Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's the neo-feminist dichotomy.

Women are strong, capable, smart, fearless, don't need no help ... until they are weak, helpless, and need saving because they are victims.

It's a very disturbing paradigm. And is used to advantage in the legal system. Every woman using the legal system is a weak, hapless, victim.
So are most men. Prisons are full of guys who will tell you they’re innocent and they’re just victims of whatever force was out to get them. That it works better for women is something you need to take up with the criminal justice system not with women who sometimes get lighter sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:39 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:

Women are strong, capable, smart, fearless, don't need no help ... until they are weak, helpless, and need saving because they are victims.

It's a very disturbing paradigm. And is used to advantage in the legal system. Every woman using the legal system is a weak, hapless, victim.
AnyONE using the legal system is painted by their defense attorney as a weak, hapless, victim. THAT's what lawyers DO in general. I'm a victim of my parents, food additives, chemicals at work, twinkies, whatever. That's not specific to women - any excuse that a jury will buy is what they use. And if juries "bite" better at certain excuses for women that's what is used. And other excuses work for men...etc. Not the fault of the defendent - as I said earlier - it's the juries and judges that make the decisions and set the sentences - you're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:49 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
No, I think you should acknowledge your privilege and use it to benefit those who are marginalized. I'm being about 20% snarky but 80% serious.
Having men (officers, attorneys, judges, etc.) with the perception that women are week, delicate and in need of protection is not a privilege. If men feel they are being marginalized it is on them to do something about it. Why is it men, especially, feel its up to women to right any bias or infraction against men. Aren't men suppose to be the strong ones, the ones in power?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post
There's certainly a lot of women who claim this as their defense when charged with crimes. It's quite funny how women want to be seen as strong, capable, empowered, and equal to men, until they're charged with a crime. Then suddenly they claim to be helpless little girls with no agency of their own.
Its not the women who claim anything, its the judges, officers, attorneys, and jury who appear to claim women are helpless little girls with no agency of their own. That is where the bias lies, according to the studies.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Did you read your own post and the linked studies? No. Missed the part on why women are often given lighter sentences I guess. Or you are just choosing to ignore it.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:03 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Should women be held to the same standard as men in the criminal justice system?

Bonnie and Clyde were held to the same standard.

Ma Barker and son were held to the same standard.

Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were held to the same standard.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
AnyONE using the legal system is painted by their defense attorney as a weak, hapless, victim. THAT's what lawyers DO in general. I'm a victim of my parents, food additives, chemicals at work, twinkies, whatever. That's not specific to women - any excuse that a jury will buy is what they use. And if juries "bite" better at certain excuses for women that's what is used. And other excuses work for men...etc. Not the fault of the defendent - as I said earlier - it's the juries and judges that make the decisions and set the sentences - you're barking up the wrong tree.
I'm not blaming the women. Of course anyone faced with sentencing wants a lighter sentence. That's common sense.

But the responses here are very telling.

Apparently it's OK be treated differently than men when it benefits the women. /shrug/

At least people are being honest about their personal biases. Same crime, lighter sentence for women is A-OK according to most posters.

There is no tree to *bark up.* There are only facts. Fact: Women get lighter sentences for the same crimes. Fact: Most posters think that's fair.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its not the women who claim anything, its the judges, officers, attorneys, and jury who appear to claim women are helpless little girls with no agency of their own. That is where the bias lies, according to the studies.
Yes. And people think that's perfectly fine.

What if a corporate board used the same logic? That candidate is "helpless little girl" and so they don't hire her.

What would happen then? Would that be considered just peachy? Or would there be rabid, foaming-mouthed feminists screeching for a lawsuit?

If it benefits women, it's fine. If it doesn't, it's discrimination.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Yes. And people think that's perfectly fine.

What if a corporate board used the same logic? That candidate is "helpless little girl" and so they don't hire her.

What would happen then? Would that be considered just peachy? Or would there be rabid, foaming-mouthed feminists screeching for a lawsuit?

If it benefits women, it's fine. If it doesn't, it's discrimination.
I don't see too many men fighting to get rid of their male privilege or ethnic privilege. VERY few people will work against their own best interests - that's a HUMAN trait. People will take any advantage they can get.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't see too many men fighting to get rid of their male privilege or ethnic privilege. VERY few people will work against their own best interests - that's a HUMAN trait. People will take any advantage they can get.
So you believe that men and women are treated differently, both use it to their advantage and that's perfectly OK?

Or is it only wrong when men do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates