Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

Remember the University of Texas "Tower Shooter" (August first, 1966)?
He killed his mother and his wife by stabbing, then took guns to the top of the tower at the University and began shooting. He killed about 16 people and wounded about 30 over the next 96 minutes.
What rifle did he use? An AR-15? No, he used a Remington Model 700 bolt-action rifle with a 3 round internal magazine! Oh, yes, he had other weapons with him, but apparently the Remington was his primary weapon.
What "common sense" law would have prevented this tragedy?
Better reporting of mental health issues, so they would show up on a background check?
Maybe.
A ban on knives over 3 inches long?
Maybe.
A ban on "assault rifles"?
No.
A waiting period for gun purchases?
No.

Think about it...

Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
"If you sell it to someone off the classifieds, you're liable if they do something criminal with it."

Are you willing to have the same regulation about selling a used car? If somebody buys your car, and use it as the getaway car in a bank robbery, should you be charged as "An accessory before the fact"?
How about a motorcycle? If some kid buys your bike, then kills himself in a 100 MPH crash, should his family be able to charge you with his death?
Sorry, no, I can't go along with that. Once I sell something, be it gun, knife, fishing pole, golf club, croquet mallet, ball peen hammer, baseball bat, whatever; once it leaves my hands, and the buyer walks (or drives) away with it, it is no longer my responsibility, PERIOD!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Fewer guns means fewer gun deaths. It is not very complicated.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Fewer guns means fewer gun deaths. That does not mean fewer deaths.
"The crazy you have with you always" Matt 26:11

Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
That's a bit of an oversimplification, don't you think? I know people who collect antique and unusual firearms, some of whom have hundreds of pieces in their collections, all kept under lock and key. If all of these people destroyed all of their guns there would be fewer guns in the world by several thousand.

But do you really think this would prevent even one gun death?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Why would the police need guns if none of the citizens had any ?
And if you take their guns away, a lot of them would quit.
Because Criminals still would have them...
Even in societies (like the UK) where there are precious few weapons in the hands of the citizenry, the police still have weapons. They don't carry them on patrol all the time like ours do, though they may in a few dangerous neighborhoods, but they do have them.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Although unlikely, what if Congress ratified the second amendment with a total gun ban for civilians. Would it be like the prohibition era where citizen just hid their guns and sold them illegally?

Would there be a massive civil disruption?

Would Senators complain that the economy in their respective states has suffered an irreparable blow due to the lost tourism that depended on hunting? Similarly, all the industries that depend on guns would join the complaints: sporting goods stores, local places that host gun shows, gun and ammo stores, manufacturers, etc?

Would the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) be sued by the government to force it to surrender its database? Would its members be targeted to make them relinquish their weapons?

Would crime rates go down?

Would the government also ratify the 4th Amendment right against search and seizure without a warrant based on probable cause of a specific crime and the 5th Amendment right to due process of law and just compensation for property taken by the government?

I'm just curious I know a very small minority is talking about a total gun ban but I was wondering what you all thought the outcome would be?

Criminals are already doing that.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
The AR-15 and similar models should be out-lawed. I realize there are probably a million of these unnecessary guns in the US, but a law could prevent any more from being manufactured and sold. Really, anyone who has one of these AR-15's is just a guy short on testosterone and trying to make up for it.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That's a bit of an oversimplification, don't you think? I know people who collect antique and unusual firearms, some of whom have hundreds of pieces in their collections, all kept under lock and key. If all of these people destroyed all of their guns there would be fewer guns in the world by several thousand.

But do you really think this would prevent even one gun death?
Ha!! Oh, the good excuse--antique guns. What a joke. Those are not the problem and you know it.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
If all guns were banned, granny would be at the mercy of people who don't care about laws. The only people this would help are the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates