Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times

Advertisements

I agree. I'm 30 years old, and my mom worked really hard to instill morals and values in me. Almost to the point of making me "too soft." I was raised with the downright fear of God in me about doing just about anything wrong. A little mischief or something was one thing, but I was taught at a very young age that things like stealing, lying, etc. are VERY bad, like so horrifyingly bad that you should never, ever even THINK about doing it.

And I turned out that way. So did my brother. In fact, my brother is the most honest human being I have ever met in my life. To a fault, really, but it's NOT a fault.

I guess I thought everyone was raised this way. When we were growing up, my parents left money on the counter (sometimes change, sometimes hundreds of dollars), and it never crossed our minds to even touch it. Stuff like that.

I eventually met others in life who can't be trusted to watch a $1 bill, and it was all a huge shock to me. And when people steal, they say "I didn't do it!" adamantly, and if there isn't footage to prove it, then....what? I guess they "didn't do it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're correct...sort of.

As a Buddhist, we are taught that it is important to wisely choose those you associate with.

The problem is that all too many people choose whom they associate with based on skin color or country origin. I have personally seen white Americans who will turn their back on a fine upstanding Black or Latino person, or person from another country, and then choose to associate with low life scum...who happen to also be white.
And that is disgusting.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree. But unfortunately, it starts at the top. The POTUS receives no negative consequences for his actions, even for those actions that are are illegal, violate the Constitution, violate the norms of a modern civilized society, or violate the norms of American morality.

When the rest of the country sees that the elected President can do whatever he wants with no consequences, of course the rest of the country feels they should have no consequences either. Kind of like a role model thing?

Instead of consequences now, it appears that if one can get away with one's actions, they are being 'smart.' And when any politicians with morals goes against the party line, they are 'primaried' or voted out, so consequences for showing a backbone and sticking to principles can actually be viewed as punishment.

This is a cultural shift in American morality, and I don't see it changing as long as we are on the road we are on with the current leaders in power. We are living in a society where 'consequences' are not defined as being punished for not doing the right thing. Consequences may be punishment for doing the right thing.

I think we can safely say that the US has become a bizarro world where consequences are not based on morality, doing the 'right' thing, or doing what you believe is the principled action to take, but consequences may instead result from not obeying the 'mob mentality" of those wielding power (or imagined power).
Uh no.

It starts in the home. With parents that model an example. With kids that learn accountability and responsibility and manners and moral values.

Has ZERO NADA ZILCH to do with who is in office. NOTHING at all.

I swear if people didn't have a president to attack and blame stuff on ... uh oh .. there's that accountability thing AGAIN ... they'd actually have to look at THEMSELVES. Stop blaming other people. Be responsible for YOURSELF.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
I have been noticing that consequences seem to have been put aside and lost. When I was a kid and I screwed up, I got a crack on the ass. Eventually you kind of pick up that there are consequences to actions. Good or bad habits/deeds relate to actions taken later.

Is your credit card bill too high? Don't let the credit card company trick you into paying it. WTF? You owe $100,000. in back taxes? Let us settle this for a fraction of what you owe???

If you didn't come here illegally, none of this would be happening. If you didn't put a bullet in that guys head, you wouldn't be in prison. If you didn't steal some ones stuff...

People know this. It doesn't matter where you came from. people know this. You did it. It is your fault, it really is.

Being too spoiled or being too poor or being too anything is not excuse enough

Gotta go, the blood pressure is climbing
Yes! Yes! Yes! I couldn't agree more!

And LOL at some of the posters here making more excuses.

God forbid people take ownership...it's the President, patriots, parents, Jesus' fault.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:48 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're correct...sort of.

As a Buddhist, we are taught that it is important to wisely choose those you associate with.

The problem is that all too many people choose whom they associate with based on skin color or country origin. I have personally seen white Americans who will turn their back on a fine upstanding Black or Latino person, or person from another country, and then choose to associate with low life scum...who happen to also be white.
Geez, here we go again, picking on the white man. Sorry, but racists exist in EVERY ethnic population, and it’s not right in any situation.

The slow integration of socioalism and it’s general lack of moral comapass and the bashing of religion is a large part of the problem. For the past several decades (not just in Trump’s time in office lol) there has been a slow but steady attack on claiming anything to be right or wrong. (Except for the obvious like murder etc.) The problem has been that we have been hammered with this idea of tolerance which sounds nice on the surface but taken to an extreme, as is the case today, has taught people that anything goes. A good chunk of the population will take advantage of others at the drop of a hat and they are told that’s okay because you are of a certain ethnicity or are in a “difficult “ situation.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 PM

I would also add that plain old selfishness and self centeredness has contributed to the problem as well. People think they can do whatever they want and should skip the consequences. Again, we are told we should be tolerant of this. Sad.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:59 PM

The sad thing is, this no-consequence, selfish attitude has permeated all levels of society. From the rich to the poor, corporations, non-profits, private and public agencies, it seems like it’s rampant.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Geez, here we go again, picking on the white man. Sorry, but racists exist in EVERY ethnic population, and it’s not right in any situation.

The slow integration of socioalism and it’s general lack of moral comapass and the bashing of religion is a large part of the problem. For the past several decades (not just in Trump’s time in office lol) there has been a slow but steady attack on claiming anything to be right or wrong. (Except for the obvious like murder etc.) The problem has been that we have been hammered with this idea of tolerance which sounds nice on the surface but taken to an extreme, as is the case today, has taught people that anything goes. A good chunk of the population will take advantage of others at the drop of a hat and they are told that’s okay because you are of a certain ethnicity or are in a “difficult “ situation.
I gave an example. It is not the only example I could have given. Same principle applies for any racial group.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
Gotta go, the blood pressure is climbing
My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I was going to comment on the OP's points, but since this has quickly devolved into a political rant, I'm out.
Ditto, I'm on my way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I hear you OP. A poster here blames Trump but we can look at real evidence with Hillary who actually committed crimes that have put other people in prison.

It is hard to believe in the rule of law and have morals that dictate right from wrong when we see that some people are above the law and bad actions are rewarded.
Ignored, whitewashed AND rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Ask our president where paying the consequences went.
I have my own list of who, what, when, where, and why...but, which one?

"Where consequences went", politics aside, and sadly enough, as leaders of the most powerful nation in the world they represent, for better or worse, the moral and ethical values, or lack thereof, of our nation.

Political ethics is an oxymoron and it seems to be if one rolls around in the gutter of politics one will certainly become dirty and ethically compromised one way or another, sooner or later... and eventually. JMHO for today.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with who is sitting in the "big boy chair". It has gotten worse over the last 20, 25 years. Even when your beloved (fill in the blank) was in charge. It has more to do with morals. It is banking, lawyers, they are picking on my people, etc.

There is an excuse for everybody now. The people that are getting screwed are the ones that try to do the right thing. The ones that try to use their turn signals every time, pay their bills on time, keep their hands in their pockets when they go into a store. Because we know if we mess up and get caught, we expect to pay the price.
The definition of 'price' has changed and as a result opened up opportunities for many people. If they are just sitting in jail, there is a limitation on who benefits from them and there are limitations on what the jailer can do. The reality is that when a person from a tight knit community makes a poor choice, they receive help from their community and their options are not so limited. They are still living the same lifestyle, have the same political connections and social connections, and have almost the same opportunities.

This is not true of people living on the fringes of society who pretty much can make the same kind of mistakes but are dealt harsher consequences such as homelessness, forced to move to an area where the culture is different, and lose the ability to gain employment. In my opinion, that is not treating the citizens in the same community fairly where one suffers hardship more than the other when the same poor choice was made.

If you want to understand where these options come from, find the resourceful, tight knit communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates