Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 03:49 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I don't know what the big deal is: they are simply there in the background translating for those hard of hearing whose primary language as ASL. If it bothers you, don't pay any attention.
In some instances, they are exactly right next to the speaker.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:06 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Signers are an unusual sight at a press conference. It seems like they haven't been used that widely in the past for press briefings and public announcements. Probably should be, but weren't.

It's totally understandable why someone might be taken aback. Honestly, I found it a bit of a distraction. Now it's become routine, so, whatever.

It does seem like many signers are overweight. Maybe there should be a body type requirement like for newscasters and meteorologists--young, thin, pretty. And scantily clad! That would reduce the objections considerably.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just can't take it any more......every press conference has one of these weirdos, and they're getting worse. The lady at the Minn press conference yesterday was just bizarre with her antics. They seem to all be the oddest looking people, do they teach that in the classes?

Why can't we just use closed caption like we used to?
I don't know why they don't use CC like normal. It is distracting and there are so many wild expressions from them. I don't have a strong opinion on it because I am not deaf however and maybe I will learn something on the subject. Maybe CC doesn't have emotion enough? Guessing.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:50 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just can't take it any more......every press conference has one of these weirdos, and they're getting worse. The lady at the Minn press conference yesterday was just bizarre with her antics. They seem to all be the oddest looking people, do they teach that in the classes?

Why can't we just use closed caption like we used to?
Some say they are fully invested and passionate about their job. Others will say that they look completely unhinged.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:27 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't know why they don't use CC like normal. It is distracting and there are so many wild expressions from them. I don't have a strong opinion on it because I am not deaf however and maybe I will learn something on the subject. Maybe CC doesn't have emotion enough? Guessing.
In a video, CC is preferable because it can be read by hard-of-hearing people who don't know sign language, AND by the deaf. But obviously this isn't an option for a live interview or press conference. In my experience sign language translators are only used when requested--when there will be a deaf person or persons in the audience who needs one. But I don't attend these live press conferences; maybe they have to assume that deaf people may be present.

As a few people have pointed out, the facial expressions are necessary to add meaning to the signs. They're part of the language and can't be toned down too much, or it would be like someone whispering and others not being able to hear everything they say.

ASL is really quite fascinating. People with no exposure to it assume that signers simply replace each spoken word of a sentence with a sign, but it doesn't work that way at all. It's about as different from spoken English as Chinese.

As far as I'm concerned, I can listen to any boring speaker drone on about any topic if there is an interpreter to watch; it is so interesting. But that's me and my interests are obviously not the majority.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Maybe CC doesn't have emotion enough? Guessing.
There's no symbol/sign in ASL for "question mark".

ASL employs a different grammatical structure.

In plain English, you'd ask, "Is your sister happy?"

But, in ASL gloss it's, "YOUR SISTER, HAPPY (EBR)

EBR = Eye-brows raised (as in asking a question and many hearing people actually raise their eye-brows when asking a question).

The ASL sign for the number 8 is also used coming from the chest to indicate you like something and the sign coming from chest with a flick of the wrist indicates you don't like something.

To clarify to prevent misunderstandings, you nod your head while making the sign to indicate you like something and shake your head to indicate you don't.

There are only so many signs you can make with the human hand, and to increase the number of signs you add movement and facial expressions are important.

The sign for understand is a raised index finger next to your temple. Nodding means you do understand, but shaking your head means you don't understand. Or, while shaking your head with the raised finger next to your temple then pointing at another, like you, is a statement that you don't understand, while eye-brows raised is a question, "You don't understand?"

And, yes, the teletypes the Deaf use often print in all caps, so some write in all caps sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Is this a Great Debate?
Hardly. If falls under Gripes & Complaints by Intolerant People Totally Lacking Empathy.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:24 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
She didn't word it as well as you say ...what's a 'maroon'?
You are seriously not familiar with Bugs Bunny?

ETA: Forgot you are an Aussie, so maybe not!

Bugs Bunny was an old cartoon character who would say, "What a maroon!" instead of "moron".

Old 06-04-2020, 12:59 PM

560 posts, read 539,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So what is wrong with having a choice for YOU (and others like you) to watch the sign language, and a choice for ME (and others like me) who find the signing distracting? Why is it that YOUR way is the only acceptable way? Can you not comprehend that what YOU find necessary, others may find distracting?
cuz *you* can hear whereas i can't, so in my case i don't have a choice or as many options as you would get. you have a gadzillion more choices as a HEARING able body person, so if your small mind can't grasp that, you can just go off and don't bother.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

If falls under Gripes & Complaints by Intolerant People Totally Lacking Empathy.
THANK YOU!!

All caps intentional.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So what is wrong with having a choice for YOU (and others like you) to watch the sign language, and a choice for ME (and others like me) who find the signing distracting? Why is it that YOUR way is the only acceptable way? Can you not comprehend that what YOU find necessary, others may find distracting?
This is what you're going to flaunt the "choice" card about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates