Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Federal law bars anyone under 21 from owning or possessing a hand-gun, and also owning or possessing hand-gun ammunition.

The law hasn't deterred criminal youth, who continue to commit murders.

You may pass such a law for the legal age of gun ownership, but it won't deter criminals.
Perfect answer.

Enforce existing firearm's laws NOT make new laws that won't be enforced either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Federal law bars anyone under 21 from owning or possessing a hand-gun, and also owning or possessing hand-gun ammunition.

The law hasn't deterred criminal youth, who continue to commit murders.

You may pass such a law for the legal age of gun ownership, but it won't deter criminals.
I can't rep you again, too early. Great answer

Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default States should be free to set their own age limits for drinking, driving, everything but Presidential election voting

Maybe we should revisit the whole idea of letting the Feds use grant money pressure to force states to set a uniform drinking age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The FBI may have made a mistake here. If they did, its the first situation like this where they appear to have blown it. Also, I'm sorry that narrative fits too conveniently into a certain president's desire to recklessly discredit the head law enforcement agency in this country..
The FBI also dropped the ball on Dylann Roof, and probably should have found Devin P. Kelley's "escape from mental facility" record. There's been a fair amount of suspicion that some of this is intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I thought firearms laws were Federal. I wasn't aware that the background checks and age restrictions were up to the individual states.?
Federal laws are the minimum, states have always been free to impose stricter standards, can set the age limit higher than in Federal law.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 02-17-2018 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
I don't think age restrictions are the issue. The problems in my opinion...
-The legality of any device that can turn a semi-auto into an auto (well doesn't turn them automatic, but they mimic an automatic) and high capacity clips. These should become illegal at a federal level so it's enforced in every state.

-In some states a person can get a semi-auto rifle in less time than it takes to have a meal in a sit down restaurant like Florida.

-Background checks are done in a rush and are not thorough enough. There should be a minimum delay of 3 business days before the completion of a sale and delivery of rifles and shot guns. For semi auto rifles and all handguns it should be a minimum of 5 business days.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:51 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
-The legality of any device that can turn a semi-auto into an auto (well doesn't turn them automatic, but they mimic an automatic) and high capacity clips. These should become illegal at a federal level so it's enforced in every state.

-In some states a person can get a semi-auto rifle in less time than it takes to have a meal in a sit down restaurant like Florida.

-Background checks are done in a rush and are not thorough enough. There should be a minimum delay of 3 business days before the completion of a sale and delivery of rifles and shot guns. For semi auto rifles and all handguns it should be a minimum of 5 business days.
Let's get some clarifications on what you suggest as far as why and the purpose.

The device you refer to is a bump stock. It has only been used once in a mass shooting. Most of the devices that do what bump stocks do are already illegal, at least in Ca.
I've seen people use rubber bands to mimic a bumpstock so I'm not sure what good it would do.

Rather than use the typical anti gun term of "high capacity clips" which is incorrect because we are referring to magazines, not clips, what constitutes a high capacity? When you ask to ban them you will get resistance because you are not specific which leaves that law to be open to interpretation and abuse. 50 rounds? 40 rounds? 20 rounds? 2 rounds?

Now that you mention background checks and waits, why? What do the extra days have to do with anything? You need to justify the extra time. Now if you want something checked on the buyer, say what you want. Don't make a statement like background checks are not thorough enough, say what needs to be checked specifically.
BTW in California you have to wait 10 days to pick up any firearm after you buy it and submit paperwork for the check. Didn't stop the San Bernardino Massacre of 14 killed and 22 injured or the 2014 Isla Vista massacre of 6 people killed and 14 injured-(half were killed not with a gun but with knives)

Pushing for vague new laws with no logic won't change much. Plenty of laws on the books now aren't enforced fully or get countered by rights of individuals privacy etc.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I say raise the age of any gun ownership to 21. Rental car companies don't rent to people under the age of 21, why? Because they consider them a bad risk and prone to do something stupid so why do we allow the under 21 crowd to buy guns?
Pretty sure it's 25 for rental cars.

Edit: looks like it's mostly 21, but with stipulations. 25 may have been the standard in the recent past? It was when I tried to rent one several years ago (I'm 31 now).

Old 02-18-2018, 02:04 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

One other issue in the waiting period, this also presumes that a person does not already have a firearm: You are assuming that the person buying a gun has illegal actions in mind. If they do and already have a gun it is pointless to have them wait, they can use the gun that they already have.

And if they don't have a firearm, and have illegal intentions in mind, then all they need to do is to wait out their waiting period and then commit their illegal action.

For states that already have the instance back ground check, the reason it takes longer than 30 minutes to a hour, is the person looking to buy a firearm, they name is very similar to another persons name, and that other person might have a record. Or like in my best friends Carl's case, Carl had allot of specialized federal level access, and each time they ran his ran, all of his security clearances had to be verified again.

What are you looking for with the Increased time a "Waiting Period if you will"? Is this Waiting Period going to suddenly bring up, OH WAIT we should not sell this person a gun. With the advent of computers the search should be relatively quick, unless you are wanting to add extra steps to this process?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:41 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Yes 21 along with many other changes.

I don't think we should ban guns altogether but we need something to stop all this gun violence. We can start with the Parents, Police, Investigation Bureaus, Congress to do their job. There were multiple signs that something was wrong with this kid and NOTHING was done about it.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Stop jumping to your own conclusions - my point was that what works for car rentals won't work for guns so come up with another plan...and learn how to argue a whole lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It's exactly the same.

You can't hold a manufacturer liable for what someone does with their product after it was legally sold.

Maybe you can work on your knowledge of guns, gun laws and legal regulations.
Ahhhh, no shyte - and not what I said. A car rental company didn't MANUFACTURE the car...they are leasing it. So that is COMPLETELY different since they can make you sign a contract making you responsible for damaging the car.

Now, maybe you can think about the difference between making something and renting it. You wanna rent out guns? Then maybe you can make a rental car-like contract work for ya. Otherwise, toddle off and figure something else out.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is the age for Voting should also be raised to 21.
What does a kid know about politics at 18 besides what they have been told by their parents or teachers or mass media ?
Well, it is two things to this.

The first is, if one is old enough to die for their country, then they ought to have a say in how the country is operated.

Secondly, of course, the voting age is part of the Constitution; there fore to change the voting age, one has to change the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates