Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In other words, don't think about solving any problems.

Or, of course, you're free to offer some suggestions to solve the problem.
I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I think the age should be the same. If your old enough to vote, join the military, be considered a legal adult, you can own firearm, you can drink alcohol etc...

Now what that age should be... I don't know. 18, 19 or 20. But be consistent and say "at 18/19/20 you're now an adult". Being an adult means you can be charged in crimes as an adult, you can get tattoos, you can vote, own property, drafted or join the military, own guns, buy alcohol/tobacco/marijuana depending on your state etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
No! If you are old enough to join the military and fight for your country, then you should be guaranteed the right to own a firearm.

And anyway..... you can always buy what you want on the street.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In my state of Mass. in order to buy a rifle a person has to be at least 18<>What do you think? Should it be 21?
The DOT was able to force the issue on the speed limit and the drinking age because of the power of the purse and POTUS executive orders, not due to action of Congress. Neither action involved a relevant Amendment or other Constitutional provision.
What you suggest is the law in many States, especially ones where hunting is not a big deal. In some other States a younger citizen can carry while under the control of an adult in well defined circumstances.
This is a fine example of why laws vary from State to State, especially with regard to the training and safety rules.
Careful, though, you are skirting a conversation about Federal Carry Laws.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:33 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The DOT was able to force the issue on the speed limit and the drinking age because of the power of the purse and POTUS executive orders, not due to action of Congress. Neither action involved a relevant Amendment or other Constitutional provision.
What you suggest is the law in many States, especially ones where hunting is not a big deal. In some other States a younger citizen can carry while under the control of an adult in well defined circumstances.
This is a fine example of why laws vary from State to State, especially with regard to the training and safety rules.
Careful, though, you are skirting a conversation about Federal Carry Laws.

I'm not suggesting that we limit kids that they cannot go hunting or to the range with mom or dad. That is a fine tradition that should not be infringed on but it certainly will be if the Left and the knee jerkers had their way which I fear is coming in 2020 if a Democrat is elected.

I am suggesting that we should consider raising the age where a young adult can walk into a gun shop present the proper ID required for that state, fill out the paper work and walk out with a high powered rifle.
I know that 99% of kids will treat that gun with the respect that it requires and they will operate within the confines of the law but it is the 1% that I am worried about and the habit of the Left lumping the good law abiding citizen in with the dangerous 1%.

Of course if there are guns in the house and hopefully they are secured so a kid cannot get their hands on them who is to say that a bullied kid won't flip out and take one of those guns to school?
We had that very situation where the teen murdered his mom, stole her gun and went on a rampage.

I see raising the age to 21 nationwide a good alternative to what the Left is demanding and that is an outright ban on scary looking black guns that they don't understand.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
I say raise the age of any gun ownership to 21. Rental car companies don't rent to people under the age of 21, why? Because they consider them a bad risk and prone to do something stupid so why do we allow the under 21 crowd to buy guns?
Hmmmm...because those who SELL guns are not accountable for the damage done so why would they want to cut down their customer base?

Old 02-17-2018, 02:57 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I just saw this on Yahoo news. I can't believe that I actually agree with this woman.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-feins...075036864.html

Old 02-17-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Of course if there are guns in the house and hopefully they are secured so a kid cannot get their hands on them who is to say that a bullied kid won't flip out and take one of those guns to school?
We had that very situation where the teen murdered his mom, stole her gun and went on a rampage.

I see raising the age to 21 nationwide a good alternative to what the Left is demanding and that is an outright ban on scary looking black guns that they don't understand.
Many people who own guns start their kids out at 12 or even younger handling guns...."so they are educated". I have no idea that what these people do has anything to do with gun safety or not but I'm pretty sure they won't take kindly to anyone telling them that THEIR kids can't shoot the family's guns - they were all purchased legal, ya know!

Old 02-17-2018, 02:59 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmmm...because those who SELL guns are not accountable for the damage done so why would they want to cut down their customer base?
Should car salesmen be punished if they sell a car to a guy who later kills someone in a DUI?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I thought firearms laws were Federal. I wasn't aware that the background checks and age restrictions were up to the individual states.
OP, have you written to your Senator and Congressional Representative about this issue?
If not, why?
Do you really think you will accomplish anything other than discussion by posting on a forum?
If you want a law passed, there are ways to accomplish it. Posting on this or any other forum is NOT one of the ways!
I got my first guns (a .22 single shot pistol and a .22 bolt action rifle) at age 12. Needless to say, I won't be in line to sign your petition!
That is, IF you are more than an internet warrior, and actually take the time to start a petition. What age will you call for?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I say raise the age of any gun ownership to 21. Rental car companies don't rent to people under the age of 21, why? Because they consider them a bad risk and prone to do something stupid so why do we allow the under 21 crowd to buy guns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Should car salesmen be punished if they sell a car to a guy who later kills someone in a DUI?
Stop jumping to your own conclusions - my point was that what works for car rentals won't work for guns so come up with another plan...and learn how to argue a whole lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates