Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly! And one price of leadership, is taking one for the team. It means ceding the best options and the choicest bits for others, who are under your leadership. For the United States, that means occasionally entering - and honoring! - international agreements that are more beneficial for the people of other nations, than for the American people.
The nations of the world are not our "team", the states of America are. And we will decide what is the price. No more "ceding the best options and choicest bits" so that egocentric globalists can nurture their own delusions of grandeur. America First!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Exactly! And one price of leadership, is taking one for the team. It means ceding the best options and the choicest bits for others, who are under your leadership. For the United States, that means occasionally entering - and honoring! - international agreements that are more beneficial for the people of other nations, than for the American people.
How ridiculous.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Has the U.S. had:
  1. Gulags
  2. Cultural Revolutions; or
  3. Purposeless massacres?
Does China or Russia currently have those 3 items listed.

Between events like the trail of tears, slavery and interment camps our hands aren't exactly clean.

Last edited by Ro2113; 01-01-2018 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 08:09 PM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Remember Yitzhak Rabin?
The assassin had no role in choosing his successor. His successor was chosen lawfully by democratic means.

Quote:
So the price of leadership is to loose is to a bunch of savages?

Quote:
Given the way that the current political climate is going, perhaps these things are all only a matter of time.
You have no point to make.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Has the U.S. had:
  1. Gulags
  2. Cultural Revolutions; or
  3. Purposeless massacres?
Yes to # 3

Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The nations of the world are not our "team", the states of America are. And we will decide what is the price. No more "ceding the best options and choicest bits" so that egocentric globalists can nurture their own delusions of grandeur. America First!
"We"?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Probably we should end both. Egypt hates us no matter what we do, and the Israelis can make their own weapons today that are equal to or maybe even superior to American equipment.
LOL, then why do they need US support? I have nothing against Israel but they are not all that AND I think it is time to stop paying them and their neighbors to keep up bad relations. Once the profit dries up we would see how much longer they want to play war for free or out of their own pocket.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
With this current administration we are becoming the bully you claim Russia and China are.
Even though I think the current administrations speech is not good for long term relations I do not think that the actions have come close to those of Russia and China.

I mean I do not even fault Russia for taking Crimea. That is a major port for them and a matter of national security. It would be like the US losing Norfolk, but the US actually has other places it could build a port if needed.

It is many of Russia's other actions that concern me. With China I am not as scared but they are rather heavy handed with their neighbors and the South China sea dispute is highly troubling with them building island bases.

Still long term I think Russia and China fall by the side. China will last longer but I do not think they are a sustainable Super Power.

I am more troubled with the rise of nationalism in the west and where it may lead us. I see the current administration as a result of this not as the cause of this.

I do feel we should work with those that come to us in good faith or where their self interest is clear and not in conflict with the interests of the United States.

I could care less about the majority of the middle east. It seems no matter what we do there we are the bad guy. If I am going to be the bad guy I would feel better about not paying to be the bad guy.

I think Japan and the UK are good allies. I like South Korea but I am not sure of their commitment to the US. They have a lot to lose if war breaks out with North Korea. China is the wild card. We should abandon a stance on North Korea and see how the Chinese like having an unstable, nuclear armed, neighbor.

There was an interesting article that I read about a reunification of North and South Korea. Basically the premise is that it would not be as simple as the reunification as East and West Germany. The current generation of North Koreans are too indoctrinated and do not have the job skills and are poor at even feeding themselves. South Korea does not have the economy in comparison to West Germany to make the transition. The unification would be long and hard on a unified Korea.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:18 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
...I am more troubled with the rise of nationalism in the west and where it may lead us. I see the current administration as a result of this not as the cause of this. ...
Indeed. All nations that withdraw into internal fervor, close their borders, act in narrow self-interest (which is invariably misapprehended), will eventually stagnate, wither and cede leadership to the more outward-looking.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
LOL, then why do they need US support? I have nothing against Israel but they are not all that AND I think it is time to stop paying them and their neighbors to keep up bad relations. Once the profit dries up we would see how much longer they want to play war for free or out of their own pocket.
I actually think the U.S. should stop the aid to both Israel and its neighbors, if only to shut up the voices of those who hate Israel.

Of course the consequences would be significant:

- U.S. defense manufacturers would take an immediate and massive hit from loss of sales.

- The Russians would move in to fill the vacuum left by a craven U.S. withdrawal. Egypt would again become a client state as it was in the Soviet era.

- Israel would develop and use its own military technology which would be at least on a par with our own.

- Israel would market its military tech around the world, further cutting into U.S. sales.

- Israel would feel free to wage war as needed to defend itself and remove potential threats. Iran's nuclear weapons facilities would be the number one target.

So, go ahead, shut down the aid and cooperation treaties and see where it gets you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates