Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 01:04 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
The needs of the immigrants matters more because they're working the jobs that people in the host nation won't do. Plus, there's the added benefit of a different language in addition to English.

There are no jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. I see no added benefit of turning our country into the Tower of Babel with dozens of different languages being spoke. A common language is needed so we can communicate with one another. English is our common language and immigrants need to learn it and speak it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I see the dividing issue as about identifying immigrants (a good thing)
from the illegal border crossing criminals of various flavors.

A couple laws that will charge business owners with a FELONY criminal charge
for hiring anyone without the right to work should solve most of the issues.

Undoing the damage WE HAVE DONE to the poor countries rooted in our 'war on drugs'
will solve whatever issues are left over.
The U.S. is the biggest consumer of drugs from these countries. What should we do about the drug addicts then?

Old 07-28-2018, 06:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What should we do about the drug addicts then?
That's a whole other set of discussion threads (look for them).
But solution starts with making a medical and mental health approach the norm...
and NOT any sort of criminal approach as we've seen does NOT solve anything.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:43 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's a whole other set of discussion threads (look for them).
But solution starts with making a medical and mental health approach the norm...
and NOT any sort of criminal approach as we've seen does NOT solve anything.
Yes.

It solves separating the problem from society. That's not nothing.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yes.

It solves separating the problem from society. That's not nothing.
Only separates a small part of the problem from society. And that at great cost.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Only separates a small part of the problem from society. And that at great cost.
Why don't you offer to personally house them then?

Old 07-28-2018, 02:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Sure - Right after you house all the murderers and rapists. Think of all the money you would save the governments.

Back in reality Portugal seems to have about the best approach. And no more big profitable drug dealers which eliminates another big source of crime.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sure - Right after you house all the murderers and rapists. Think of all the money you would save the governments.

Back in reality Portugal seems to have about the best approach. And no more big profitable drug dealers which eliminates another big source of crime.
Typically people are compassionate with other peoples' money and safety.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
I have been for Immigration Reform for decades. We have had a few amnesty's and there was a time when we needed immigrants coming to the USA as it had not been populated (states) and I am referring to Ellis Island etc.

In California we now face a water shortage so they say. Does it make logical sense to ask people to just come on over the border ? Makes yourselves at home? Look, my parents were born in America and THEIR parents were born in America. I am a native Californian and hate watching what is happening to California due to liberal policies. In 2020 I believe they said they would start fining us for showering on certain days? Something like that... Globalist want OPEN BORDERS. I want people to come here but I want them to apply for citizenship like my neighbors did who came from Colombia. They are now US Citizens and all work here. I live in a very diverse community and love it but we have to be smart. China is a mess - over populated and talk about smoggy pollution. My friends daughter-in-law has to travel to China as she is a clothes designer and hates going there. Too many people and you have to almost always wear a mask (covering nose/mouth) when you are outside. Do we want America to be like that?

I am not a huge fan of Trumps and there are some things I do not like about him BUT he was for immigration reform and is keeping his promise. We can't have people sneaking in from third world countries and bringing diseases along with them. America has enough problems now with our homeless situation. My goodness. Our people are compassionate and give to charities but we are letting American citizens down as well. We have a lot of poor people - disabled we must help our citizens. Time to get tough on immigration.

American immigration lawyers brought all those children up here from Central America. I blame them and the parents. It was wrong. Very wrong. There are people here who refuse to learn English and assimilate. I understand keeping your traditions but learn English please. There are only a very few in my community who refuse to be friendly and are from other countries. Become a citizen...:-) Join us but do it legally.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I am not a huge fan of Trumps and there are some things I do not like about him BUT he was for immigration reform and is keeping his promise. We can't have people sneaking in from third world countries and bringing diseases along with them. America has enough problems now with our homeless situation. My goodness. Our people are compassionate and give to charities but we are letting American citizens down as well. We have a lot of poor people - disabled we must help our citizens. Time to get tough on immigration.

American immigration lawyers brought all those children up here from Central America. I blame them and the parents. It was wrong. Very wrong. There are people here who refuse to learn English and assimilate. I understand keeping your traditions but learn English please. There are only a very few in my community who refuse to be friendly and are from other countries. Become a citizen...:-) Join us but do it legally.
I didn't quote all of this very good post for space reasons. I agree with most of it. However, we need to do two things to make that work to our benefit: 1) Increase the number of "openings"; and 2) Ramp up and staff up the application and deportation process. We are forced to use "catch and release" because we can't hold people in camps for years awaiting a hearing. And by the time that hearing happens either the person has disappeared, or had children so that removal would be perceived as heartless. I don't think its wrong, by the way. See Solution for Problem of "14th Amendment" Birthright Babies:
Quote:
My proposal to give the parents a choice between returning to their countries with their babies or leaving them here but returning themselves isn't as heartless as it sounds. The parents can always keep their children; by returning to where they should be. Remember, the parents created a dangerous situation by deciding to have a baby in a country in which they were not legally present, or if legal, only on a very temporary basis.
However, we should be holding hearings for people who cross at other than a port of entry within a few weeks, not years. This concededly costs money but that is the price of living by rule of laws, not men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates