Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 03:04 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Has no real impact. The recent one in Tennessee a prime example. Pretty clear they were after the factory people for tax evasion not the employ of illegal aliens. And that is the pattern. No charges filed even though the violations would appear clear. They likely find it difficult if not impossible to prove anything against the upper management. So they can likely get some low level manager or foreman but no one else.

Of course it solves something. It gives us the opportunity to enforce our immigration laws...something flatly impossible now. Not that we might not blow it again...but one hopes we learned from the last time.

That is more a matter of choosing to enforce the law than anything. And the thread of paying untold sums in legal bills is quite often deterrent enough.

Trust me. Arrest a few upper level managers and send out a few hundred investigators going through employment records, et al, and you won't even need a conviction. Heck, in my part of the world, arrest half a dozen contractors or go through their paperwork and they'll suddenly be hiring legal workers tout de suite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That is more a matter of choosing to enforce the law than anything. And the thread of paying untold sums in legal bills is quite often deterrent enough.

Trust me. Arrest a few upper level managers and send out a few hundred investigators going through employment records, et al, and you won't even need a conviction. Heck, in my part of the world, arrest half a dozen contractors or go through their paperwork and they'll suddenly be hiring legal workers tout de suite.
Again nonsense. You have to prove knowledgeable hiring. Virtually impossible at the higher levels. In fact they do not know it in any particular case. So you get some low level guy.

Takes thousands of hours by investigators to develop a case against a company. And again only lower level flunkies will be nailed. Often the thing leads to some contractor behind an LLC which immediately vanishes on being caught. New LLC starts the next day.

Hopeless task...not enough investigators in the Federal government to even slow it down.

And none of this remotely effects the dishwasher in the local restaurant.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Again nonsense. You have to prove knowledgeable hiring. Virtually impossible at the higher levels. In fact they do not know it in any particular case. So you get some low level guy.

Takes thousands of hours by investigators to develop a case against a company. And again only lower level flunkies will be nailed. Often the thing leads to some contractor behind an LLC which immediately vanishes on being caught. New LLC starts the next day.

Hopeless task...not enough investigators in the Federal government to even slow it down.

And none of this remotely effects the dishwasher in the local restaurant.
So I guess we should just all give up, open up the borders and let everyone just flow on in no matter who or what they are...

Forcing EVerify with severe penalties will certainly deter some/most...

Old 08-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So I guess we should just all give up, open up the borders and let everyone just flow on in no matter who or what they are...

Forcing EVerify with severe penalties will certainly deter some/most...
Of course not. Open borders would simply make the disaster we have worse.

We need to reduce the illegal alien population to a number that can in fact be maintained by our immigration system. That is no illegal alien case is unresolved in a few months. And none work because we throw them out before they can get established. And we particularly track down the over stayers before they become a huge problem.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I didn't quote all of this very good post for space reasons. I agree with most of it. However, we need to do two things to make that work to our benefit: 1) Increase the number of "openings"; and 2) Ramp up and staff up the application and deportation process. We are forced to use "catch and release" because we can't hold people in camps for years awaiting a hearing. And by the time that hearing happens either the person has disappeared, or had children so that removal would be perceived as heartless. I don't think its wrong, by the way. See Solution for Problem of "14th Amendment" Birthright Babies:
However, we should be holding hearings for people who cross at other than a port of entry within a few weeks, not years. This concededly costs money but that is the price of living by rule of laws, not men.
jbgusa- I do agree totally with what you have stated. I get frustrated with folks who call us horrible names because of our stance on immigration. I am actually hesitant to state my views but they do not come from a mean place or not being compassionate.

Like I have stated - I live in a diverse community and like it. I want people to LOVE this country but please come here legally. I also understand wanted to flee poverty and hopelessness but the fact remains, we have Americans living in poverty who need help and we cannot forget these folks.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in an All White community called Torrance- Ca at that time. Today - Torrance is home to many people from different countries. I no longer live there but was happy to move to where we live now. I was so tickled for my neighbors who became American citizens. Such lovely people with big hearts. Hard workers. I believe they came here via their sons who became citizens long ago.

Thank you for your post jbgusa and comment to me. I appreciate very much.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post

Like I have stated - I live in a diverse community and like it. I want people to LOVE this country but please come here legally. I also understand wanted to flee poverty and hopelessness but the fact remains, we have Americans living in poverty who need help and we cannot forget these folks. .
I agree, many Americans are living in poverty or going without health insurance/ medical care. I've seen immigrants getting handouts from local churches, they were earning good money on H1-B visas, with dual employment (both husband and wife). People think "immigrant" means "poor" but it doesn't always mean that.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Of course not. Open borders would simply make the disaster we have worse.

We need to reduce the illegal alien population to a number that can in fact be maintained by our immigration system. That is no illegal alien case is unresolved in a few months. And none work because we throw them out before they can get established. And we particularly track down the over stayers before they become a huge problem.
The thing is, we cannot reduce said population by making the ones already here legal and then work on it. That was done by President Reagan with the promise that A. It would be only done once. B. The border would be closed.
Neither was done so we are at the point where promises cannot be trusted so we need to close the border first, remove all employment possibilities for illegals and THEN start dealing with a reasonable immigration policy.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The thing is, we cannot reduce said population by making the ones already here legal and then work on it. That was done by President Reagan with the promise that A. It would be only done once. B. The border would be closed.
Neither was done so we are at the point where promises cannot be trusted so we need to close the border first, remove all employment possibilities for illegals and THEN start dealing with a reasonable immigration policy.
But you cannot. The only way that votes can be found for significant tightening of employment or other actions will be in an overall immigration bill that deals with the status of the present illegals.

And an absolute perfect closure of the border would not effect more than 1/3 of the currently arriving illegals.
and nothing proposed will seriously effect the situation along the Rio Grande.

And almost half of the present illegals are off the books.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:42 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:

I agree with you for the most part but IMO whether we secure the border first or not we need to continue to deport illegal aliens as they are found and it shouldn't matter whether or not they are "convicted" criminals or how long they have been here. Americans need their jobs back.

By legalizing them it negates our sane annual quotas for legal immigration and as you said since the last amnesty now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Rewarding law breaking just encourages more of the same. Enforcing our immigration laws is not as impossible as some claim and we finally have a president who is doing just that including wanting to build the wall already promised by congress back in 2006 which is not only cost effective but already proven to work.

I agree that we need to remove the employment possibilities but we also need to remove the magnet of birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits they get through them.

In keeping more with the topic immigrants whether they be legal or illegal should never be treated better than our own citizens. Americans first.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:44 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Americans need their jobs back.
1. The unemployment rate is insanely low. Many economists think it might be below what they consider "healthy unemployment." Many employers are having a hard time finding workers. I think Americans have their "jobs back."

2. This has been studied extensively, and the only Americans who are potentially harmed in the employment market by illegal immigration are high school dropouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In keeping more with the topic immigrants whether they be legal or illegal should never be treated better than our own citizens. Americans first.
Why should I care more about a person I have never met who lives in Ohio than a person I have never met who lives in China? This seems like just another vestige of in-group/out-group dynamics at play. Wouldn't it be just as logical for all the people with brown hair or all of the tall people to stick together? Personally, I think a job is probably helping the guy in China more than it is helping the guy in Ohio. Thus, I often buy imported goods because I think it is making a bigger positive difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates