Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 07:17 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times

Advertisements

And we've found more HUGE oil reserves in Texas in the last few years. We have oceans of oil, and natural gas here in the U.S. Enough to last centuries. We need to continue to maximize our domestic production of fossil fuels, and export our coal. More world wide supply of fossil fuels means lower energy costs for everyone. That is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And we've found more HUGE oil reserves in Texas in the last few years. We have oceans of oil, and natural gas here in the U.S. Enough to last centuries. We need to continue to maximize our domestic production of fossil fuels, and export our coal. More world wide supply of fossil fuels means lower energy costs for everyone. That is key.

It's all about the Benjamin's !

Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
When oil sells for $50 to $60 a barrel why do we need to focus on maximizing domestic production?

I agree when its a $100 a barrel, domestic production should be increased.

I would say there is an argument that we should save our oil for now. If we haven't developed alternative energy sources in ten years and oil prices rise again that would be the time to encourage more domestic production of oil.

Right now, I pay about $2.25 a gallon for gas. Gas doesn't need to cost less than that. When it costs less than that it encourages wasteful use of this resource and adds to climate change.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When oil sells for $50 to $60 a barrel why do we need to focus on maximizing domestic production?

I would say there is an argument that we should save our oil for now. If we haven't developed alternative energy sources in ten years and oil prices again that would be the time to encourage more domestic production of oil.

Right now, I pay about $2.25 a gallon for gas. Gas doesn't need to cost less than that. When it costs less than that it encourages wasteful use of this resource and adds to climate change.
I fully agree.

Having abundant oil reserves protects our future, as well as relying more on renewable energy sources. Save our oil for the tough times that could come. Meanwhile, buy relatively cheap from the world market now.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:01 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I would say there is an argument that we should save our oil for now. If we haven't developed alternative energy sources in ten years and oil prices again that would be the time to encourage more domestic production of oil.

You do have a point; gasoline at the pump now costs about the same as it did in 1971, after adjusting for inflation.

But at the same time... there are tremendous benefits to producing more of our own. We become less beholden to foreign powers, and frankly if we just stopped importing any energy from the Middle East, we could pull the 5th Fleet out of there and let them sort out their own problems.

If Europe and east Asia need it, let them spend the trillions to police the Persian Gulf and put their own soldiers in harm's way. We can put the savings into paying down our debts and rebuilding infrastructure. Much better investment.

If the U.S. eventually produces so much cheap energy that we are exporting $1 trillion worth of oil/gas a year, that will be only good for the country. It corrects our balance of trade, makes foreign countries more dependent on us, and gives us massive wealth to develop more businesses and pay our own people more.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
^^^^^^^^Lower energy prices, including lower gasoline prices helps the poor, and middle income earners the most as it is a larger percentage of their total income than the wealthy. Lower energy costs would help these people afford their other necessities of life like food, clothing, healthcare, housing, education etc. So you don't want poor people to be able to get ahead? Hmmmm, sounds pretty cruel and uncaring to me.

Where I am located gasoline is around $3.00/gallon, but part of that is due to the $.58/gallon STATE TAX.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I fully agree.

Having abundant oil reserves protects our future, as well as relying more on renewable energy sources. Save our oil for the tough times that could come. Meanwhile, buy relatively cheap from the world market now.
The reality, too, is that the discovered oil reserves may not be recoverable at $60/bbl but would be at $75 or $80.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:33 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^Lower energy prices, including lower gasoline prices helps the poor, and middle income earners the most as it is a larger percentage of their total income than the wealthy. Lower energy costs would help these people afford their other necessities of life like food, clothing, healthcare, housing, education etc. So you don't want poor people to be able to get ahead? Hmmmm, sounds pretty cruel and uncaring to me.

Where I am located gasoline is around $3.00/gallon, but part of that is due to the $.58/gallon STATE TAX.
Not only that, but energy figures into the cost of everything that's transported -- food, clothing, furniture, etc. Factories and office buildings have lower operating costs. If a store pays less to heat, they can charge less for goods and pay their people more. Huge ripple effect.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
I fail to see how recognizing Jerusalem as Israhell's capital is in my best interests, or in the best interests of ordinary Americans...or anyone. All it serves to do is fan the flames and decrease our image globally.

There was once a time when the rest of the world looked to the US for guidance on everything. The world was stunned by our rapid ascension to the top. We had respect. We had hard power. We had ample soft power (you know, that whole diplomacy thing).

Our country simply cannot engage in responsible diplomacy as long as every politician and unelected bureaucrat bows down to Israel and the AIPAC lobby, all too ready to pucker up for some nice sphincter smooches.

But now the world senses that the old alpha wolf is limp & lame, and while it still barks a lot everyone knows that it's teeth (while still a bit sharp) are rotting and it's organs (that once-amazing middle class and impressive, fair and honest, institutions) are failing it from within.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:50 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The reality, too, is that the discovered oil reserves may not be recoverable at $60/bbl but would be at $75 or $80.
I have a neighbor who (though he lives here in Colorado Springs) works in the fracking industry in North Dakota and wherever that boom and bust cycle industry migrates to. Not a reliable industry for workers at this time. Very price sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates