Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
We would not be worse off. Our support of Israel has garnered us many enemies around the world and fueled Islamic fundamentalists to target us. The September 11th attacks were in part because of our support for Israel. I mean you keep talking about how much it would hurt the US, your threats are meaningless, when we are dealing with a country that has a GDP around that of the Philippines. LOL The US did not even support the creation of Israel, it was a British thing. I assume like many of their decisions around this time to create conflict so they could maintain relevance.
We cannot gear our foreign policy to the whims of psychotics and fanatics. And your contention that the creation of Israel was a "British Thing" is laughable. They abstained froom the U.N. vote creating the 1947 partition. True, the U.S. didn't support Israel until 11 minutes after Ben Gurion announced independence and the name of the State.

But there is nothing wrong with the West supporting Westerners, especially from the group where it helped gas, work todeath or shoot 6,000,000 of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We cannot gear our foreign policy to the whims of psychotics and fanatics. And your contention that the creation of Israel was a "British Thing" is laughable. They abstained froom the U.N. vote creating the 1947 partition. True, the U.S. didn't support Israel until 11 minutes after Ben Gurion announced independence and the name of the State.
"Theresa May has said that Britain is “proud of our pioneering role in the creation of the state of Israel” at a gala dinner in London to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Balfour declaration."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rael-palestine

"British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour submits a declaration of intent to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The British government hoped that the formal declaration would help garner Jewish support for the Allied effort in World War I. The Balfour Declaration was included in the British mandate over Palestine, which was approved by the League of Nations in 1922. Arabs opposed the Balfour Declaration, fearing that the creation of a Jewish homeland would mean the subjugation of Arab Palestinians.After World War I, the Jewish population in Palestine increased dramatically, as did Jewish-Arab violence. Arab resistance and failures to reach a compromise led Britain to delay deciding on the future of Palestine. In the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust, much of the international community took up the Zionist cause, and in 1948 the State of Israel was declared."

Britain supports creation of Jewish homeland - Nov 02, 1917 - HISTORY.com

Quote:
But there is nothing wrong with the West supporting Westerners, especially from the group where it helped gas, work todeath or shoot 6,000,000 of.
WTF? You seem to not know about history. The US did not gas or shoot anyone in the holocaust, it actually did liberate many concentration camps...

[quote=jbgusa;50590793]

Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
We would not be worse off. Our support of Israel has garnered us many enemies around the world and fueled Islamic fundamentalists to target us. The September 11th attacks were in part because of our support for Israel. I mean you keep talking about how much it would hurt the US, your threats are meaningless, when we are dealing with a country that has a GDP around that of the Philippines. LOL The US did not even support the creation of Israel, it was a British thing. I assume like many of their decisions around this time to create conflict so they could maintain relevance.
We would be enemies of this Neanderthal fundamentalism regardless of Israel. It is nonetheless in our interest to support a bulwark state stuck right in the heart of the Middle East that flaunts and displays a Western ethic and orientation. They can't ignore it, it's in their back yard, and the quality and superiority of Western philosophy and societal construction has a chance to seep into and correct the madness, by a process of cultural osmosis. It is in our interest to support that, and Israel is the only country that performs that function.

It is far more important to support Israel than any nearly other country on planet Earth at the moment.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We would be enemies of this Neanderthal fundamentalism regardless of Israel. It is nonetheless in our interest to support a bulwark state stuck right in the heart of the Middle East that flaunts and displays a Western ethic and orientation. They can't ignore it, it's in their back yard, and the quality and superiority of Western philosophy and societal construction has a chance to seep into and correct the madness, by a process of cultural osmosis. It is in our interest to support that, and Israel is the only country that performs that function.

It is far more important to support Israel than any nearly other country on planet Earth at the moment.
A weird comment. Particularly coming from a guy who opposes virtually any domestic action by government and holds what almost anyone would say are extreme libertarian beliefs. You correct me if I am wrong, huh?

Its great when we ship our tax dollars to Israel. Its a crime when we use them to help the poor in our country isn't it? What twisted logic....

Old 01-04-2018, 10:42 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

Really? I thought your point was that we need to put our interests ahead of the interests in the rest of the world. So you are saying that our policies toward people in other nations don't have consequences, and that among the consequences are things like terrorism...which it seems to me is something that we should not be encouraging. And let's not forget that England saw the colonials as fanatics.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A weird comment. Particularly coming from a guy who opposes virtually any domestic action by government and holds what almost anyone would say are extreme libertarian beliefs. You correct me if I am wrong, huh?

Its great when we ship our tax dollars to Israel. Its a crime when we use them to help the poor in our country isn't it? What twisted logic....

Actually I do favor elimination of all foreign aid in the abstract and in an ideal world. But we don't live in that world yet, and WHILE WE HAVE FOREIGN AID, Israel is the best destination for that aid. It serves our interest in a world of Neanderthal primitive mysticism.

As for our poor people, that is an individual problem to be solved by the person facing the lack of income or wealth. Being poor is a choice for the vast majority of those who are poor. Yes, we have the anecdotal crippled blind deaf intersex cancer victim, and we should be happy to help those very few with extreme bad luck. But the majority of people who are broke MAKE BAD DECISIONS THAT LEAVE THEM BROKE. They need to make better decisions, not victimize those around them by taking their money using the state as a proxy thug.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Israel alienates, not "shows them the light". A lot of Middle Eastern news goes something like this "Here you see Israeli Soldiers using US helicopters assault and kill these children."

I mean it has been 50 years? Nothing has changed and I think at least some of that is because we pay them for it happening so they have no reason to make peace.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Israel alienates, not "shows them the light". A lot of Middle Eastern news goes something like this "Here you see Israeli Soldiers using US helicopters assault and kill these children."

I mean it has been 50 years? Nothing has changed and I think at least some of that is because we pay them for it happening so they have no reason to make peace.

BS. One group has a stated specific doctrine and goal of wiping out the other group as an intregral part of their backward religion. That would be the Palestinians. And they try to do that every so often. Which causes what is almost always a measured response. I say measured, because if Israel wanted to, they could wipe out the Palestinians existentially in a matter of hours. What do they do instead? Give them insane amount of aid to basically pay them off.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/israel-...omy-1479293954

Or how about employing them, because they are too dysfunctional to build anything resembling a Western style economy of their own.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/w...ey-oppose.html

If this is not "showing them the light", then there is no such thing as light.

Here's an objective little hint: The side that is NOT EXPLICITLY AND ENTHUSIASTICALLY AND HATEFULLY COMMITTED IN WRITING AND DOCTRINE to destroying the other is the RIGHT SIDE.

And it is in our interest to provide aid to the RIGHT SIDE of this conflict.

And IT WILL, by osmosis, over time, educate those in the darkness.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
"Theresa May has said that Britain is “proud of our pioneering role in the creation of the state of Israel” at a gala dinner in London to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Balfour declaration."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rael-palestine
Theresa May can say a lot of things. That's not what happened.

Quote:
"British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour submits a declaration of intent to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The British government hoped that the formal declaration would help garner Jewish support for the Allied effort in World War I. The Balfour Declaration was included in the British mandate over Palestine, which was approved by the League of Nations in 1922. Arabs opposed the Balfour Declaration, fearing that the creation of a Jewish homeland would mean the subjugation of Arab Palestinians.After World War I, the Jewish population in Palestine increased dramatically, as did Jewish-Arab violence. Arab resistance and failures to reach a compromise led Britain to delay deciding on the future of Palestine. In the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust, much of the international community took up the Zionist cause, and in 1948 the State of Israel was declared."

Britain supports creation of Jewish homeland - Nov 02, 1917 - HISTORY.com
To appease the Arabs they split Transjordan off pretty quickly. They severely restricted Jewish immigration with the White Paper of 1939.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
And IT WILL, by osmosis, over time, educate those in the darkness.
What do you base this on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates