Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 03:33 PM

643 posts, read 329,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
One of my college buddies (a high school teacher in Georgia) felt the need to vent his frustration over something he witnessed the other day. According to my friend, a stranger sat down next to a Navy vet, who proceeded to ask the stranger whether he had ever served his country? The stranger "hesitated," before stating "not in the military." The vet then laughed and replied something along the lines of "don't tell me you mean that chicken-**** Peace Corps or something").

Well, my friend was deeply upset with this and went on a decent rant about how it is ridiculous that many believe that the military is the most significant or even the most significant way to serve your country. About how we have taken things "too far" with the "Godlike pedestal" we put military service members on, as it devalues other forms of public service, such as teaching, medicine, and social justice warfare (i.e. putting yourselves in "harm's way by protesting against the police). This friend demands that other forms of public service get treated the same as military service. That teachers, doctors, lawyers, social justice warriors, etc., get saluted at ball games, get preferential boarding at airports, etc. To be fair, my friend claimed that he was in no way denigrating military service.

While I greatly respect the work of men and women serving as teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc., I find much of what my friend wrote to be troubling. Simply put, I believe that members of the AF (as a general matter) do provide a different service requiring greater sacrifice than teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Indeed, how many teachers, etc., have been killed in the line of duty in the last 15 years (or last however many years you want to count)? How many teachers, etc., risk their lives every day just by putting on their uniform to go do their work? How many teachers are separated from their families for up to a year (or more) on regular deployments, etc.? There's a reason why military men and women are put on a "pedestal" by society (generally). What they do is different (although not necessarily "better" or "greater") than what your regular public servant does.

Still, I seemed to be in the minority with my beliefs (granted, most of my friend's connections lean left on the political spectrum, which may help to explain things). I'm curious to know how many (and why) would agree with my friend.

(last sentence) You want to know how many don't think the military should be put on a pedestal after you give such a slanted opening?

That is like someone starting a thread of asking people what they think of policemen then starting the OP by........." A friend witnessed a cop come into a cafe, The cop told an elderly gent to get off his stool and move then shouted at the waitress to bring him free coffee. By the way, what do you think of cops ? "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 03:52 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
(last sentence) You want to know how many don't think the military should be put on a pedestal after you give such a slanted opening?

That is like someone starting a thread of asking people what they think of policemen then starting the OP by........." A friend witnessed a cop come into a cafe, The cop told an elderly gent to get off his stool and move then shouted at the waitress to bring him free coffee. By the way, what do you think of cops ? "
That's called the "Poisoning the Well fallacy."

Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Do we really want peace? Seems that the Peace Corp is not violent so therefore no good. The UN Peacekeeping personnel are also human shields but are forbidden to use weapons unless they are shot at first. Sometimes their members die before weapons are brought out. Takes a lot of bravery.
Nobody will send the police to arrest a Peace Corp member should he decide he doesn't want to go to country X and goes absent. The woman who joined the military service and decides that she is not going to go faces penalties from bad paper discharges forcing her to try to hide that portion of her employment history to prison.

The so called pedestal that a soldier has over a Peace Corpsman, who is also on a pedestal and perhaps a greater one than the soldier to part of the community, is part of the overall compensation. The titles and honors allows for a lower salary to get recruits without the need to resort to a draft compulsive military service

Old 07-29-2018, 04:08 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
....."I don't see how they're greater than other occupations"

apples to oranges

The military is the only place where you have to sign a binding contract of employment that requires anywhere from 4-6 years.

It is the only place I know of that an 18 year old signs a binding contract w/o experiencing the job first.

There is no saying " No thanks, I think I'll decline that job overseas and seek other employment.

I challenge any poster to show me any other place of employment where that employment contract is enforceable by law.
I still stand by my previous post. Just because a job has some unique characteristics such as what you're stating, doesn't mean their sacrifice is any greater, or less, than any other job. Try giving current military personnel the choice of either staying in their current job or taking a civilian job, like corrections officer, janitor, teacher, lawyer, sewer worker, etc. A lot (most?) wouldn't do it because they know their current job offers them a better lifestyle and better pay and benefits for the work they do compared to certain other jobs. I'd certainly want to join the military rather than do any of those civilian jobs that I mentioned. I'm not putting down anyone in the military, I'm just saying I don't believe they're anything special. For many it's actually a great path to accomplish something in life when they have few other options.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's called the "Poisoning the Well fallacy."
bingo

Old 07-29-2018, 04:26 PM

[quote=WannabeCPA;52642272]I still stand by my previous post. Just because a job has some unique characteristics such as what you're stating, doesn't mean their sacrifice is any greater, or less, than any other job. Try giving current military personnel the choice of either staying in their current job or taking a civilian job, like corrections officer, janitor, teacher, lawyer, sewer worker, etc. A lot (most?) wouldn't do it because they know their current job offers them a better lifestyle and better pay and benefits for the work they do compared to certain other jobs. I'd certainly want to join the military rather than do any of those civilian jobs that I mentioned. I'm not putting down anyone in the military, I'm just saying I don't believe they're anything special. For many it's actually a great path to accomplish something in life when they have few other options.[/QUOTE

Less than 20% of servicemen ever make a career out of the military.

What do you think those 80% who leave the military do when they return to civilian life?

They become corrections officers,janitors,teachers,lawyers,sewer workers etc

Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times
There should be a draft and everyone serves. It would make a difference if it wasn't someone else dying. I could except other forms of public service for those with health issues.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:39 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Let's keep in mind that 80% of the "jobs" in the military are non-combat. For those who are in or have been in combat positions...they have my utmost respect. For the rest...it's a just a job...an important one...but just a job.

Many occupations are needed by our nations.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:40 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
There are plenty of military veterans who don't walk around with a chip on their shoulder like the world owes them the way the person in the OP's post allegedly did.

Also, many of the people who put military veterans on a pedestal weren't actually a veteran themselves. Maybe their family is/was or they just have a strong affinity for the military.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Is (and should) military service put on a pedestal to the detriment of other public service?

Honestly I don't see where military service put on a pedestal would or should be to the detriment to (or of) other public service. Is the one stealing thunder or respect from the other? I don't see it that way irrespective of the story in your OP.

When one does a stellar job under extremely dangerous and trying circumstance they can take pride in a job well done and hopefully come home at the end of their tour (or shift or end of contract).

However, I come from a long line (generations) of military men (and some women) so I may be slightly biased but I would feel the same if I came from a family of police personnel as well; both of which I see as highly and potentially dangerous jobs.

Regardless I put those both on a pedestal for their service and dedication and I will always respect and salute them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02ztfHknzI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates