarter of a century and only 450,000 men, women, and children to live and die in slavery before we came to our senses...after one of the bloodiest wars in our history that resulted in nearly a million dead. Aren't we just wonderful!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And it only took a quarter of a century and only 450,000 men, women, and children to live and die in slavery before we came to our senses...after one of the bloodiest wars in our history that resulted in nearly a million dead. Aren't we just wonderful!
Whatever it took, it happened. BIG ENTRENCHED EVIL takes a lot of effort and a lot of cost to dislodge and destroy. The Middle East faces a similar battle. And the Iranian street protests may be the beginning. I'm sure we can agree on hoping that the mullahs are buried in the desert sands as soon as the Iranian people reach the Palace. #FreedomAkbar

Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Wrong, Iran made an enemy of itself, with itself, and to it's own disgrace, destruction, and despair. It's people may finally be waking up to that fact in the past few weeks. Freedom Akbar!
What do you mean? Iran was never our enemy until we interfered in Iran. We helped put the Sha in power and helped him stay in power and when he was ousted he was our guest in the US.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Whatever it took, it happened. BIG ENTRENCHED EVIL takes a lot of effort and a lot of cost to dislodge and destroy. The Middle East faces a similar battle. And the Iranian street protests may be the beginning. I'm sure we can agree on hoping that the mullahs are buried in the desert sands as soon as the Iranian people reach the Palace. #FreedomAkbar
I do not have the hatred you seem to have. I understand that people may have different points of view than I do. If they are concerned about how their countries are run that is a good thing.

But the US did in fact have slavery and in fact is still affected by bigotry and injustice that may in part have roots in that injustice.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? Iran was never our enemy until we interfered in Iran. We helped put the Sha in power and helped him stay in power and when he was ousted he was our guest in the US.
That may be true. It doesn't explain Iran's devolution into theocratic tyranny or its maintenance thereof over the past 10 years. And it doesn't explain the entire region's preoccupation with tyrannical governmental forms and societal structure. That's a choice, and an awful and evil one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates