Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just saw this on Yahoo news. I can't believe that I actually agree with this woman.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-feins...075036864.html
As usual, I do not agree with her, nor with the writer of the article.
First and foremost, the AR-15 is NOT a civilian version of a military rifle. It was built by Armalite (thus the AR) as a civilian rifle, then it was accepted by the Army and later modified for select fire. The original M-16 was semi-automatic only. I know, I was issued one. It was a horrible piece of junk. We called it the "Mattel toy".
Only the select fire version is considered an "assault rifle", and it is not legal to sell them to civilians. Nor is it legal to sell the parts to convert an AR-15 to select fire.
Now then, as to raising the age limit: I can accept that ONLY if the age for everything else is raised to 21: Voting, Draft registration, enlistment in the military, marriage, copulation, buying tobacco, buying alcohol, ETC. Either one is an adult for ALL purposes, or one is not an adult for any purpose. The way things are now, at age 18 one is partially an adult, and at age 21 almost a full adult, is simply stupid. If an 18 year old is not mature enough to buy any legal gun, (s)he isn't mature enough to vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
The overwhelming majority of the mass shooters have been way older than 21, so what difference would that make? I don't think it would make any difference and I don't support it. And put it this way, at age 18-20 you go to adult prison for crimes and receive an adult sentence, so why should you be restricted from anything at that age (besides some rare exceptions like holding public office). If you think a 19 year old shouldn't be able to buy a rifle, does that mean that they should get a slap on the wrist when they kill someone like a 15 year old would?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just saw this on Yahoo news. I can't believe that I actually agree with this woman.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-feins...075036864.html
I'm a liberal and I hate this idea and despise her. Such a dumb idea, the percentage of legal 18-20 year old gun owners who do this is EXTREMELY small. The Vegas shooter was WAY over 21, the Sutherland Springs shooter was over 21, the Pulse shooter was over 21, the San Bernardino shooter was over 21, Elliot Rodger was over 21, Dyllan Roof was over 21, etc. Punishing all 18-20 year olds over this one incident (when he could have easily been 2 years older and done something similar) is ridiculous

Old 02-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
First and foremost, the AR-15 is NOT a civilian version of a military rifle. It was built by Armalite (thus the AR) as a civilian rifle, then it was accepted by the Army and later modified for select fire. The original M-16 was semi-automatic only. I know, I was issued one. It was a horrible piece of junk. We called it the "Mattel toy".
Only the select fire version is considered an "assault rifle", and it is not legal to sell them to civilians. Nor is it legal to sell the parts to convert an AR-15 to select fire.
Now then, as to raising the age limit: I can accept that ONLY if the age for everything else is raised to 21: Voting, Draft registration, enlistment in the military, marriage, copulation, buying tobacco, buying alcohol, ETC. Either one is an adult for ALL purposes, or one is not an adult for any purpose. The way things are now, at age 18 one is partially an adult, and at age 21 almost a full adult, is simply stupid. If an 18 year old is not mature enough to buy any legal gun, (s)he isn't mature enough to vote!
For those who support the idea of raising anything to 21, do they also support releasing 20 year old murderers from prison after a just a few years as if they were a minor?

Old 02-17-2018, 04:03 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Stop jumping to your own conclusions - my point was that what works for car rentals won't work for guns so come up with another plan...and learn how to argue a whole lot better.
It's exactly the same.

You can't hold a manufacturer liable for what someone does with their product after it was legally sold.

Maybe you can work on your knowledge of guns, gun laws and legal regulations.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:05 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm a liberal and I hate this idea and despise her. Such a dumb idea, the percentage of legal 18-20 year old gun owners who do this is EXTREMELY small. The Vegas shooter was WAY over 21, the Sutherland Springs shooter was over 21, the Pulse shooter was over 21, the San Bernardino shooter was over 21, Elliot Rodger was over 21, Dyllan Roof was over 21, etc. Punishing all 18-20 year olds over this one incident (when he could have easily been 2 years older and done something similar) is ridiculous
I am a strongly libertarian/conservative leaning person but could gladly have a discussion with you. You seem very reasonable and using information to base decisions from not emotion.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
For those who support the idea of raising anything to 21, do they also support releasing 20 year old murderers from prison after a just a few years as if they were a minor?
Given the "zero tolerance" all or nothing mentality that seems to be prevalent today, Yes. After all, they ARE (legally) minors!

Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven

Quote:
Checkmate, OP.

But do me a favor and get rid of that stupid law claiming 26 year olds are "children" who need to stay on their parent's insurance policy.

I feel you don't even follow these killers' stories.

You REALIZE the guy who killed those Sandy Hook kids killed his own mother and used HER GUNS, right? Guns which the IDIOT MOTHER taught him to use and gave him access to, full well knowing he was mental.

Here's a better law:

Any moron in any branch of law enforcement who ignores a credible threat later played out, is FIRED and guilty of some [crime]

Here's a better law:

Any MORON family member who KNOWS they have a dangerous criminal mental case in the family with access to or a predilection to guns, and fails to report it and ENABLES them: goes to jail if the dangerous criminal hurts anyone.

Here's a better law:

Any MORON mental health or social worker or doctor who KNOWS they have a dangerous criminal mental case in their care, with access to or a predilection to guns, and fails to report it and ENABLES them: goes to jail if the dangerous criminal hurts anyone.

That list may avoid you thinking it's perfectly okay to limit our LIBERTIES just because OTHER PEOPLE are corrupt, incompetent and morons.

In almost all if not all of the mass murder cases in the public eye lately, some or all of the above happened. I stopped following the Vegas story because the brother turned out to be a liar. So who knows.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:12 PM

204 posts, read 181,589 times
I saw a Lady looking about the ground under a streetlight.
Stooping, circling, brushing the ground with her hand.

I asked What are you doing ? Can I be of Assistance ?
She said she lost her car keys and without them she couldn't get home.

I asked her where she had last seen her keys?
She said a half mile down the street near her car.

Perplexed I asked Why are you searching way over here under the streetlight ?

She replied, The light is better

You can change the AGE but it wouldn't have affected the majority of the outcomes.
You can change the LAWS even add new ones however Murder is already Illegal with a very stiff penalty.
You can assign BLAME but that is not a Prevention or Cure.

Asking a Criminal Why DO You Rob Banks ?
He Replied Thats Were The Money Is.

In Effective Law Enforcement We Put The Police Were The Crime Is.

Armed guards are in banks, jewelry stores, court and federal buildings.

The Rich send their children to protected private schools.

Concerts, Schools, Movies, Malls, etc are filled with Abundant Soft Targets.
No police, only mall cops (security monitors (paul blarts))

Traveling through Europe, Israel, Philippines I've seen an armed presence ready to protect their most precious possessions
We have it here in the US but only for the Elite.

Its time to put the protection back into the Hands of the people, especially those who want it and will take responsibility for it.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I agree there is a significant "gap" in being consistent in what we determine the ages of consent/responsibility are.

Driving. 16
Join the military 17
Voting 18
Tobacco 18
Long guns 18
Handguns 21
Alcohol 21

This doesn't make sense. It's very inconsistent.
Driving at 16 - with parents' permission.
Joining the military at 17 - with parents' permission.

That narrows your "significant gap" significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates