Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"Mexico is safe" bwaaaaa haaaaa haaaa that's a good one! You should take that act on the road! As for the wall, yep, it's to keep people in Mexico unless they go through a Border Entry point. Duh....

The only duh here are those who fail to educate themselves, allowing the government controlled media to do it for them. Even Juarez has been cleaned up.

Have you ever resided in a foreign country?
I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjAet-Af190
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Most of these "poor countries" have vast natural resources that are or could be tapped but for whatever reason they've ignored or ripped off their own people. NOT OUR PROBLEM to solve.

Given that most outside the U.S. if not all people who reside North or South America fit your description of "darker skin" then following your rule no matter what we do it's bigotry unless we just give 'em everything and toss open our doors...
Actually, when those countries resources have been tapped, it's been by rich Western companies.

I would remind that a certain president stated publicly that he wanted more immigrants from counties like Norway.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I see the dividing issue as about identifying immigrants (a good thing)
from the illegal border crossing criminals of various flavors.

A couple laws that will charge business owners with a FELONY criminal charge
for hiring anyone without the right to work should solve most of the issues.

Undoing the damage WE HAVE DONE to the poor countries rooted in our 'war on drugs'
will solve whatever issues are left over.

This, pretty much.

If it's a felony with jail time to hire an illegal, illegal immigration stops immediately since there's no work. The problem is that you then have to replace those people with some kind of guest worker visa program. Somebody has to pick the lettuce and clean the toilets. It's certainly not going to be the red hat wearing people who want 'Murica to be great again.

I don't get it. Immigrants just arriving pretty much don't receive social services in the United States. It's not like my tax dollars are being flung at illegals. They don't get Medicaid. The don't get TANF. They don't get Section 8 vouchers.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:18 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If Obrador keeps his promises that will change in a hurry. This could be the perfect storm, since Trump won't be willing to prop up the Mexican economy from the upcoming spending spree.
obrador may not be around very long..

Mexico president-elect rejects bodyguards: 'The citizens will protect me'

Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Most of these "poor countries" have vast natural resources that are or could be tapped
but for whatever reason they've ignored or ripped off their own people.

NOT OUR PROBLEM to solve.
Ever hear of the Monroe Doctrine?
How about United Fruit Co?
(that's just two conversations as a starter)

Our filthy fingerprints are all over the murder weapons.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ever hear of the Monroe Doctrine?
How about United Fruit Co?
(that's just two conversations as a starter)

Our filthy fingerprints are all over the murder weapons.
Very good point, Mr. Rational. But you have to remember that such principles are only principles when they're to our advantage.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:38 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
[quote=jimj;52380677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, the reason that the USA and Europe is expected to do more is because, with a few exceptions, countries in North America (except Mexico) and Europe are richer. I guess you're suggesting that the poorest countries in the world should be left to solve the problem.Most of these "poor countries" have vast natural resources that are or could be tapped but for whatever reason they've ignored or ripped off their own people. NOT OUR PROBLEM to solve.
I think JimJ's hit on something important. In none of the OPEC countries have the average people done well. Even Saudi Arabia's people who are not in the ruling class experience grinding poverty. And this was the case even when oil prices were riding high, in the period roughly 1974-1981 and 2000-2014. In Venezuela, Nigeria, Algeria, Libya, Iraq, Iran, and Indonesia very few people benefited from oil wealth. Non-OPEC USSR (and Russia), Mexico and Ecuador, same story.

Only Britain, Norway and Canada (that I can think of) used the wealth in a constructive manner.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't thing that, in general, people call it bigotry to set limits. I think it's called bigotry when those limits seem to be set mostly against people with darker skin.
Given that most outside the U.S. if not all people who reside North or South America fit your description of "darker skin" then following your rule no matter what we do it's bigotry unless we just give 'em everything and toss open our doors...
Skin color is not the issue. Culture is. And cultures that have centuries or millennia-old patterns of enriching tribal chiefs, hereditary emperors or other rulers are likely to remain poor countries except for the lucky.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't get it. Immigrants just arriving pretty much don't receive social services in the United States. It's not like my tax dollars are being flung at illegals. They don't get Medicaid. The don't get TANF. They don't get Section 8 vouchers.
I live near Port Chester, New York. What does happen is that you get houses designed for, say, one family housing eight families. My electrician told me some horror stories.

And the children of all of the families go to school and are often educated in Spanish, not English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
He probably has his own security detail. Using the current staff of bodyguards probably would not be in his interest.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The only duh here are those who fail to educate themselves, allowing the government controlled media to do it for them. Even Juarez has been cleaned up.

Have you ever resided in a foreign country?
I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjAet-Af190
And I'm sure you've got friends who are blah,blah blah...

Old 07-04-2018, 07:51 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This, pretty much.

If it's a felony with jail time to hire an illegal, illegal immigration stops immediately since there's no work. The problem is that you then have to replace those people with some kind of guest worker visa program. Somebody has to pick the lettuce and clean the toilets. It's certainly not going to be the red hat wearing people who want 'Murica to be great again.

Although punishing the employers for hiring illegal aliens along with e-verify to stop them it's not just jobs that bring them here birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits do also. All of the incentives have to be removed. One of the reasons I'm a strong advocate for building the wall. Don't allow them to get in here in the first place and it will go a long ways in ending illegal immigration as we know it. Couple that with all of the above and this issue would mostly be solved.

We already have several guest worker programs one of which is the unlimited H-2A visas for picking crops. Americans have always been willing to do all other jobs for a fair wage and that would include conservative Americans. Illegal aliens have flooded the construction industry for example and Americans have always done that work for a fair wage.

Actually, illegal aliens are costing us over $100 billion a year in education, healthcare, etc. All one has to do is give birth to a baby on our soil and they are entitled to everything you mentioned and then some. We have to give illegal aliens emergency healthcare also even if they show up at the ER with just a cold in many cases and guess who gets to foot the bill for that? Since many illegal aliens use fake or stolen ID's they also gain benefits thru fraud.

I don't have a problem with legal immigrants as most of them don't do the above and go through health and backgrounds checks and most of them are a benefit and not a burden to our society as illegal aliens are. Here are a couple of links backing up what I said.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2...llect-welfare/

https://www.fairus.org/press-release...n-us-taxpayers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates