Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is the age for Voting should also be raised to 21.
What does a kid know about politics at 18 besides what they have been told by their parents or teachers or mass media ?
The voting age was lowered because 18-year-olds were being drafted. That's no longer the case. Maybe it's time to change back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post

You can change the AGE but it wouldn't have affected the majority of the outcomes.

Who say it has to change the majority of outcomes? I am tired of talking in absolutes. If a law prohibiting anyone under 21 from buying an assault rifle is passed and it saves six lives per year than I would say that there is more of a reason to have the law than not to have it.

You can change the LAWS even add new ones however Murder is already Illegal with a very stiff penalty.
You can assign BLAME but that is not a Prevention or Cure.

Again, its not a question of absolutes. Gun laws don't stop all homicides in Europe and Canada, but it is clear that they reduce them. Mild restrictions on firearms such as age limitations, short waiting periods, and criminal background background checks are justifiable if they only reduce gun deaths by a small number

Asking a Criminal Why DO You Rob Banks ?
He Replied Thats Were The Money Is.

But bank robberies are reduced by cameras, security guards, and prosecution of bank robbery in the federal courts.

Traveling through Europe, Israel, Philippines I've seen an armed presence ready to protect their most precious possessions
We have it here in the US but only for the Elite.

We have more police per capita than they have in the European countries. The tough part of town where I work is heavily patrolled by the local police.

Its time to put the protection back into the Hands of the people, especially those who want it and will take responsibility for it.

If you are trying to say that 300 million guns aren't enough and everyone needs to have one, I am afraid I disagree.
*My replies in bold.

I'm not trying to take away your gun. I am saying that some mild restrictions are worth the effort. Even if they don't change the overall picture, they will save some lives. That justifies a small burden or imposition on those attempting to purchase firearms.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:47 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
I saw a Lady looking about the ground under a streetlight.
Stooping, circling, brushing the ground with her hand.

I asked What are you doing ? Can I be of Assistance ?
She said she lost her car keys and without them she couldn't get home.

I asked her where she had last seen her keys?
She said a half mile down the street near her car.

Perplexed I asked Why are you searching way over here under the streetlight ?

She replied, The light is better

You can change the AGE but it wouldn't have affected the majority of the outcomes.
You can change the LAWS even add new ones however Murder is already Illegal with a very stiff penalty.
You can assign BLAME but that is not a Prevention or Cure.

Asking a Criminal Why DO You Rob Banks ?
He Replied Thats Were The Money Is.

In Effective Law Enforcement We Put The Police Were The Crime Is.

Armed guards are in banks, jewelry stores, court and federal buildings.

The Rich send their children to protected private schools.

Concerts, Schools, Movies, Malls, etc are filled with Abundant Soft Targets.
No police, only mall cops (security monitors (paul blarts))

Traveling through Europe, Israel, Philippines I've seen an armed presence ready to protect their most precious possessions
We have it here in the US but only for the Elite.

Its time to put the protection back into the Hands of the people, especially those who want it and will take responsibility for it.

A response so well it deserves a retell....
I would like to see the USA adopt a variation of the Swiss model whereby everyone who serves in military and is psychiatrically cleared keep their firearm...

Rather than AGE being used for things like Driving I'd like to see repeat testing at each license renewal interval. Institute zero tolerance on DUI as another example. ACTUALLY punish the idiots who are not competent and don't know their own limitations or pry / deny themselves a mobile device connection.

I mentioned in a now defunct thread on Mental Health and need for treatment that we could make everyone's life much better by creating EDENs (Emotionally Disabled Environmental Nirvana) for 'individuals' in the population who are not accountable and responsible and are addicted to various things dangerous to the general public by putting them in their own special place for continuing 'Professional' oversight / treatment and for the stupid ones to self medicate themselves into oblivion.

The biggest problem in society in general is absolving people of responsibility and accountability for their actions and behavior. STOP making excuses for them and enabling the growth in entitled idiocy.

Dead Criminals Commit No More Crimes.

And how about the FBI adopt the New England Patriots mantra "DO YOUR JOB"?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
*My replies in bold.

I'm not trying to take away your gun. I am saying that some mild restrictions are worth the effort. Even if they don't change the overall picture, they will save some lives. That justifies a small burden or imposition on those attempting to purchase firearms.
I stopped reading at "assault rifle".

They're already illegal.

Your position doesn't even make sense to me.

If you don't care that this UNCONSTITUTIONAL gun control won't change the "majority of outcomes" then what are you going to suggest about the majority of outcomes. (confiscation, yep)

Since the HUGE amount of deaths are caused by hand guns.

So funny that argument about saving "six lives" is NEVER MADE by Liberals about other issues like abortion.

They won't even support offering/showing a woman a simple ULTRASOUND.

What was that about saving just "six lives" and EDUCATION?

We're up to about 60 millions lives lost on that one.

LOL mild restrictions?

The ONLY thing that didn't happen was a billboard up on I-95 announcing what was about to happen.

The following people outright ignored known danger and enabled this killer:

The MOTHER (first and formost) - EVERY time a neighbor complained about his violence towards them, she denied it.
The SCHOOL
The SCHOOL DISTRICT
The STUDENTS
The local COPS - 39 VISITS? Seriously?
The MENTAL HEALTH people treating him
The DOPES who let him live with them knowing about the guns
The Liberal Google YOUTUBE subsidiary
The FBI - ALL LEVELS from the HQ to the field offices

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-17-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The voting age was lowered because 18-year-olds were being drafted. That's no longer the case. Maybe it's time to change back.
No, because you can still join the military at age 18 and fight for your country...with guns.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Well they're children now until they're 26 according to the past administration, so the voting/drinking/driving ages for them needs to be 26.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:17 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
The biggest problem in society in general is absolving people of responsibility and accountability for their actions and behavior. STOP making excuses for them and enabling the growth in entitled idiocy.

Dead Criminals Commit No More Crimes.

And how about the FBI adopt the New England Patriots mantra "DO YOUR JOB"?
I read a reply like this and I wonder if we are even talking about the same problem.

1. You can talk responsibility until you are blue in the face. Most violent criminals do hard prison time. A few even get the death penalty. Most criminals who commit these violent shootings end up saving the last bullet for themselves. This one appears to be the exception. However, criminals who are ready to die will not be deterred by long prison sentences or even execution.

2. The FBI may have made a mistake here. If they did, its the first situation like this where they appear to have blown it. Also, I'm sorry that narrative fits too conveniently into a certain president's desire to recklessly discredit the head law enforcement agency in this country.

Some restrictions on firearms are in order. The ones that require waiting periods, background checks, and age limitations are reasonable and would do SOME good.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is the age for Voting should also be raised to 21.
What does a kid know about politics at 18 besides what they have been told by their parents or teachers or mass media ?
I am fine raising everything to 21. However if you are under 21 and want booze, cigarettes or a gun there are always ways around that and willing people to help you out.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I read a reply like this and I wonder if we are even talking about the same problem.

1. You can talk responsibility until you are blue in the face. Most violent criminals do hard prison time. A few even get the death penalty. Most criminals who commit these violent shootings end up saving the last bullet for themselves. This one appears to be the exception. However, criminals who are ready to die will not be deterred by long prison sentences or even execution.

2. The FBI may have made a mistake here. If they did, its the first situation like this where they appear to have blown it. Also, I'm sorry that narrative fits too conveniently into a certain president's desire to recklessly discredit the head law enforcement agency in this country.

Some restrictions on firearms are in order. The ones that require waiting periods, background checks, and age limitations are reasonable and would do SOME good.
Totally false.

These are systemic failures from a deteriorated, politicized Obama administration FBI and intelligence agencies. You can't blame President Trump.

A mistake? First time?

They were INFORMED TWICE about this guy. So already it wasn't ONE mistake.

May have made a mistake? They announced on television that they DID.

In part....I may not be a math major with a perfect memory but here are 6 more failures off the top of my head.
  • The New Mexico school shooter just two months ago? They knew about and visited HIM TOO.
  • San Bernardino Massacre: COMEY admitted under questioning that there was no evidence that they interviewed or investigated the wife like they are supposed to. BY THREE AGENCIES.
  • They investigated Mateen for over ten months. Whoops.
  • Boston Marathon bombers? SAME. For TWO YEARS.
  • How far back to you want to go? They failed to act on the Fort Hood shooter, too.
  • Ever hear of shooter, Josiah Samuel Jones? They ignored repeated reports about him, too. A non-famous nobody.

The shooter passed a background check. There's an enhanced one stalled in the FL state assembly by the DEMOCRATS.

I really don't have time to correct your assertions further but I encourage you to research your feelings with facts.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Most of this isn't a direct reply to the above..

This time it was a mistake by the FBI.. Last time it was a mistake by the military.. Before that it was a mistake by state mental health reporting. If I'm not mistaken, the FBI is the one who runs the checks, so.. Technically, you could say ALL the failures have been the fault of the FBI.. But.. That's not fair because most, if not all, times before, they properly ran the check with the info they had.

Unless people would like one of the laws to be someone who negligently fails to add someone to a list being held responsible.. I don't see where more laws is the answer. I certainly think any parent that gives their kids access to guns should be held responsible for what those kids do with them, so, if some shrink fails to report someone..

Reasonable restrictions I wouldn't argue against. A middle ground needs to be reached. Anyone who says "Ban all guns" or "Everything needs to be legal" probably are people who don't need to be in the conversation. Because neither of those sides is coming from a place of reason. It's emotional. Anyone who says the 2nd Amendment is absolute.. Look at the Gun Control Act of 1968.. Are you in favor of that being declared unconstitutional? No restrictions on felons owning a gun whatsoever?

If you think all guns should be banned.. Ok. Let's take them from the cops, too. Because they seem to be killing a whole lot of people for no reason as well.. Of course.. Now, when someone has an illegal gun and you call the cops to protect you.. Wonder how that will end.

I could get behind some changes, such as limiting clip sizes. If you feel the need to have a clip over.. 10-15 rounds. If your self defense involves 'spray and pray'.. Learn to shoot.

Limiting ammo.. Outside of armor piercing rounds.. I don't see a point in this. Hell, seeing as people are getting body armor, perhaps it was not a great idea to get rid of the armor piercing rounds. Though, I still think a .45 slug even into body armor is going to stop someone at least long enough.

As for the age arguments made before.. Listen, if you're 18 and can serve your country, your country should be able to serve you a beer. You should have a voice in the direction your country is going. You should be able to smoke a cigarette if you so choose. I honestly don't support restrictions on anything that is higher than 18 for that reason. You want it higher? Make military age higher.

The car rental analogy is poor because that is a private business, and they can make whatever business decisions they like. I'm talking about laws preventing something when you're 'underage'.

If guns were gone tomorrow.. The problem would remain. It'd just show up in a different way. We'd have people wanting to ban galvanized steel pipe and a 5 day waiting period to buy a pressure cooker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates