Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 3,724,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I don't know what the big deal is: they are simply there in the background translating for those hard of hearing whose primary language as ASL. If it bothers you, don't pay any attention.

Easier said than done. It's rather hard to ignore someone who is standing right beside the speaker and waving their arms around continuously, making faces, gesturing, and doing everything possible to divert the attention to themselves and away from the speaker. Even if that's not their intent, that's the real effect for a huge majority of the viewers.

I understand that for a very small percent of the population, signing is necessary for them to "hear", but that's no excuse to burden the 98+% of the population with continuous distracting arm waving and face making. Again, what's wrong with having an option for watching the signing or not watching the signing?

For that matter, why do those who need signing even need to see the speaker at all? He/she is just standing there moving their lips. The TV station could just paste a picture of the speaker on the screen and then show the signer. Meanwhile, 98+% of the population who are fortunate to be able to hear reasonably well won't have to bother with the distracting antics if the signer is out of their picture.

When a business has a handicap ramp for people unable to climb steps, they don't require everyone to use the ramp. Those who are able to climb steps are free to choose the steps if that's what they want. Why shouldn't people who can hear well be able to watch and listen to TV without the distraction of someone standing beside the speaker and waving their arms and making faces?

What if you couldn't hear and needed a signer, and the TV station put some guy right beside the signer who was just waving his arms, using hand gestures, and making faces? Wouldn't you find that distracting with both guys (one signer and one clown) both in the same picture? I'll bet you would. Anything that distracts from your main source of information is a distraction. That's why I hate flashing/moving ads on my computer monitor when I'm trying to read or watch something. The motion is a distraction. I'm sure that many people feel the same way.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:20 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Such small, petty, sad sentiments here.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:26 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Easier said than done. It's rather hard to ignore someone who is standing right beside the speaker and waving their arms around continuously, making faces, gesturing, and doing everything possible to divert the attention to themselves and away from the speaker. Even if that's not their intent, that's the real effect for a huge majority of the viewers.

I understand that for a very small percent of the population, signing is necessary for them to "hear", but that's no excuse to burden the 98+% of the population with continuous distracting arm waving and face making. Again, what's wrong with having an option for watching the signing or not watching the signing?

For that matter, why do those who need signing even need to see the speaker at all? He/she is just standing there moving their lips. The TV station could just paste a picture of the speaker on the screen and then show the signer. Meanwhile, 98+% of the population who are fortunate to be able to hear reasonably well won't have to bother with the distracting antics if the signer is out of their picture.

When a business has a handicap ramp for people unable to climb steps, they don't require everyone to use the ramp. Those who are able to climb steps are free to choose the steps if that's what they want. Why shouldn't people who can hear well be able to watch and listen to TV without the distraction of someone standing beside the speaker and waving their arms and making faces?

What if you couldn't hear and needed a signer, and the TV station put some guy right beside the signer who was just waving his arms, using hand gestures, and making faces? Wouldn't you find that distracting with both guys (one signer and one clown) both in the same picture? I'll bet you would. Anything that distracts from your main source of information is a distraction. That's why I hate flashing/moving ads on my computer monitor when I'm trying to read or watch something. The motion is a distraction. I'm sure that many people feel the same way.
Close your eyes, then. And while they're closed, add a prayer of gratitude that you can hear (and see, to be annoyed by them).

Old 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
I ordinarily don't use the word "snowflake" to refer to anything other than literal flakes of snow, but this has to be the snowflakiest complaint that ever snowflaked. Good lord.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:34 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are seriously not familiar with Bugs Bunny?

ETA: Forgot you are an Aussie, so maybe not!

Bugs Bunny was an old cartoon character who would say, "What a maroon!" instead of "moron".

Oh no. I had forgotten about that myself. Me, an American and an occasional Bugs Bunny cartoon watcher. I was thinking of the dark red color at the time. Maybe if I had heard it as Bugs Bunny speaks?

Old 06-04-2020, 06:32 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
She didn't word it as well as you say ...what's a 'maroon'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are seriously not familiar with Bugs Bunny?

ETA: Forgot you are an Aussie, so maybe not!

Bugs Bunny was an old cartoon character who would say, "What a maroon!" instead of "moron".
Yes, of course I'm familiar with Bugs Bunny ...he was actually my cartoon favorite as a kid. And, while I'm IN 'Aussie', and have been for the past 40 years, I'm not 'Aussie' born. That said, I doubt there would be any 'natives' here who didn't know who Bugs Bunny is. Come to think of it ...what sign would be used by sign language interpreters for either 'moron' or the color 'maroon'? Or, for that matter, any color?

Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
i have always found it beautiful to watch the sign language translators. They can be so expressive, and there are individual styles. I am mesmerized. It is like watching a beautiful dance. My feeling has always been have them be the whole screen and just have the speaker be a voice. When i see them live in person at an event, i always watch them, and them only, not the speaker or presenter. I have always done that.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:41 PM

i know a lady down the street who sign language teaches and translates. She is hired mostly in different school or university classes. I love it when she speaks and signs at the same time in conversation. I've known sign language speakers who use it in the home along with language, so their children in the home grow up hearing it and seeing it and learning it. And how it is taught in some preschools as a "second language." I would have loved to have that available in school.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

i would say be careful of what you complain about and what you make fun of and ridicule.
because life has a way of handing that to you as a way to learn, for instance, compassion.

i had a friend in high school, who was quick witted and provided wry comments which were often quite funny, but they also had an edge to them. It was during the time when "toxic shock syndrome" was happening and she was the one who was constantly telling all these "jokes" about toxic shock syndrome. (for those who don't know, it is when tampons were marketed as being super absorbent and left in place for 12 or 18 or 24 hours without being changed, and women were getting very ill from bacterial infections and dying.) the product line was eventually taken off the market and there was education given about the dangers of leaving tampons in place for too long.

anyway month after month she was telling all these toxic shock syndrome jokes and sure enough she became ill with it, very ill, and nearly died. She was hospitalized for a long time. It was interesting to hear her talk about it afterwards, she said there was absolutely no doubt in her mind she got it because she had been so insensitive and mocking of it. There was a marked change in her after that. From being a smart aleck (a funny quite popular one at that) to being much more sensitive and aware.

so be careful what you put out there. because you could very well wind up being in the situation which you now show so little compassion for. if you don't learn how to be compassionate any other way, then that is an effective way to learn that lesson.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:21 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Yes, I agree. Their hyper-animated expressions take away from the speaker. I don’t remember that they were so animated before or maybe I just wasn’t paying attention?
Their facial expressions are a major part of the language. In Atlanta our governor uses a sign language interpreter who is himself deaf. He has a hearing interpreter stand in the front row of the audience and he interprets her signs because her signs are a direct translation--he animates them and translates them so users of ASL can better understand.

Obviously he adds to the event for deaf people, but he's also teaching the rest of us that not everyone perceives the world like we do. There's room for deaf people in Atlanta. It's a big, welcoming place.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...rC5wsPP82nf6M/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates