Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:45 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are 9 million American Ex-Pats living in other countries. Probably not in 3rd world countries, but there are plenty of other desirable countries to live in. There are more and more people who cannot afford to remain here in retirement who have gone abroad and are living much better than they were here, some of them post on Retirement.

Also, the number of Mexican citizens returning to Mexico has been lower than the number coming in for at least 5 years now, but of course they don't mention that much now because it doesn't serve their purpose.
Yes, I'm one. Could not afford to retire in the U.S. in the lifestyle we desired.

I think your last sentence is reversed? Those returning to Mexico are now higher in numbers than those coming into the U.S. I have heard this statistic for awhile, now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I'm one. Could not afford to retire in the U.S. in the lifestyle we desired.

I think your last sentence is reversed? Those returning to Mexico are now higher in numbers than those coming into the U.S. I have heard this statistic for awhile, now.
No, we hear the lie that they are POURING over the border.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
It's especially great if you are born a Bush. You can be president of the US, and so can your son.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have asked this question before but nobody wants to answer it. When did America STOP being great? Obama''s election? Clinton's? When Democrats were Presidents?
Look at the OP title. That's my answer.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:14 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
America was great when I was born in 1938 and it is now in 2018 and I'm 80. I always resented the "H" out of this current president on this position and all those who fell for his rhetoric.

I think those who find so many faults, move to another country. Please.
Sorry. But the real patriots are those who see the flaws, not the fairy tale tellers. And no one has to leave because they don't slobber all over America. Frankly, you don't get what this country is about. It's about being able to dissent.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:20 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:

And if we don't? How great can a place be if people are afraid to share it with those who disagree with them?

Old 09-08-2018, 06:47 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
You are the first person I have encountered in 20+ years who even knows who he was.

I have always thought that his book Democracy in America should be required reading.
Well, that's a sad commentary which I can tell is likely only too accurate. It's not just de Tocqueville. There's a whole world of writing on politics and philosophy and government which has been figuratively burned lest it intrude on the modern project.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I've never read Dinesh D'souza but he seems to me like one of those sensationalist, Bill Maher types, and that doesn't inspire confidence.

(emphasis mine) What does that mean? I honestly don't know.

Well, as someone already pointed out, we aspired to some pretty lofty ideals back at our conception and failed to live up to many of them.
Perspective, perspective.

D'souza is about as far removed intellectually and philosophically from Mahr as it's possible to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Toqueville.

He also said no constitution can withstand an immoral people while morality will always find a way even against the worst laws. Something like that. He emphasized the importance or morality over law and morality's ultimate decisiveness in politics and government.

I think his writing is the best side-by-side companion to the American experience from its beginning to the present and likely for what is still to come.
Amen to Alexis de Toqueville. Unfortunately today's miseducated dumbed-down products of an NEA-driven school system know almost nothing and most lack the power of reasoning. That's called progress if you're a "progressive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
And if we don't? How great can a place be if people are afraid to share it with those who disagree with them?
You mean like when democrat rioters attack people who disagree with them, who burn and beat and assault? When conservative speakers are run out of Berkeley and many other "institutions of higher learning?"

College used to be about debate, discussion, learning, and reasoning. Now it's about PC and if you don't agree I'll give you a bad grade or kick you out of my class. "Liberalism," funny how it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I didn't realize you were this far gone, or I wouldn't have responded at all. Never mind, have a nice day and enjoy your Kool Aid.
If facts = "far gone" then you have pretty well painted yourself into a corner.

Quote:
America was great when I was born in 1938 and it is now in 2018 and I'm 80. I always resented the "H" out of this current president on this position and all those who fell for his rhetoric.

What is your opinion of the last president?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

The wall is to keep $$ inside the U.S.
I could sell my house up here, and live out my days in Guanajuato/San Miguel etc. without working.
Having resided in the Dominican Republic, I can attest it is less stressful and way cheaper than the U.S.
I'm certain Mexico is similar.

And let's face it, there's no culture in America; b/c everyone is originally from somewhere else.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:34 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Bear in mind the effects of the lowering of the fertility rates all over the world, the 1-2 child family system. The fertility rate in Mexico is now down to 2.2, and falling even more?, and think of the long-range impact of that, and larger and larger aging population in Mexico. Lowering of the fertility rate is a sure recipe for higher wages. it may be cheap now to be an ex-pat in a poorer foreign country, but for long?

I just bought a $30k mobile home here in a 55+ senior mobile home co-op and with $1212 social security payments, and with $70k in the bank, I'll never have to work again. So why would I want to move to a foreign country as an ex-pat where I couldn't even live cheaper?

I have traveled all over South and Central America and Mexico keeping an eye out for potentially being an ex-pat and I fail to see the big advantage. Ever checked out grocery prices in a big grocery chain in Mexico, Central America or South America where they don't subsidize agriculture like they do in the U.S.? Go check out the Gigante grocery store on Revolution Ave. in Tijuana some time, and you wonder: how can they afford to eat down here? Prices higher than in the U.S.! Small wonder that passport carrying Tijuanese cross the border to the U.S. to do some of their shopping. And ever been to a Wal-Mart in Mexico? Higher prices than the U.S.!

Great depends on the class of people you talk to!

Last edited by tijlover; 09-11-2018 at 12:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates