Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:29 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times

Advertisements

Are facial expressions and/or touching one's face actual parts of ASL, affecting the definition of a specific word being "said" with hands?

Either way, I did find myself slightly exaggerating my facial expressions when communicating with a deaf person---either by scribbling notes or by gesturing, since I don't know ASL---since verbalizing feelings via tone of voice was impossible.

Perhaps it's a good idea to learn to sign "sorry, I don't know ASL" in ASL. Not unlike memorizing "lo siento, no hablo español".

Old 06-06-2020, 12:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Closed captioning is 40 years old. I smell a rat.
That's your upper lip.

Closed-captioning is fine when someone hands you a written script and you have all the live-long day and the day after that and the day after that to type it up, because it will not be broadcast for another week, or month or entire freaking year.

There is no one who can type fast enough for a live unscripted speech.

JFK spoke at about 200 wpm. That should give you an idea.

Perhaps one day in the not too distant Future, the technology will exist to accurately -- and that's the key -- text translate voice with -- and that's also key -- correct/proper punctuation.

Until then, brush twice-a-day and use plenty of mouthwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Are facial expressions and/or touching one's face actual parts of ASL, affecting the definition of a specific word being "said" with hands?
Yes.

Make a fist. Put your fist next to the side of your head with the back of your hand facing out.

Now raise your index finger.

Make no facial expression whatsoever.

That means UNDERSTAND.

Now, shake or nod your head, because that mean you don't understand or that you do understand.

ASL is like Classical Biblical Hebrew (as different from Modern Hebrew) in that there are no verb tenses.

You use shoulder movements as one way to indicate past tense or future tense or hand movements.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:07 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just can't take it any more......every press conference has one of these weirdos, and they're getting worse. The lady at the Minn press conference yesterday was just bizarre with her antics. They seem to all be the oddest looking people, do they teach that in the classes?

Why can't we just use closed caption like we used to?

Without the expressions of emotion, the context would not be the same. Same thing with closed captioning. It would be like getting all your information via text, but without any emojis, exclamation points, etc. I'm sure we've all had texts or e-mails that we weren't sure how to take..."was she kidding or is she mad at me?" type of thing. Words alone can have very different meanings. So we put a smiley face at the end so the person knows we are kidding.

The translators do exactly that for the deaf. They act as the exclamation points and emojis through their expression, so the person understands the context.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:22 PM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Just can't take it any more......every press conference has one of these weirdos, and they're getting worse. The lady at the Minn press conference yesterday was just bizarre with her antics. They seem to all be the oddest looking people, do they teach that in the classes?

Am I right that it's always a left-winger that uses those?

Old 06-09-2020, 08:53 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
I wonder if OP would like the translator to start doing the Macarena. Now THAT would be funny.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I never watch things with the interpreters, it's way too distracting and they make me laugh. Fortunately I canceled my cable tv and don't have to watch the news anymore, an online I can just skip this kind of stuff.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:25 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I never watch things with the interpreters, it's way too distracting and they make me laugh. Fortunately I canceled my cable tv and don't have to watch the news anymore, an online I can just skip this kind of stuff.
How enlightened.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:16 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Anyone have a chance to watch Gov Inslee's translator the other night on (I believe CNN) the guy not only had strange facial behavior but he was bouncing up and down like he had just "go somewhere really bad."

Old 06-13-2020, 05:27 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
what else should we complain about? Those folks riding those contraptions who park in blue zones just for them? How about those folks who work with those darn long white sticks and cross at those chirping crosswalks. Grrr. And then gosh darn all those kids and their specialized hospitals. that really bugs me... sheesh...

or maybe we can show a little bit of sensitivity?? Eventually, we all need some to come our way.

S.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:52 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:

Actually, I find her rather fascinating.

But most of the time, they're just there. So, no, I'm not triggered by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates