Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Exactly. There is a reason we have police. While there are some bad ones most are doing what they need to do to serve and protect.

Being of color does not make you an automatic victim. Follow the law and you're unlikely to be in a casket whether you're white, black, brown, red, yellow, purple, pink, blue, green, striped or spotted.

I'm 37 and never been arrested or had any trouble with cops so there must be some truth to what I'm saying.
Sure - we all like to think our own experience is the same as everyone else's...that is until we want to prove that we'e done is what got us where we are today.

If you're in or from N. Dakota I already can tell you your expererience is not universal and not typical. Of course I'd say the same if you were from Wyoming.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
Do you think that if you were in a bar, and a 20 something well built man were standing there, and you started throwing verbal assaults at him, his family, wishing death on him, do you think that perhaps, every once in a while, you might tick that man off and get your butt kicked?

Same with cops, they're human after-all.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, nothing warrants the kind of cop violence we're seeing - especially not in a country that claims to support freedom of speech. It seems clear to me that there are a lot of cops with psychological problems of their own.
Do you see any psychological issues in how some citizens immediately start acting in public against cops, or is it just one’s right to act like a wild animal for little to no reason?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Best thing that has ever happened to policing is body cameras. Although the media won’t allow it, and much of the citizenry won’t accept the truth, they have proven that cops are almost always acting properly within the law while the maniacal citizens they confront are not.

Cameras have become so important to cops that there are already the predictable movements to get them banned for being “biased”. Unfortunately, citizens can’t act like fools now, record only the cops, then sue. Now their behavior is being exposed for what it is.

I love my camera. Won’t leave the building without it. I’ve no intention of ever interacting with a citizen without recording it for the rest of my career. I don’t care how uncomfortable it makes some people feel.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Best thing that has ever happened to policing is body cameras. Although the media won’t allow it, and much of the citizenry won’t accept the truth, they have proven that cops are almost always acting properly within the law while the maniacal citizens they confront are not.

Cameras have become so important to cops that there are already the predictable movements to get them banned for being “biased”. Unfortunately, citizens can’t act like fools now, record only the cops, then sue. Now their behavior is being exposed for what it is.

I love my camera. Won’t leave the building without it. I’ve no intention of ever interacting with a citizen without recording it for the rest of my career. I don’t care how uncomfortable it makes some people feel.
Good, let's keep EVERYONE honest . Trust but verify.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:22 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Exactly. There is a reason we have police. While there are some bad ones most are doing what they need to do to serve and protect.

Being of color does not make you an automatic victim. Follow the law and you're unlikely to be in a casket whether you're white, black, brown, red, yellow, purple, pink, blue, green, striped or spotted.

I'm 37 and never been arrested or had any trouble with cops so there must be some truth to what I'm saying.
1. North Dakota isn't exactly representative of the environment where most Americans live.

2. I don't think it's a very strong endorsement of police when you say "most are doing what they need to do". Just most? That's what this thread is about.

3. Nobody is saying that being a person of color makes you an "automatic victim". However, rather than me picking out some article about the topic, I suggest you Google "evidence that police harass people of color", and read perhaps a dozen articles so that you can actually learn something.

4. The validity of your post is brought into strong question when you talk about people who are "purple, pink, blue, green, striped or spotted".

5. North Dakota is one of the five least diverse states in terms of African-Americans (about 1% of the population). So I doubt very much that you've talked about this topic with your many close Black friends. Perhaps your perspective might be different if you weren't living in a virtually all white state (yes, I know 5% of your population is American Indian, 60% of whom live on Indian reservations).

Last edited by phetaroi; 09-02-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-02-2018, 10:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Most posting don’t feel the officer has any right to force them to do anything
Non compliance is perceived as a civil right
And law obedience is a matter of perception and opinion
Hence the expression
Law enforcement
For those who feel they are above the law - we have police
So I guess back in the days of the civil rights struggle, all the people affected should have just shut up, obeyed and complied with whatever the police were telling them to do, instead of causing problems and being troublemakers?

Sometimes non-compliance and disobedience is the RIGHT THING to do.

Another thing, the 'enforcement' in law enforcement means they are there to ENFORCE laws, NOT to have any influence or opinions on what those laws should be or how they should be written, changed or altered either. Law enforcement in general, should have NO opinion on any law, that aspect is beyond their scope. This really irks me when I hear of law enforcement stating their opinion or making it clear where they stand on certain issues/ laws (mostly drug related), but it goes for other laws too.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:40 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Please cite the bolded.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:01 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please cite the bolded.
To be fair if he really is a cop in Staten island, hes part of NYPD and they have been successfully corralled on behavior. Havent really heard much from NYPD in terms of abuse issues for quite some time.

Unfortunately, just like the other poster, hes only relating to his experience and is not admitting that he doesnt know about how the conduct is from other poorly supervised departments.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Cops should be better screened/trained not to react when goaded. They should use minimum force required. Sometimes a bullet is required... But not over some punk azz running their mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates