Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Yeah and let's get rid of prescriptions too, after all abusing opiates is already against the law.
Funny you should mention that, back when they cracked down on prescription opioid drugs, overdose and drug related deaths skyrocketed...thanks to all the addicts switching to heroin, so yes, those laws did more damage than good.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 PM

445 posts, read 770,428 times
The thing that people just dont get is that gun ownership is an ENUMERATED RIGHT that has been upheld as an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT by the Supreme Court.

I personally am ok with required training classes to own guns. But I still support Joe citizen's right to own an AR-15

Old 02-27-2018, 12:37 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
As it is here in Massachusetts, I can take a Saturday gun safety class where I finish by firing a six shot clip...
I have to question the quality of that class. In the very first sentence of your post, you called that device that holds the rounds a "clip". There is a difference between a 'clip' and a 'magazine'?

I wish the participants in this national debate would use correct terminology. Such as calling certain rifles an "assault weapon", when they do not meet the definition of one..

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Nukes have controlled substances within that must be regulated. They are more than just arms.
Controlled substances are just things on lists. We can make new lists and ban ammunition.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:23 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Controlled substances are just things on lists. We can make new lists and ban ammunition.
Which is another way to ban firearms.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I have to question the quality of that class. In the very first sentence of your post, you called that device that holds the rounds a "clip". There is a difference between a 'clip' and a 'magazine'?

I wish the participants in this national debate would use correct terminology. Such as calling certain rifles an "assault weapon", when they do not meet the definition of one..
Again with the semantics... (I believe I used both terms and later, admitted to not using the correct terminology.)
Further, if you read the whole thread you would have also seen my point that none of the trivia matters, it's about lessening mass murders.

As far as being a far left liberal, I am. I have no problem with social issues, gay, trans etc.
I also believe in the 2nd amendment (I know fox news tells you that's not possible, all libruls ar ethe same to them).
I know people who didn't like Hillary OR Donald but chose him because his stance on firearms. I believe if there had been a rational deal made on gun safety many voters would have been comfortable staying democrat.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:41 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post

Completing the class gets you the right to a .22 long rifle or pistol.
The .22 caliber has killed more people and animals that any other caliber made.

Just because its small don't under estimate it's killing power.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
The kid was a weird fu-k who was pretty likely to do something like this. He was

Adopted at birth, likely from junkie parents.
His adoptive parents were decent thankfully but, they both died.
His girlfriend dumped him for another dude, no teenager reacts well to this.
He was on "mdications", so were many other school shooters now that I check.
Police were sent to his house, because of him, over 30 times.
His school expelled him.
He was referred to the FBI.
The "friends" that took him in were just gaming for part of his inheritance money.
The cop who was supposed to be the rightful owner of a gun in this scenario punked out, bad!

...but sure let's blame the guns first, instead of the cascade of failure on the prt of literally everyone else.

Now, I actually agree that guns should be much harder to purchase. That weird kid should never have been allowed to own a ballistic device of any kind. I have met dudes personally that shouldn't be trusted with a slingshot. However, this incident in Florida totally negates any validity to the idea that "only law enforcement should have guns", he punked out!

Who am I to say that right? Well, I was in the Army for 7 years, and actually have been in a firefight (Bagram, Afghanistan, 2010). Not the most hectic, an Apache did most of the work. Many Soldiers have done harder stuff, far more often. ...well that probably is not a relevant point.

Also, we are arguing about tighter gun controls or, tighter mental health regulations... why not both? Still, the greater fault by far lies with people not doing their jobs.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So YOUR theory is that mass murderers weren't properly trained???

People at ranges don't need to "vet "a murderer who EVERYONE IN THEIR FAMILY, MENTAL HEALTH ORG, SCHOOLS, POLICE AND FBI already knows about.

I think you left a lot out.

And throwing in the word "carry"? I think you're blending in alot of concepts especially since Mass law is so complicated and vague at the same time.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat...massachusetts/
Most firearm-related death is not from mass murderers. Far more common is the inner city violence scenario, and the accidental death that goes along with it from stray bullets.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:55 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Many of the misconceptions in all these discussions are related to terminology. The firepower of the dreaded black ugly military looking gun is exaggerated in the public mind by calling it an assault weapon.
One defender of the 2nd insists the gun is overrated because it is just a ".22 caliber" Notice please the decimal they put in front of the "22 caliber". That would be a really tiny bullet, eh?
I'm having a discussion there about the difference between bore and chamber.
Congress appears ready to restore the 1994 law which described certain weapons. They are going to be very upset when the find they plan to outlaw 97% of the guns in public hands.
"Who will disagree with that idea?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates